Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

2. bert9000

bert9000 Senior member

3. dadjeans

dadjeans Senior member

I don't do a high enough volume to deliver a verdict but for the handful of things I've sold since Shippo came out in Canada I've noticed the discount on Canada Post labels has been either the same as PayPal or slightly better. I also like the interface better than PayPal's but for now I'll still be checking the rates through both services and going with the cheaper option.

That being said, you're in Markham where at least two businesses offer USPS forwarding (ChitChats and StallionExpress) for a much better price than you can get shipping through any Canada Post service. They may be worth looking at instead if you haven't already considered them.

4. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Yep, I know of the two. I use Stallion extensively for USPS since it's cheaper than ChitChats per package. Shippo gave me a similar rate for a 12" x 12" x 5" package that weighs 2KG as Stallion and Chitchats, and dropping it off at Canada Post was more convenient, hence I gave Shippo a try.

Interface is nice, but refunds on unused or void labels are returned as shipping credit, not to the card used which does suck, since eBay returns

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

People were saying that they found holes in items after they had taken the tags off. In that case, you just reattach the tag and, voila, the item is returnable again.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

My sales may be way down (being a stay at home dad takes a lot of time!) these last couple of months, but I'm happy to see all the right numbers in this report.

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 1.30.57 PM.png

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I was looking at a pair of cheap J. Crew shorts that were listed BIN for $14.99. Asked the seller a question to be sure I knew they were the same model I already had. S/he confirmed it, so I went to buy...and the sneaky punk had upped the price to $17.99 in the meantime, just because they knew I was interested.
    :censored:

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I, and someone else, were buying up old Patagonia catalogs. The seller raised the price on the remaining ones four times higher. I know how you feel...

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Getting a bit annoyed trying to research what lighting I should get for my clothes. Not really finding a website that does a great job at reviewing these things. Essentially I've got a wall in my shipping / storing room where I'm free to leave a mannequin up, backdrop, and some lighting. I went to a local shop and they recommended a Savage portrait LED kit ($259). Did some reading and they seem to be OK, but I think they look sort of cheap. And here's the deal, I don't care about them being easy to pack up etc etc. My lighting setup is going to be in my room and only my room. So I was wondering if there's better alternatives where I can get better lighting and less portability, I don't mind spending $400-500 on lighting, though around $300 would be cool.

From my research I probably don't want to go with strobes since I have never operated a DSLR and don't think I'd be able to properly manage strobes, so I think thats out of my league and probably price range. From what I can tell just really bright LEDs with quality stands would be good.

Does anyone have suggestions?

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Here's what I use. I have a third smaller (Spectro LED 9) light as well. They are excellent for the price. If your camera allows setting white balance to color temperature, that will be an easy setup.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909230-REG

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

The link isn't working for me. i haven't gotten a camera yet, thinking like a $300 DSLR with a kit lense, so i think that will allow me to set white balance to color temp.