Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

If you create an account a slickdeals.net, you can set up alerts to find out when ebay pushes out coupons and discounts. eBay just started an 8% ebay bucks promo this morning, actually. Although, I don't think sellers would realistically alter their plans based on such promos---they normally last for 24-48 hours with little prior notice.
    I used to sell on ebay---mostly movies and cookware (my other two hobbies), and I understand your desire to protect yourself. My worst sale was a Le Creuset dutch oven that I purchased at clearance for more than I shouldve, which sold for less than I expected; I offered free shipping, and the buyer was in...Alaska, in a remote town that didn't even offer ups or fedex. When the buyer received the totally brand new pot, they found a tiny bubble in the enamel (which is totally natural and normal), and wanted a replacement. To avoid neg feedback, I had to pay for shipping back to me, track down a replacement pot in exactly the same color, and ship it back to backwoods alaska. I think I lost almost $400 on the deal, not including the time I spent cajoling the customer to not leave bad feedback. Anyway, I know your perspective.

Two more notes on listings: even as a fairly seasoned ebay buyer, I don't pay much attention to the description because, while many buyers who don't read the description, many sellers don't create good descriptions, either. E.g., my wife likes Brooks Brothers clothing, so I'm always looking for items she might want. If I had a nickle for every item I bought that was actually 346 line (but not disclosed as such), I'd be rich.
    This leads to my next point: sellers should document every aspect of the item, both verbally and graphically, because there is a power imbalance between sellers and buyers. While ebay is known to be buyer-friendly while resolving disputes, initial transactions are hugely seller-friendly. This is because the seller is the only party who can see every detail of the item. E.g., they might post a picture of a stain on a garment, but poor lighting might make the stain appear to be a shadow; without a verbal description, the buyer has no way to know what the discoloration actually is. The seller can say, "well, i put a picture of the problem with the listing, I've done my duty," but the result will be a very unhappy buyer. Conversely, there is no possible discrepancy in what the buyer is offering to the seller. i.e., the buyer's payment is precise, and both parties know exactly how much the payment is worth. Therefore, the best case scenario is both the buyer and seller gets something in equal condition than what they expected; but the worst case scenario (and far more likely) is that the buyer receives something that isn't quite what they expected, yet the seller still gets the agreed upon price. The only way to mitigate this problem is by communicating every possible detail about the item in the listing before the buyer purchases. As a rule of thumb, if the actual text description of the item is shorter than your boilerplate language in the description which details your standard policies, you're doing something wrong.

2. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior member

Oops. Off to Home Depot this morning to get a wider shelf that will reach the next stud . . . I see lots of lint rolling in my future, to get all that damn sheetrock detritus off the navy blazers . . .

IMG_6724.JPG IMG_6725.JPG

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I disagree with the part about detailing every aspect of the item. Take good high res pictures, and describe any flaws, yes. But detailing every single pill of fabric on a sweater is an unreasonable expectation. It also leaves you open to a buyer opening a case because "You missed this minute flaw in your description." If you remain somewhat vague about problems, but provide top-notch pics, it's on the buyer to seek more info for perceived problems. For example, if I say that a shirt has some staining, and show stains in the pictures, it's harder for a buyer to win a SNAD case for a stain.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I don't sell much online, but I've only experienced this with vintage items. Completed listings will show a solid history of $200 sales, but I'll get people making $15, then $20, then $23 offers, along with comments like, C'mon, you either got this from a thrift or from your attic -- you're making a 300% return!

6. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Senior member

Yep, right on, and they're probably all dealers trying to make 10x!!

7. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Well, I just got a 3-day listing ban. Turns out eBay's algorithms don't always play well with private labels. Be careful if you're listing anything that Kiton made...

I could fight with a CSR on the phone about it (if their phones were working... they're not) but I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to carve my way through half of the outsourced, form-letter-ass bureaucracy before the ban simply went away on its own.

Fuck's sake.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

If its legit I would call them, speaking with someone should be a quick 5 min call to get it removed if a legit reason and autoflagged

9. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

EBay CSRs will be there for a few more hours. I would not rest until this issue was settled.

10. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

The last four call attempts have been disconnected on the second ring. I'll make another attempt after I've cooled off a bit.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I usually see that accept best offer box too, but it's not there on any of my auction. Looks like this. My guess is I'm stuck on some new fast way to list stuff and need to find out how to load the old lister.. :

offers.png

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I had to call to reinstate myself after a BB suit with EZ cloth made by Lardini got flagged. Make sure you're calm when you call. I got a clueless rep, but I was nice and she listened until she understood what's up and then lifted the listing ban.

13. bert9000

bert9000 Senior member

Can anyone recommend a single shirt stand for taking photos? They're harder to find than I thought.