Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. illupo

illupo Member

I understand like I said.
    Im just giving feedack to keep in mind.

2. double00

double00 Senior member

eBay isn't really prescriptive, it's a platform that supports lots and lots of different buying and selling 'styles'.

for instance, one of the reasons i like OBO so much is that it allows me to more or less choose my customers while they set their terms out. that works well for me, other people may not look at it that way and that's perfectly legitimate too.

so if a seller doesn't give measurements or is slow to respond then that's a pretty good opportunity for a buyer to find another seller who is a better match without having to risk on an actual transaction. gotta read the room - not every deal has to work out just like you don't have to marry every girl (or guy) you date.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

In general, it's good advice, but if you've read this thread, it just seems like you're preaching to the choir.

4. illupo

illupo Member

Ebay is platform for buyers and sellers we both agree. If you dont want to provide customer service and you have your clientele im fine with you may as well do business only with them privately as in private sales, but than you have seller here bashing new buyers when themself are failing at providing this part of customer service than shifting blame on the buyers for returning merchandise that did not fit, when they cutting corners and providing mediocre service.

So thats that
    I agree with you within the other points. My point though was simple feedback.

Last edited: May 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM
  5. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

True, and I give measurements on typically tailored items or anything that appears altered. The problem is the people who come to eBay for dirt cheap prices and then expect Barney's level service. Find me a platform where the buyers all pay top dollar for used merchandise and I'll happily sell there and provide the highest level of customer service possible. It boils down to you get what you pay for.

6. illupo

illupo Member

Hows 200, 300 dirt cheap for pair of pants?
    300 you close to bespoke.
    A shirt for 300 is cheap?
    Yeah buddy all you doing is buying the clothes at half price from discounted service and selling it in ebay. You dont rent a store in manhattan, pay taxes in same way they pay ect, and cartering to that clientele. Yet you want to set the price close to them? In net there is a lot of places to buy and lot of services, so all or set you apart from rest is price and service.

Last edited: May 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM
  7. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

A. Not your buddy. B. You don't know shit about what I'm doing. I wouldn't do it for those margins. My blocked list is a lonely place, but welcome.

8. illupo

illupo Member

Kool story.
    Bye.

9. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I'm going to take a guess that you are actually one of the new buyers that someone bashed in this thread and you somehow found this place. Is there a specific seller here who bashed a new buyer and then failed at providing customer service?

10. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

One nice feature of the new forum format is that you don't see any post of someone on your blocked list. You see in your notifications that they made a post, but it doesn't show up in the thread, nor do any of their posts that have been quoted.

11. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Jayzus.
    Glad you stuck to your guns and got your refund.

12. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I beg to differ on most of your points. All we are doing is wasting lots of time digging thru usually filthy stores looking for crap to hustle and make some money on, then we clean it up, make it look nice, take pictures, provide basic measurements, describe anything wrong with it, list it, store it, answer 100 ?'s, sell it, ship it, take it up the ass on a frivolous return, relist, answer 100 ?'s again, sell it again, probably in there somewhere deal with some douchebag on Ebay, in the end we make a few dollars, and then probably pay more taxes(%) wise than Nordstrom, Barney's or any other clothing store.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

F--k, I wish I could suits, let alone shirts for $200-300... if I had to stuff at a 50% markup, I wouldn't last long.

And yes, I pay much higher tax than those big stores. The only thing I pay less of is local sales tax since 99% of my items go out of state. But then, those charges are paid by the buyer, same as at the brick & mortars...