Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Hi folks. If you've been holding out on a thermal printer, office depot has a good deal on a Dymo 4xl which prints up to 4x6 labels for $110. You have to use the 5% off w/ store pickup - 30% off w/ coupon code 92128439 = $109.72. Store pickup must to be selected to receive discount.

While this model isn't spelled out in ebay's supported printers, it works if set up as a zebra 2844.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...2&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-CJ-_-1122587-_-11263938

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I bag everything I sell in a clear plastic bag of an appropriate size and then I ship in either a box, padded envelope or a poly envelope.

Most shirts are under 1 pound so I mail them 1st class. I use these ebay bags for shirts.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/eBay-Brande...var=551927438532&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Pants go in a box or a padded flat rate envelope, depending on the address of the buyer. West coast is $6.30 in a padded FRE and over $9 in a box. I store them in the clear bags until they sell. Pants are the only items I don't immediately package for shipping after photographs.

For boxes, I mainly use the RRA boxes and RRB boxes for coats.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What size plastic bags do you find fit shirts / pants well? And do you find offering free shipping and trying to keep it economical yourself work the best (things move faster)? Or letting the customer pay for their shipping and having the item in 2-3 days.. By the way, hello from across town in Raleigh! Hope you're enjoying this heat like I am!

5. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I use these for shirts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10000-10-x-13-EcoSwift-Poly-Mailers-Envelopes-Plastic-Shipping-Bags-1-70-MIL/351547765567?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=620579506395&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649. The eBay branded Are more than double the cost, unless you have a store and just need to burn your quarterly coupon. Pants are almost always over 16oz, so I use USPS Padded Flat Rate. I've always charged shipping, but has their own opinion. If you're going to offer returns, you won't have to refund the original shipping, where you would eat that cost with free shipping.

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Came here to post this deal. Good job!

7. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

That is a nice Dymo. I have a smaller Dymo which works fine but with smaller labels. As long as the bar code works, you are in business!

8. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Garage Sale Ver. 7 question. I have been using the new Garage Sale Ver. 7 for a while now on a Mac Mini and it works well....until the Condition Section for the template will not let me select any condition either Preowned or New. Checking the web this problem was solved by others when they refreshed the Ebay token and updated Categories. Refreshing the token was confirmed on Ebay website, and still the same problem. Fortunately Garage Sale 6 is still installed on my computer and works for the time being.

I will call the Iwascoding help line but has anyone had this same problem?

9. bert9000

bert9000 Senior member

Your listings look fine but your photos are pretty low res so if you wanted to I would suggest improve in that area. I also noticed you have "sweep" in your shirt listings. I haven't seen that before on any other listings (and I had to google what it meant) so you can exclude it if you want to avoid extra work(though there's nothing wrong with having it).

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thanks! Yea my phone has a 8 mega pixel camera only and doesn't do great compared to newer phones (especially since I'm running a custom firmware that takes out everything google in Android, including their great photo enhancements). I'll exclude the sweep, anything to save time heh, thanks!