Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

In Canada, GSP collects and rapes you up front. USPS you can get lucky and it gets missed. If they do collect, They convert the USD to CAD and then it's 10$ + 18% duty +13% tax so it can add up quick.

2. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Question regarding funds getting put on hold (as a seller)...

If I understand this right: The "counter" (how much you sell) will be reseted periodically?
    I have 100% rating, have sold over 25 items, have sold for thousands of dollars, always sold the same type of stuff, but sill get the hold.

Does this mean that I have to continuously sell stuff, all year round, in order to get the money right away.

Kinda sucks when you're just a casual seller, mostly selling expensive items. It's almost as If I have to go out and buy a bundle of hundred ties, and sell them on a monthly basis.

Edit: I'm also a seller based in Norway, so literally 0.1% of my sales go to other Norwegians (through Ebay). The vast majority of customers are in the US, and then UK, Australia, or Hong-Kong.

I see the Ebay policy states that x number of sales only count when done domestically...so I guess that means I'll never get past the holding period? As my address is registered in Norway, and I never sell to anyone here.

3. Kazoo

Kazoo Senior member

One for the blocked list. Played the SNAD return game so he didn't have to pay shipping. Said shirt I sent was "dirty and unwearable" Came back in the same mint condition I sent it in:
    goodi.rober

4. b19pen15

b19pen15 Senior member

Off subject, but some of you might appreciate/hate this.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

So go daddy online bookkeeping is the way to go to track ebay sales and expenses? I'm using a spreadsheet, but keeping this spreadsheet up to date is becoming a part time job.

6. suited

suited Senior member

For me, yes. I started with a spreadsheet, too. It was helpful at first when I was learning the market, but useless after that. Go Daddy gets your taxes in order as well. Are you purchasing everything with a PayPal debit card?

I'm not liking eBay's new policy of highlighting items that offer free 30-day returns, and essentially punishing sellers who don't. Do the people running eBay not understand the difference between a gigantic company like Amazon, and someone selling stuff on eBay in their spare time? Offering free returns could double my cost of goods sold on something like a sport coat. Free returns plus a refund of original shipping would triple it. This will hurt small businesses the most.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017 at 6:55 AM

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I'm late on this, but I started with continuous lighting and then transitioned to strobes. It has been much easier for me to achieve bright photo's and to get a bright white background. I use alien bees strobes from paul c. buff. I have two on the subject using umbrella reflectors and two on the white background.

the light output from strobes will dwarf CFL's or LED's until you get in the pro range of video lights. I didn't have any experience with them either, but I spent most of a day experimenting with exposures, shutter speed and aperture before getting to where it was consistent. Since then, its been a set range.

I would recommend the alien bees to anyone doing this. I bought them because brianpore was using them, and IMO he had/has the best photos out there. Snoogz also has great photos and he uses strobes.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I agree, feel like my spreadsheet is becoming less useful. It was good to see what items were returning what. But now I just need to see an overview of income to outcome. Why do you ask PayPal debit card? About 80% of my purchases come from local Goodwill's and they only take cash or checks there which is insane, and also a unique problem when it comes to keeping track of expenses..

9. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

The way I understand it (it's not offered in Canada) people like it to a) keep track of all their expenses in one place by using it strictly for business, and b) being linked to your PayPal account ensures you're spending Fake eBay Money first instead of real money from your bank account.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

That's great info. I think I can withdraw money from my paypal account at palces.. I might try to do that since I'm mostly cash.

@jebarne what do you do? You're in my area.

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I work for an telecom equipment manufacturer, but am contemplating retiring to the coast.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

No, no. Sorry meant how do you keep track of purchases / expenses in this area since all the goodwills are cash / check only.