Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

I am in a weird situation. Customer bid on an item and didn't pay for couple of weeks. I had opened an unpaid item case and the case was closed by eBay and eBay returned the FVF. I had blocked the bidder from bidding on my auctions. Ideally, it should have ended here.

Now, the customer sends me an email using his friend's eBay id stating that since the time he had bid on the auction, he had an accident and been in the hospital without internet access for couple of weeks and since he couldn't reach me he's using his friends eBay id to reach me. He's willing to pay and asking me to remove the non-payer strike by eBay. I don't know whether there's a way to do this or not. I can obviously relist the item and have him buy it but is there anyway to remove the non-payer strike?

As always, any help is appreciated.

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

Yes, you can remove non-payer strikes. Kinda up to you whether you want to deal with this guy. Personally, I would probably just pretend I never got the message.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Best one yet...

I had a coat listed with a BINOBO price of $74.99.

Received an offer of $50. Countered with $64.99.

Buyer countered with $70.

Sure, I'll take that...

4. sagitar

Not sure I understand. If the buyer wants to pay and let's for a a second assume its a genuine reason, then why not? Just asking.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

+1, I'd pass on this buyer. He might be telling the truth, but might still also be a scammer.

6. sagitar

Checked the buyer profile. He's based in Germany and has a feedback of over 3800. Doesn't look like a scammer.

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Wow thats a weird situation to be in. I am so quick to give the benefit of the doubt to buyers because Im so patient with things and I understand things come up. I to have been in a few situations that has caused me to delay payment on an item, and sellers have granted me the benefit of the doubt because I expressed being a stand up guy with good intentions. Though, I have not delayed a payment to the extent of which you are describing...Its really a personal judgement, you know him better than any of us can determine. But I would not be surprised or pass judgement on anyone here who says to forget about it and move on. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.

I recently had a situation with a buyer who first payed by echeck via paypal and I waited 4 days for cleared payment. Well it never cleared, and the guy had been messaging me the entire time informing me of whats going on, and not really knowing why the payment was processed like that. He had 100% Feedback all as a Buyer, and had about an 80 rating. So he casually buys here and there. I was not worried about any type of scamming or manipulative actions on his end. Well, Its been over a week, and come to find out, the cards he had on file had expired since his last use, and he had to update the info on paypals end and go through a few hoops to get it straightened out. But at the end of it all, it worked out perfectly fine just as it would have if he had not ran into expired credit card dates. I could have easily opened a case, or cancelled transaction with him, but because of his great communication with this issue, and being a stand up guy, as well as the history on eBay, I took his word for it. All is good...most times

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I'd go $85 and see what happens. Lol

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Short rant:

I am sick of getting listings ended for browser manipulation just because eBay doesn't know shit about clothes. If I want to sell a Burberry suit that was made by Hickey Freeman I should be able to say it. And try telling the service rep that the Gucci sport coat was really made by Zegna. They don't even know what either if them are. Wont refund my listing fees either. Ugghhhhrrtgghhugggh

End rant.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Might be okay then.

I'm not a fan of international shipping, but if you're up for it, this one might be okay.

11. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Follow up to this...

Received my first negative feedback. Will eBay remove negative feedback for a buyer who tried to abuse the protection program, and then lost?

The feeback he left was:
    "Bad transaction, bad experience, advise not to buy from this seller."

I used the follow-up feature to mention that eBay sided with me, but he technically manually closed the case before he officially lost. What gives?

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

13. sagitar

Decided to give the benefit of doubt to the buyer. How do I remove the non-payer strike?

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Pretty sure you have to call eBay on their behalf. That's the only way I have found....I may be wrong.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This happened to me once with a pair of Lobb / Hermes shoes. I sent her a wikipedia link to her direct email while we were on the phone and they reversed it. Can you find that they make them for Burbs on a recognized site?