Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

Can you then see those receipts in the non mobile desktop browser session?

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Yep. It's linked to your account so when you log in on a desktop, the info is all saved together. That along with a PayPal card connected to your account makes tax time a breeze.

3. ORLThrifter

ORLThrifter Senior member

I used a Neat for work and was really pleased with it. Super portable (I used it with my laptop in my truck) and never had an issue.

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Yeah so this saved my ass again. I used this site back in June when I needed to fix the active content stuff. isdntek.com/ebaytools. Don't let the MyspaceMaster™ design fool you, it's wicked fast, doesn't log your ebay account, and for the things it offers to fix works FAR faster than ebay bulk editor.

I used the Bulk Active Scanner to determine which of my listings had HTTP issues and outbound links, and the Active Content Bulk Editor (offers much more than only fixing active content; his branding is terrible) to generate a giant revised listing CSV that could be fed into ebay's FileExchange.

10 minutes after uploading to FileExchange, all my revised listings (351) no longer have issues and they look the same (+ a small "Created with FileExchange" bumper logo at the bottom).

This doesn't solve my problem going forward, as I use custom templates with GS and will have to update those myself. But it does save all my current listings from whatever was going to happen at the end of this month.

I can't recommend this guy's tools enough. Strikes me as one of those poor developers who doesn't realize that software is magic when it works and that I'd pay for magic.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 3:41 PM

5. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I saw dymo and thought you were looking for a scanner and a printer, answered too quick.

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

My company uses Expensify for our Expense Reporting and I use Genius Scan app in conjunction with that. It allows you to make PDFs of multiple pictures. For instance I had these two receipts on my desk from my last estate sale weekend. This took me 30 seconds and it sent it to my email. I think the pro version of the app was $5 or so (also an allowed expense on taxes).

Attached Files:

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

You guys get local people wanting to checkout your items for sale? I've had this happen twice so far. One person bought a shirt and organized a local pickup, mentioned if I could bring any other shirts from XX brand that would be cool. Made some addition sales. Someone else wanted to try a bunch of other stuff too. It's sort of weird letting someone over to try on clothes, but I'd rather have local clients than selling stuff on ebay, much easier..

8. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Had it happen once, wouldn't do it. Felt super silly refusing the person but it is absolutely not worth the risk to me.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

+1

EBay has ways of filtering out those messages, and going outside the system could easily come back to bite you.

I’m not about to sacrifice more than $100k/year in sales to make one customer happy. I even actively discourage local pickup.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yes, does seem a bit risky as I have a few valuable items up on Ebay. So they known I have this and that...

11. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Not that for me. It's what Fueco said.

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I used to get requests on the regular to meet before I added free shipping. It was always a hassle because you'd have to block out that time and it was only to save them a bit of money on shipping.

Then again, I didn't have people interested in multiple items and I couldn't "upsell" the extra things I brought.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I had someone a couple of weeks ago request local pickup in order to save $7 for shipping. The guy lives 35 miles from me. I pointed out to him that he would have to drive 70 miles, incurring the gas expenses, as well as the loss of 1.5+ hours of his time. He had me ship the item.

14. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Senior member

Paris, PM me if you happen to come and want a free
    Most of my sales are personnal pickup, it's doable since Paris is the biggest city with the biggest market for clothing, I meet buyers next to the closest subway station and never had issues.
    It's practical due to the lack of fee : no shipping and the website takes no commission, no returns either and very little tracking. French prizes for second-hand are lower so limiting costs is vital.
    Still, I wouldn't do it as a buyer

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wasn't considering all that when I opened the boutique, but I get asked that a ton. But the people that all come to the boutique to pick up the purchases are all super cool locals. More often than not they come to try it on first and then bid and ship. in fact someone came yesterday to try on a leather I have up and I sold him two leather jackets in store, including a sick Cifonelli @kbadgley84 :slayer:
    (and hes still gonna bid on the jacket)