Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

2. tobehknese

tobehknese Senior member

apparently i am able to sell now. thank you gents!

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Can you record it? I am very confused on managing auctions after they are launched. How I keep the active ones visible and the sold moved out.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Out of curiosity, why would you need to keep the active ones in GS? That just eats up memory, no? What would you need to use GS for with them if they are live? Any edits or re lists can just be done through the auction itself.

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I can only tell you how I'm set up.

To keep myself organized, I have 3 folder groupings: One for Good Till Cancelled; two for 10 day auctions, starting Thursday until Sunday, named according to ending date. All auctions are in one of those folders until someone pays, and I then drag it to my Sold item folders.

New in release 7 (that I don't like) is that when you re-list, GarageSale creates a new auction in the folder where it originates, and then moves the auction you're re-listing into a folder of your choice. I created a separate folder to capture the re-listings.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 8.27.28 AM.png

I too keep all my auctions. When I list something from the same maker, I usually search for a previous template and start from there. I guess technically I could delete them all after the return period ends, but I'm listing 20 items a week, not 350 so I don't need the space.

I'd like to hear @txwoodworker weigh in on this because he's really organized.

jb

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That makes sense. I understand keeping the GTC ones (which I do too) but the auctions I just delete right after. If a buyer flakes out and I need to re list, I just do it from the auction.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It definitely eats up memory. I don't manage anything from GarageSale, and just manage active listings from eBay. I tend to delete half of the auctions shown in GS roughly monthly to keep the program running smoothly. My templates are all organized by category and item type (for example, I have separate templates for chinos, cords, jeans, selvedge jeans and dress pants).

8. SpooPoker

+100 same

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This message cracked me up a little.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 1.33.56 PM.png

10. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

@SpooPoker I have noticed that when an item has damage or stains, you disclose it in the Notes section, but don't make an attempt to take photos of the problem areas like many eBayers do. Has this ever come back to bite you? For example, the spots noted on these Incotex pants.

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I have templates for everything I've listed. I have a bunch because I use different measurement guides for each type. When I was starting, I liked how thenewbeat/sissyspacerock did their measurements and I adopted it.

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 3.48.13 PM.png

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I never realized how dependent my Ebay listings were on having no other commitments of things to do on a daily basis until my wife went into the hopspital for a few weeks before our son was born on 6/3. I've got a cold, so I've been banished from the NICU. I listed most items in a week since the second week of March! That's 90 for the week ending today.

13. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

:colgate: I totally took for granted all of the free time I had before kids. Now I list late at night or often when the kids are gone at activities. Does your wife help you now? Mine just started helping with photographs and my productivity skyrocketed since then...

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

SHe helps when she has free time, but being a software engineering manager takes up most of her working hours. She makes more than I do, so it's all good...