Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Quick question for an ebay listing to size...

shoulders 22"
    pit to pit 23"

What size should this be listed at?

48?

It's a smoking jacket sized XXL

[​IMG]

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I use the long skinny one. Side loader I guess. I've only had an issue once on really long shoes. And I'm pretty sure I'm shipping the same stuff as you. I wrap in a tyvek or plastic bag or two, which protwcts them and doubles as cushioning/fill. Sometimes the box distorts or has a hard time closing. But I've usually managed it.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

5. Brianpore

I am bias, but shoes IMO are extremely tricky to sell. Unless you have something like Shell Alden's or something where you know people are going to want them, its really a crap shoot how much you get, hence BIN OBO and wait for a fair offer.

It looks like you had a good mix of bidders so that is what the market said they were worth right now... would better pictures have helped.... maybe not 2x the price if that's what you were thinking.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

6. nohio

nohio Senior member

I don't know if affected the final price, but the listing looks bad. Comic sans (mixed with at least 3 different fonts)? Also, the formatting is very wide so that I can't fit the entire page on my screen. I would suggest just making it more simple or doing a major upgrade to a professional looking format.

7. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Probably a good idea, the BIN...especially with new shoes. So do you start higher than you normally would and hope for a good sale with the OBO getting you the price you really wanted? Similar comps on these boots went for 2.5 times that amount so feel like I missed a good price on these.

8. Brianpore

9. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Hmmm...I'm using a widescreen monitor and formats nicely. Maybe that's part of it as well. Never thought of that.

So..would I have to change my monitor setting or could this be a Firefox setting?

Looks like this on my monitor:

[​IMG]

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Here's a cool saga for you fine gentleman this evening...

I bought a pair of cycling shorts from an international seller that was advertised as in London, England.

The body of the listing contains this location:

Bernardettelaan 25
    2806JL Gouda
    Netherlands

The package arrived on Friday with a return address from Przemysl, Poland.

The item was misrepresented at best... I opened a case. Seller wants to settle instantly (duh!). What are the odds that I don't get my money back if I escalate and this idiot doesn't get banned from Ebay?

I really need to read listings more thoroughly when I buy...

Oh, and add strangehighways to your lists...

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

So, here's the email thread from between 2243 and 2315 this evening (except the first... I opened the case around 1700 today).

Quote (Me):

Quote (Douche):

Quote (Me):
    Quote (Douche):

Quote (Me): Quote (Douche):

Quote (Douche):

Quote (Me):

12. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Seems like he is being reasonable...remember you are dealing with an international customer with what looks like some language understanding differences as well...he is offering to refund full price...looks like he just needs for someone else to pay for an auction for him to pay you back.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hans, 80 new listings in a week is nothing to be ashamed of, that's a lot.

Similar story to Spoo.

Sunday:
    Sleep in a bit 8 or so. Shit ton of photos and measurements. I have recruited my wife occasionally to write down measurements. Pull items that will sell that night for shipping.

Monday:
    Leave for work by 6 (hour drive). Thrift for lunch. Any down time is spent making listings of the stuff measured Sunday. Hit a thrift on the way home. Process orders for 24 hour shipping. If there is any time left, which there seldom is, more photos and measurements. In bed by 1 AM if I'm lucky.

Tuesday:
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Finish up orders for 24 hour shipping. More pics and measures. In bed by Midnight.

Wednesday:
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""". Hit my Wednesday night thrift loop. Any straggler shipping orders. More pics and measures. In bed by Midnight.

Thursday:
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""". Hit a thrift on the way home. Finish up 10 day listings for the week, all scheduled to start between 11-11:30 PM EST. In bed by midnight

Friday:...my favorite day!
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""". Work half day. Go on a big ass crazy 8 hour thrift adventure. One or two of 4 different routes. Go out for dinner or something nice with the wifey, after I bore her to death showing her all my finds.

Saturday:
    Sleep in a bit....maybe 8 or so. House/Yard work...if we are not travelling. Maybe a thrift or two with the wifey. Afternoon cool down with tons of pics and measurements.

Repeat!

Still have a pretty good social life on the weekends believe it or not.

14. tben

tben Senior member

I can't say that I am on your side with this one.

15. suited

suited Senior member

Yeah, and I think in 90% of cases it's just easier to do what the buyer wants. As soon as a buyer messages me about a return I just tell them to send it back and I'll refund them. I learned that it's not worth the hassle to try and fight them, at least not on everyday, run of the mill items. If you sell them a $500 pair of NIB shoes and they want a return 3 weeks later, that's different. I kept my policy to no returns just to ward off people who might otherwise abuse the policy.