Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

You already know the best remedy for brain chaos... fishing. However, as you are painfully aware, it is only a temporary reprieve. I have yet to find a long-term (non-narcotic) answer to this issue.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I find that the best therapy is to bitch about it to people who understand. My wife thinks I overreact to these things and doesn't seem to appreciate me talking about it. At least have all y'all to be my virtual therapists.

But since you mention it, fishing certainly lets me escape the virtual reality of the internet. I need to spend more time out of cell coverage...

3. Pronto Merona

Pronto Merona Well-Known Member

I totally get it and can get frustrated as well. I try to treat bad people / experiences as temporary distractions. If I catch myself thinking about them any longer than necessary to deal with the issue, I think about my thoughts* and deliberately choose to move on to something else. Any extra time I spend thinking about a jackass trying to get a something of mine for free is allowing that jackass to potentially take not only my money/clothing/whatever but also my time and thoughts. I could be using that time and those thoughts to sell more things, so that's what i try to do.

By no means am I great at this all the time, but it helps me.

*was not expecting to talk about metacognition on a message board ever in my life.
    **nor did i ever expect to sell stuff on ebay... but here we are.
    ***i'm def not a professional so my theory may be total garbage.

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I came across this article the other day on Tenkara Rod Co.'s Facebook page. I think this will allow me to escape more thoroughly, at least when I can get out by myself before my kid is old enough to come with. The concept of going for really long trail runs with fishing gear, food, a water filter, and basic gear appeals to me.

http://trailandultrarunning.com/ultrafishing/

But yeah, escaping the negative thoughts to other projects definitely helps. I was overthinking this crap an hour ago, and started looking at fishing and climbing videos from my local favorite places, and got my mind thinking about my next escape from town.

5. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior member

Simple answer: don't go thrifting, or to estate sales, until you're caught up. Otherwise, you'll NEVER catch up. Spend all your time listing until it's done, even though it makes you crazy. You need to fight the heady addiction of the kop, otherwise it's an endless log jam. If you're not able to stay away from the hunt, then you need to raise your kop/do-not-kop threshold to the roof.

The fundamental problem is that the rate of (potential) acquisition is an enormous multiple of the rate of prep, photograph +pp, measure, pack (if you prepack) and list. This is especially true if you attend estate sales: hit a doozie, and your vehicle is full to the roof. Two hours of "shopping" can turn into literally a week of effort, full time, or a month and more part time. And, unless you've hired some help, it's all on you. So even if you have reached some kind of equilibrium, a big estate or thriftening can throw your schedule off for a month or more if you're part time.

With the incoming deluge slowed to a trickle, how you get motivated to lose the backlog will depend on your own psychological makeup. If you're flipping as a business, even a side-business, your primary motivator will be the money that's now tied up in depreciating inventory, rather than working to generate you more. The yield on the money is dependent both on margin and time to sale. So you need to get it moving. And moving fast. If necessary, just sling it all up as BIN/BOs, and edit later. It's not working till it's listed.

If you're a hobbyist, the motivation is harder to come by. If you want to solve it in a blink, send it all to one of the thread members that takes consignments.

As regards methodology, (pre-emptive multiple TWSS) some people do best with the equivalent of an all-nighter, while others prefer doing a few at a time, a certain number a day. Some do well with music, TV or video, while for others, it just distracts and slows them down. You just have to see what works for you. I stream music during the photography, but for listings I need absolute silence, no distractions whatsoever, or they don't get done. Or I make too many mistakes.