Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

+1 for Sell Similar. If I have a number of shirts to list then I:
    1. Do only shirts. Don't jump back and forth between different categories of items.
    2. Organize them into similar groups. All Made in USA together. All Made in Malaysia together.
    3. Organize further. All USA Golden Fleece together. All USA OCBD's together. All USA Luxury Line together, etc.
    4. Sell Similar is a huge time saver this way.

2. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

For what it's worth, I agree with everyone else on your issue. If I bought a jacket because I suspected it was a 3/2 roll, but the seller made no indication to that fact, and it arrived as a hard 3 I would accept that my assumptions were wrong and move on.
    However, I find it very disturbing that after providing you a full refund, you still reported him just because of his geographic location. Had any of the sellers on this thread, you included, explained a situation where, because eBay sides with buyers most of the time, he had awarded a full refund AGAINST his stated policy for something he hadn't really done, and then the buyer STILL reported him or slammed him on feedback everyone would be blacklisting that buyer.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have a similar instance, but not really the same.

Bought these....for a flip of course.
    ALDEN CORDOVAN TASSEL DRESS LOAFERS 10.5B/D
    A bit bummed that the seller didn't state that the soles are so thin they are unwearable without having repairs done.

I contacted him, politely explaining my unexpected disappointment. He said he was sorry I was not happy. He said I could return them, despite not having a return policy. I don't want to return them since the uppers are still in great shape. I really just want him to take responsibility for the information he left out, whether intentionally or not. Not even really pressing for a partial refund since they are not for me (although I think one would be in order), just a proper acceptance of fault. The condition will surely affect my bottom line, since I have the condition listed accurately. Maybe I should have asked if the soles were thin enough to push my fingers through....but I didn't. Seller has higher feedback than I do, I figured he would have mentioned that....my bad on that one.

What would the group do?

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Good, block me and I'll block you on Ebay.

You people are a bunch of hypocrites. Misrepresenting an item is just as bad a lying about what it is. Violating TOS is violating TOS.

I will never do business with anyone on this forum again. I will only deal locally or on Ebay. Feel free to block me, ban me, I personally don't give a flying fudge.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If they're consistant, they will say it's your fault and to move on.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Definitely push for partial refund Wes, that's some bullshit.

for future readers, this was not serious

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That's kinda over the top really. A couple people disagree with you and you refuse to do business with them? All they did was give you an honest opinion.

On the matter you posted, I'd have to say, I kinda disagree with the group, and am glad you are getting a refund. Not to sure about the incorrect ship from location deal since I've never run across that one, but a seller definitely should know what they are selling, or understand that by taking the chance of selling items they are not familiar with, comes the risk of having a few returns. A little research on his end before listing would have probably helped him avoid the whole thing. The only tip I really have for your end, is that you seemed a little harsh in your communication....but that's just me.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Perhaps... Can I blame the Irish heritage?

I'm happy the seller offered and granted a refund. I would do the same in the case if I were on the other side, and I have been.

I sold a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes a few months ago that I thought were brown. Buyer opened a case because they were burgundy. I granted refund, and resold them after I got them back. My normal policy is no refunds, but there are cases where they are justified and freely given.

Maybe I'm harsh in communication online. But I had a very strong sense that I was being played by the seller. I've seen three different names for their business, along with three different locations. They claimed no knowledge, but then stated they had talked to someone with knowledge. They went from no refunds to offering a full refund within the span of 30 minutes. This whole thing reeks of two-week old rotting mackerel.

That being said, I still reported them for violating TOS for item location misrepresentation. There was no communication beforehand that the item was coming from Poland rather than England. If I had seen that, I would have cancelled the transaction.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes this is a valid argument. Being from Irish descent, I too have to pull in the reigns sometimes before I send an email. If I don't, I can inadvertently cut pretty deeply with my sharp keyboard sword.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

If you're serious, just let me know your ebay name and I'll add you to the black list...[​IMG]

The seller one adknowledges hes at fault because ebay made him and gave you a refund because ebay makes him. Real world = you get no refund because you messed up here buddy. As you said, he shipped from a different location...which was the only way you can win, which IMO is BS.

+1

No downside to ask for a partial refund because you need to get them resoled (I ask for discounts all the time in all stores), but if he says no thanks, or only gives the option for a full refund to return them, then up to you if you want to keep them or not. Taking a 2nd look at the pictures they do appear to be very thin and worn out.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hmm, I guess that pair of 28x28 NWT 1944 LVC Denim is going somewhere else...

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Don't give me that "real world versus online world" stuff, without Ebay, this sort of crap never happens... Professional sellers accurately describe their products, and they stand by the descriptions. If I saw these shorts at a swap meet, I wouldn't look twice or consider buying them. I went to a swap meet yesterday, and bought three pairs of shorts that were of far superior quality for a fraction of the auction price. This guy can still offer to send them to the #2 bidder, who bid $1 less than me. And you know what? The same thing's going to happen when that buyer gets the item.

If you burn me, I will fight back.

13. tben

tben Senior member

Wow, you are bitter.

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Give me your ebay name so I can block you.

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

But you're getting your money back. I can understand the frustration of getting an item that doesn't meet your needs, but unless the seller specifically claimed they were new bike shorts and/or exclusively sells them and would have the specific knowledge to identify different linings, I think they took appropriate action.

And in regards to that location thing, I always thought that was built in to stop sellers from jacking up prices for calculated shipping. If it was a flat rate, or the seller didnt charge more to ship from Poland vs England, I don't see the point in getting bent out of shape about origin points.