Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Distinguished Member

Fall and winter items are a tough sell right now even at minimum bids. I would definitely advise to store until at least Labor Day. A Harris tweed right now might bring $20 or even get no bids. In the fall it will get $80 average easily.

Of course there is the other side of that coin. It's a great time to snag the good fall/winter stuff on eBay from sellers who don't know to hold off.

Last edited: May 13, 2013

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1 Ive got like 70 tweeds, cashmere sweaters, cords and outerwear stashed. Wait on them.

3. VLSI

VLSI Distinguished Member

4. suited

suited Distinguished Member

I listed an item and someone buys it a few hours later, 50 feedback, 100% positive. They don't pay and I open a case after a week. They respond by saying "U accepted best offer to quick did not want." My pessimism toward the average person is growing by the day.

Last edited: May 14, 2013

5. SeaJen

SeaJen Distinguished Member

That's a new one!

6. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

So I ordered a pair of band of outsiders pants that had slightly weird measurements. Got the pants today and although it has a century 21 tag and a band of outsiders tag the pants definitely are not band of outsiders. Do I just return and suck it up? Or do I ask seller to pay shipping. Not sure how easy it would be to prove its not band of outsiders

7. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Brings up a good point, I bought a Faconnable shirt (thrift so $1 no biggie) but it looked so different than any other I have ever bought, tag didn't say "designed in France" the embroidered bird looked different. Has anyone tried to create a really good "spot the fakes" thread here? I'm no expert. Besides the hilarious fakes thread, is there one for spotting better fakes, maybe brand specific ones?

8. capnwes

Back about 6 years ago, I received my first negative feedback in similar fashion. I accepted the guys offer, he did't pay. I even was giving like 2 or 3 weeks to pay back then. The case went through, and I never heard a peep from him the entire time. Back then you could still leave neg feedback for buyers, so I did. Something like "Never paid, no communication" or something close to that. Within 5 minutes, I received a neg from him "I got one for a gift so I don't need it anymore." eBay ended up removing it.

9. gambit50

gambit50 Senior Member

Sold a small value item. Buyer didn't pay and gave me the following, paraphrased:

'Problem with Bank of America account, get disability check on 22nd hope you will let me pay then.Will do so immediately.'

Guy has positive fb as a buyer, many. I actually have received the same bs tha BAC account was suspended from an SF member who is just a troll and wasted my time. Difference being the SF bloke just never got back to me which I knew after I went over so much info back and forth with him for days.I never reported this to SF community nor dinged him in trader feedback. Should I? He still posts sometimes.

What should I do with this deadbeat on ebay? And from what I just read above, he can leave negative fb for me if I ding him for not paying? How is that possible? If you don't pay you have option to leave feedback for a seller?

Item was sold on the 12th. Is the 22nd some magic day that excludes me from opening a non payment case?
    None of it is a huge deal but it is just completely obnoxious and I do not understand why people waste so much time. It is not a lot of money in case he was someone just looking to keep me from actually selling and he has the paypal info on me already if that is what he is after so why even contact me?

Anyway, looking for a push in some direction besides telling him that I know he won't pay on the 22nd and he is a lying scumbag.
    I never did that for this SF deadbeat but I should post his username and now I might.

Thanks

10. capnwes

That's a thing if the past. A buyer can't ding you anymore if the get an unpaid case closed against them.

11. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

That's freakin' hilarious. Sounds like this dude's on something...

12. DanM

DanM Distinguished Member

I dunno, I've had similar experiences with buyers on ebay and even though it took longer than I wanted, they paid in full and left positive feedback. Sold a pair of incotex trousers to a guy in Australia, ended up having to wait two weeks for a disability check to come in, and the delayed transaction went through without a hitch. Since its a low dollar item, its only a ten day wait, and you aren't waiving a right to file a non-payment claim, I'd wait it out.

13. gambit50

gambit50 Senior Member

I was just going to wait and see if he paid but then figured I would ask the experienced ones in the ways of the ebay before I got caught up in some nonsense
    that I would not care to deal with.
    Thanks to CapnWes and DanM. Will hope the payment comes and item goes.

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

2 questions today:
    1: How do I reply to negative feedback? I've seen other sellers do it, but I can't seem to find the button/link.
    2. Did anyone determine whether it's possible to do the first class delivery confirmation to canada outside of Ebay?

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Distinguished Member

Don't know if anyone else has used the global shipping program, but I just had my first completed transaction through the program which went swimmingly. The guy ended up paying over $40 to ship a sweater to Australia which I'm sure I could have done for half that but he seemed happy so...

Anyone else have any experiences with it?