Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Posting this here before trying the thrift thread. Anyone ever heard of a label called Roots? I'm pretty sure its not the Roots of olympic sporting wear. Its on a blazer I grabbed because it looked interesting. The AGWU label puts it between 68-76.

Basically I'm wondering if it was a brand or a store label. I'll post a picture when I get a chance if anyone is interested.

2. stiffrhythms

stiffrhythms Well-Known Member

I see that label a lot, sometimes on jackets made by another maker (as in, "Made by Southwick for Roots" or whatever). I'm guessing it's an out of business menswear store that had a lot of store-branded garments? Of varying quality, but probably middle of the road mostly? This is all based on guesswork from seeing it around.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The end of the saga, no doubt... I still half want to send her a rant via email (outside of e bay).

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.55.03 AM.png

4. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior member

Ran it up the flagpole just once for a very insistent guy in the neighborhood, and here's what happened: I met the guy at a 3rd party location, and he tried on (and bought) two suits and a sport coat. I went on to the 'Bay, pulled down the listings, and within about 5 minutes received a snippy note from eBay giving me a good scolding, and saying they'd let me off with it this time, and not to do it again. It's not exactly hard for them to flag eBay messages making off-platform purchase requests. Also, from your perspective, it takes far too much unproductive time. Bottom line: total PITA. Don't bother.

I suppose if you run CL listings also (or other locally based platforms), you could reasonably ask such a person to check your CL listings. I have long suspected that people whose listings say "items are advertised for sale elsewhere and may be sold at any time" are running that kind of a deal. I do run some high-$$ items like cameras and Vuitton stuff (as well as bulky goods like furniture and bikes) on CL as well as the 'Bay, as I really HATE risking returns associated with big numbers. I prefer to have cash in hand. So that's one above-board workaround.

5. Pronto Merona

Pronto Merona Well-Known Member

I've got a huge backlog of stuff to list. What's your best motivational tip, trick, youtube video, song, book, etc. for getting yourself going when you are behind? Prohibit yourself from searching for new items until you sell X amount? Commit to doing X listings per day for a week?

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I have FXX On Demand so I will put on a random season of the Simpsons and just let it play in the background. I've seen the show so many times that I don't have to pay attention but I can hear it in and know what's going on. I'll hang out doing that for 4-5 hours at a time, taking mini-Simpsons breaks. I've done it with dumb comedies I saw a lot when I was a kid too (Ace Ventura, Pauly Shore movies, etc.) Basically something you know really well and don't feel like you need to focus on it. Audiobooks are fun too.

If I listen to music while I list, it's usually Roxy Music, Lou Reed, John Cale, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, the first two B-52s albums, etc.

Right now, I'm working on listings and my wife is playing Skyrim so I'm listening to fantasy battles and her saying stuff like "fuck you, mother fucker", "sorry about your head, friend", and "where the fuck is the cave entrance?"

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

TWSS

8. JFST

JFST Senior member

9. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Senior member

apologies as i'm sure this has been asked a million times before but -
    zero feedback buyer with account created the same day bought something from me ($250 value) via BIN and I received payment through paypal already. address is confirmed. but i'm still worried they're going to pull something - is there anything beyond delivery with signature that I can do to cover myself? do horror stories of buyers claiming sellers sent them empty packages/bunk items and getting full refunds still exist?

10. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

99.9% chance you'll be just fine. The buyer probably just really liked your item and created an account. Everybody had 0 feedback at one time.