1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

This is actually smart, I have bought several bundles of stuff off of eBay. I bought a bundle of 8 BB dress shirts a long time ago, and still wear them (although I am trying to upgrade to nicer slim fitting models as I can). I also bought a bundle of linen shirts in my size and think I have worn them every day this summer. Ties sounds like a good idea, but the percentage of people who need ties vs need shirts is much higher so I imagine it probably takes longer to sell those. But again, I have bought a bundle of 4 ties just to get 1 that I liked and figured I could turn the other three around someday...

I actually had a question for you I may have asked earlier and if I did I apologize. I saw your new Dress Form and am wondering if you got a 38" or 40" model?

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I am slowly upgrading my wardrobe, I am in the market for some nice summer pants. I found these on eBay and am curious if this is true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWOT-Ermene...855762?pt=US_CSA_MC_Pants&hash=item3a833c1412

So EZ branded and made by Incotex.

EZ required the tag to be removed to prevent retail returns? I have never heard of this, I have seen them put large permanent marker Xs but not remove the tag altogether. Is this something typical with high end brands?

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Howdy,

The male dress form I bought was advertised as being a 38, but when I put a 42R SC on it (with a shirt) it fits quite well so I believe it's closer to a 40...but was advertised as a 38. I got it from Stamps Store Fixtures. I am not 100% satisfied with their service, yet...the female dress form I received was perfect since all the parts were packed/wrapped in plastic, but the male dress form was in the box loose - none of the parts were wrapped in plastic and as a result they all banged around inside the box and the wood parts got chipped up during shipping. I called them, they said they would call me right back with a resolution / perhaps a partial credit, but I never heard back. In the meantime, I already had a pack of wood touch-up pens (like Magic Markers) from Home Depot that I was able to use to touch up the 2 dozen or so chips. So it's working out OK for me now, and they may eventually call me back or send me some sort of credit, which would be the right thing to do, but if not it's pretty much par for the course these days in terms of customer service after the sale, or lack thereof.
    Anyway, re: the dress form, once you start putting larger size SC's on it - say - 46 and bigger - they start to look a bit off even if you pin them up, because the shoulders start getting too wide vs. the body of the form. They don't make them any bigger from what I have seen, so, will make do.

4. TheNeedMachine

The only time I know of manufacturers / stores removing tags is when they donate something or otherwise dump it at no sale. Otherwise, if bought in a standard retail store, even if on super-clearance pennies on the dollar, they leave the tags on...I've shopped the Zegna store in Orlando, and bought Zegna clearance from Barneys etc, and they leave the tags intact and unmolested.
    I think this seller is BS'ing.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

If they're for yourself, no worries. They're almost certainly Incotex for Zegna and they're cool pants. I'd say forget it unless you're trying to flip...I which case I'd say you should have read the description/buyer's problem :satisfied:

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The EZ incotex trousers are great. Good buy.

9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

No, I wound up mowing and weed wacking for the last few hours so it wasn't me. I did like them, I'm in no rush right now but seem to have a hard to fit size, 36x34 are not to easy to find. So the un-hemmed would have worked well.

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Quoting myself like Brian [​IMG]

I probably drew attention to them from a SF guy...

11. TheNeedMachine

BUMP - any ID on this pattern (for real)? Listing going live in 45 mins and right now I'm calling it a "box check" which cannot be accurate... Thank you.

12. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Check Plaid Windowpane...get all the keywords in there.

1 person likes this.
  13. TheNeedMachine

Thank you! I knew it was some oddball combination - totally escaped me.

14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Check Plaid Windowpane...get all the keywords in there.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

16. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Exactly, I'm not sure what the correct term is but it's probably something obscure that most people aren't going to search.

17. TheNeedMachine

Understood - and while it is all of those things, I know there has to be a recognized / "official" name for that pattern...like me saying my ex-girlfriend was a cheating money-grabbing liar, and people would say "oh, the term you're looking for is 'slut'". [which she was not - as far as I know she never lied to me [​IMG] ]. Heh.

1 person likes this.
  18. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

I purchased this suit back in early June: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-FLAWLE...O4hIkh8DNabIDqfT14T8U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

In the description, it states the sleeves are 25" and can be let out approximately 2". I just got to measuring the sleeves and they are a baffling 23.5" and 24" respectively, with a max of 1" under hem. Do I have a legitimate case against the seller? Or have I waited too long to inspect the garment?

Does it add complications that I already let out the pants hem? I'd be willing to have a tailor hem them back to exact same inseam and cuff size.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. TheNeedMachine

From HK, I would wait, if the seller has a good track record and not assume you've been had. 6-8 weeks is not uncommon for SAL / standard international 1st class. However, if the seller has a bunch of negatives I'd let the resolution case take it's course, but it's not like you have any alternative in the meantime since your case won't resolve until 8/20 anyway [meaning, you can ask the seller for a full refund all you want, but with an open case that won't close until 8/20, you now have to wait until then to get any sort of eBay / PayPal involvement in the event the seller won't issue a refund earlier]. I've bought stuff from HK, from reputable sellers, and it took so long that when it finally arrived I forgot I bought the thing.

PayPal max is 60 days.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. TheNeedMachine

Bought in early June - and we're in late July before you took some measurements - if I were the seller I'd have a real hard time reconciling why you waited this long and would assume you're trying to return for some other reason...especially being willing to re-alter the pants at your cost back to original measurements. That's just weird.
    You might push a case thru eBay / PayPal; doesn't seem like much of a SNAD case to me, and waiting 6 weeks to try on the coat - again - my Spidey Sense tingles on that one.
    As a seller, I'd hope someone doesn't surprise me 6 weeks later with a return attempt when I have a liberal 14-day return policy (many folks have a no return policy).
    As a buyer, I would have tried the thing on a day or 2 after I received it.
    I think in good conscience, you do not have a case, though in theory you might.