1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Are BOC ties actually worth anything? I've had a couple that have festered on Ebay for months with no interest even at $10-15 BIN pricing.

I've redonated a couple...

2. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Here is the ebay completed listing for pre-owned BOC ties.... I'll let you do the rest [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Ties-/15662..._Complete=1&_nkw=robert+talbott+best+of+class

Is my asking price high, yes, but its very hard to get a $50 offer then you are only asking $39 for it.....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Only the gold label BOC and newer have sold decently for me. And even then only the thicker woven type, definitely not the horrible 90's patterns.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Spoke to three different people and a supervisor - this is unfortunately not true.

5. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

For the big time Ebay flippers:

I've noticed some decent looking used bespoke suits lately...however, the prices are absolutely ridiculous. We're talking over 4 digits...however, I've noticed that the same sellers also use the "Or best offer" option.

Would it be downright rude to make a 100-200$ offer on a used bespoke suit going for BIN 1000$ or offer? I mean, sure, it's probably a good suit, but then again it's bespoke made for someone else.

Ar these guys just putting out high BIN prices so that hopefully some guy will bid half or even 1/3, or are they really expecting those prices?
    I noticed that one regular "flipper" had bought a used bespoke suit for 50$, and now trying to turn it for 600$...it's been there for months.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Brianpore with the mathematics in 3...2...1...

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

What shipping was purchased and what shipping was used?

8. tben

tben Senior member

"Expedited(it was like 13 bucs)." Assuming, because the package has not yet arrived and his handling time was one day, not expedited due to the former. August 8th was the purchase.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Yes, that's exactly what they're doing. I just bought a Brioni linen SC that I could've sworn that I'd seen before. I did some searching, and I'd actually bid on it a couple of months ago. When I bought it this time it was listed at $695. I offered $500, which was immediately accepted. Why? Because the flipper had paid $200 for it in an auction listing. It's crazy how easy it is to make a buck that way.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

12. SpooPoker

FTFY

1 person likes this.
  13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You paid on Thursday...or did you wait til Friday?

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

So I would like to share a bit of my run so far after a little more than a month. Ive sold about 30 things. My highest item was some RRL jeans for 72 dollars. Lowest was a J. Crew shirt for 2.50. I currently have 23 positive feedback and struggling for more.

Some tips I'd like to share.

Never start an auction under your lowest acceptable amount. If you want to make 20 dollars off a nice shirt you paid 10 dollars for, pricing at 30 isn't what you wanna do. Factor in all the costs and make sure to not stiff yourself on shipping.

Auctions dont seem to get the exposure you want when youre new with little feedback. I would encourage you use ebay amd research a good price for your item and set it as a BINOBO and consider all offers.

If you sell women stuff, follow up and be very polite. Women tend to leave feedback more often then men. Of course, you should always do this.

Shipping and packaging is the first impression they get. If its well packaged itll start off their impression right. Correct item description is the last impression and often what remains in their head as they leave feedback.

If shipping was less than what you charged, refund them. Its amazing how positive a reaction youll get. The 2-3 dollars is not worth a low rating on your DSRs.

15. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Actually, I suppose the faceless people could immediately go to a forum like this, whine about the low-ball bidder and then put them on a blocked bidder list.. [​IMG]

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

18. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Picked some up from Nordie's Rack - tagged $140, marked down to $39 - new in box w/tag. Desirable ones can fetch $70 to $80 new on eBay but no guarantee...and why I only grabbed a couple. Used, almost no luck except for 7 folds and even those can be difficult to unload - my last one went unsold and barely watched.

10% ($100) of the $1000 BINOBO is pretty low-ball, but if I had it for months and paid true thrift prices for a suit ($12), with no bites, I'd accept it.
    20% ($200) is a very different number and I'd definitely accept if it was thrifted, or even bought new by me, worn, and trying to sell it on - more than I'd get from consigning it locally.
    It's when it gets ridiculous that people - like me - come here to whine & vent about it. Which I won't do now despite getting another rant-worthy offer today. As was mentioned, don't be afraid to offend some nameless eBay schlub, but do know that some sellers do take it as a personal affront and just decline & block so you have no option to offer more. If an offer is reasonable, or close and not an obvious fishing low-ball expedition, I accept or counter-offer a bit more if need be. You'll never know what someone paid for something or thinks it is worth on BINOBO unless you make the move.

19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Sorry - double quote but didn't get the gist when I first read your reply. I think they mean the seller puts them on their own eBay blocked bidder list - not the SF blacklist. I can't see adding anyone to the SF blacklist just for being a low-ball bidder - that's not what it is for and hopefully folks are not adding for that reason.

20. tben

tben Senior member

[​IMG]

I see what you did there. Business days..duh. The tracking number isn't showing up so that's no good, but I always pay right away. I guess no big deal then. I was just hoping for the item so I could get that guy out to the cleaners and home to me by this weekend.