Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I stopped trying. They rarely disclose damage and most of the items I've bought have been in terrible shape.

2. bert9000

bert9000 Senior member

Buyer kentanja bought something (Buy It Now) and instantly cancelled. Do with that what you will.

3. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Might want to block
    upload_2017-5-27_7-51-28.png
    Guy buys a pair of jeans via auction on Sunday that he had been asking me to sell him before the end. On Monday, he asks when I plan to ship. I politely explained that I was out of town and would ship on Wednesday. I told him that I occasionally travel for work and that was specifically why I use 3 day handling time, which I would still meet. His response was that should be telling buyers if I plan to ship on the last possible day. Whatever. He gets the jeans yesterday and I get a rude message about how he's returning them because they've been shrunk at least two sizes (measurements were provide) and, even though they didn't smell when I shipped, they now "reek of smoke." I'm sure the neg is coming, as well.

4. bert9000

bert9000 Senior member

5. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Reviving a slightly old discussion, I know, but I'd like to add that in the past week I've provided extra (and non-standard) measurements upon request to 3 different potential buyers, with not even a thank you, let alone a sale. Two of those items were already packed and stored. Which brings the number of lifetime sales resulting from providing extra measurements to a grand total of ... zero.

Last edited: May 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM
  6. RFHansen

RFHansen Senior member

@ Reosymes: Good point. In my experience, the more additional measurements people ask for, the less likely they are to buy.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Precisely why I never pre-pack items prior to sale. I don't like doing things twice.

9. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

Always interesting how we have different formats according to our preferences and experience. I grudgingly re-open packages to take "extra" measurements, but unlike some of the prior posters, have found it has very often resulted in a sale. The most common request showing up recently has been for pant leg width at the cuff, so much so that I'm considering adding it to my standard measurements. I always let the prospective buyer know that I'm retrieving and unpacking the item, by way of attempting to invoke Cialdini's law of reciprocity.

I started pre-packing everything when I was traveling a lot on business, and her ladyship would have to retrieve items to ship. It was sometimes quite awkward to make sure she had the right item off the rack, so I just started boxing and numbering. So all the packages are numbered, stored in order, and identified with a huge red marker. They are all on steel racks, piled almost to the ceiling, and it's just as well, because it would be a shambles otherwise. Congrats to those who are able to keep unpacked inventory organized . . .

Additionally, I re-box occasional items where the shipping cost exceeds what I've charged the buyer, e.g. putting a sport coat into an FRB2 when it needs to go to cross-country, so I guess I'm not packing-averse. As always, YMMV, but dang, if I didn't pre-pack my stuff, it would be unmanageable chaos! Bad enough as it is . . .

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Man, I can't imagine the pain in my ass that pre boxing would create. I tag everything and hang/store stuff in order. I trained my wife fully on how to do the shipping, so no issues when she is helping.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Yeah, an ankle/hem measurement is always a good idea; nothing worse than getting an item that fits, but looks like it's from another era when you were expecting something slim. Not that I sell a lot, but I always feel better providing one.

12. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

The difference may be simply that you're a lot better at this than I am!! I think a lot of full-timers move their stuff out super-fast, where, for a part-timer like me, it just accumulates (I LOVE the hunt, semi-enjoy/tolerate the photography, and loathe the listing part), so there is always a massive backlog, and if I didn't put it all in packages, I have no idea where it would all go. It gathers first on the incoming rack, sometimes two, and the only way for me to clear space for more is to finally photograph, measure, pack and get it out of the way, leaving the rack open for more incoming. I get real stuck on the boredom of listing, and have been trying to figure out ways to speed up that process. Most recently, I just FTP'd 3900 images to Google Drive to see if that will speed the upload to eBay, as that appears to be a massive rate-limiting step on listing speed. Just about to try my first few listings using that upload method, so we'll see how that works.

I think if I was pushing the stuff out every week, it wouldn't matter whether or not it was packed. But if all my backlog was on racks, it would get completely out of control . . .