Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Direct. They come with diffusion screens.

2. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Any Garagesale users having trouble right now? I just get the "generating previewa' notification, but my listing templates won't actually load. What the hell?

EDIT: I refreshed my token and it's working again.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 3:08 PM

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

When someone is purchasing an item outside the US, from a US based seller, do they see a disclaimer during checkout that they may be responsible for import duties? I have someone claiming 100% import duties on a $30 used item. Do I even respond?

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Do you use the Global Shipping Program? If that's the case, they could be charged both shipping and import duties. The numbers can be obscene, depending on the country/price.

5. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

PSA: For eBay purchases. Hope it works for you

Today Only! Save $15
    On Purchases of $75+

Shop now and save big. Use coupon code
    PSAVE15NOW.

Don’t wait! This exclusive offer ends today at 6PM PT.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 5:41 PM

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Hans, no GSP for me. There's no disclaimer there for international shipping when you make a purchase? I'd be pissed if I bought something and USPS demanded a 100% duty to release my package. It wouldn't even occur to me that an import duty would be levied.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I don't remember having seen any type of disclaimer, unfortunately. Generally speaking, people should be aware of it, but I'm sure that's not the case for those that have never ordered from outside their country (or EU).

Countries handle their customs & duty differently with some more severe than others. The UK is pretty tough on it. I get hit once a year or so on packages as long as they're delivered by the Austrian Post. I just assume each time I order something, I should factor it in. Electronics are popular to get hit with fees. If packages are sent via FedEx, UPS, etc. from outside the EU, there is a 100% chance that I'll get hit because the carriers collect on everything, adding their own fee on top.

The way it works here is that you receive a letter stating the amount due and why. You pay it and receive the package. A couple of times, I have received unsolicited gifts (such as the holidays) from abroad. I sent an email with an explanation and they delivered the package immediately, much to my surprise.

In your situation, it's the buyer's responsibility to know. They can be angry, but it shouldn't be directed at you. If the amount came to 100% + of the item's value, there was probably an additional "processing" fee added to it. To which country was it sent? If someone from that country buys from you in the future, you can send out an email before you ship that explains customs duty/fees are NOT included and that their country may charge them. Not sure that will help, but at least they will know.