Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

According to the ebay guidelines used clothing should be cleaned prior to selling, but I'm sure most people (myself included) do not have items drycleaned. I specifically mention if there are any spots which need attention, or do the spot cleaning myself before listing. I would imagine most people are going to have the items dry cleaned anyway.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I spot treat my items with a wet paper towel. They're clean, I promise :hide:

3. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Thanks guys. That's what makes sense to me: any spots, stains, etc., get treated by a reasonable attempt, and if they remain, they get disclosed; washable items get washed.

4. Calder

Calder Senior member

Buying tip: keep a search going for auctions of women's handkerchiefs. Many people are idiots and will list Gentlemen's Pocket Squares there.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Is there a "technical term" for the extra material tucked inside a sport coat / blazer sleeve, for purposes of potential lengthening? I have always called it the "leave" because I thought I read that somewhere but it's probably incorrect.

Tip: if a sport coat / blazer outer pocket is still sewn shut, it's called "basted" shut...I've seen eBay listings for handmade jackets that say "pockets still factory sewn shut", and that certainly can't help gain interest.

6. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I've seen the term "let-out", which is what I've started using. It's descriptive, at least.

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

Thank-you!

8. TheNeedMachine

Thank you - that does sound more descriptive...and probably more correct than "leave".

9. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Good to know, while we do not see much duty on foreign shipments in the US, it is amazing on how much duty can be in some countries. FYI if you ship USPS via eBay the description on the customs form automatically populates with the exact working in the title description. So the great adjectives like gorgeous, amazing, almost new, perfect, etc. all go into the customs description. I try to edit the customs description to the bare minimum; Used shoes, used shirt. . .

10. ruben

ruben Senior member

Good to know, especially the "used" part.

here's one for buyers: Don't ask me to dramatically falsify the customs information then leave negative feedback about it when I don't.

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

We have a 20% VAT on incoming things. However, things things that have been sent via USPS to me have never gotten flagged. I don't know if it's Austria or my luck, but I even sent a new Kitchen-Aid here that weighed 35kg and didn't have to pay. ANYTHING sent via UPS, FedEx or DHL from outside the EU always incurs costs. They collect VAT on everything (listed price + shipping) and turn it in to the Austrian government.

I ordered 3 t-shirts from the US with a total cost of about $30 from a company. They charged about $35 to ship them, not a huge deal. However, they first went to AUSTRALIA and then to Austria over the course of about 6 weeks. When they arrived to my door, I had to pay around €20 cash to the guy to get them.

I don't know why a seller would agree to that. I wouldn't deviate from any policies that I have for myself. I receive questions every time from Germans that complain about shipping prices from Austria. Yesterday, I received 2 questions about items that Germans won and asked if I'd send them uninsured, presumably to save the money. I always point out that I make nothing from shipping and send insured via Austrian Post. I give them the exact weight and the link to the calculator. I also let them know that insurance is about 50 cents and that I won't ship without it. What they usually don't know is that if they outright refuse to pay the insurance, I'll pay it myself.

I lost one package (possibly mis-delivered, it was never returned) on a great looking Brioni shirt that was just a bit too big for me. I sent it within Austria and the guy claimed it never arrived. I didn't argue, just apologized and refunded his money. I also learned that everything needs to be insured.

Does anyone allow/offer free pick up? I had one guy in my city ask if he could meet me to pick up a shirt. It wasn't terribly inconvenient for me, so I agreed and it was actually pretty simple. He met me at the right place and time and by the time I walked home (10 minutes) he had already left positive feedback. Curious if anyone else is willing to do that?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks for the tip! I hate that my buyers have to pay so much just to receive the item after they have already paid for it. I wouldn't want to unknowingly add to that cost by using a poor description.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have done free pick up on several occasions. Actually, through ebay, I found a SF lurker in my town and have dealt with him 3 or 4 times now. Otherwise, I have sold several large items with free local pickup or a cost per mile for me to deliver it within a XX mile radius. Sold a dirt bike, wood stove and a lawn mower this way.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I thought I would share a (thus far) successful story of diffusing an upset client post sale :

Item - $575+ handbag.

HER:

ME:

HER:
    ME:

HER:
    I sent her a very long and detailed email on the best way to maximize her listing - so, lets see, but I thought the exchange was worth a share here.

15. TheNeedMachine

Heads up - added two new deadbeats to the blacklist. 23 days since the auctions closed, 2 invoices sent to each, 1 unpaid case opened on both with no response at all. Closed the cases and got my fees back - you might wanna check the blacklist and update your own - they are both still active users on eBay...now with 1 unpaid strike each (but i can't leave negative feedback for them since they never paid to begin with).