1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I tried it out a few months ago. Didn't really see the benefit over a standard ebay store. Chose to upgrade to a Premium Store instead.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I've sold a couple over the years and cross-listed them in two categories: Vintage (under clothing, shoes and accessories), as well as Music Memorabilia (under entertainment memorabilia). It costs an extra something (can't remember exactly how much) to list in a 2nd category, and may or may not increase exposure or bids, so I suppose it depends on how much you think you can get for them.

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Observation about Vestimenta. It looks like they went out of business a few years ago, but were picked up by Tombolini. If you go to C21, the Vestimenta suits have Tombolini tags, not the older, large sized Vestimenta tags.

So the CK suit you picked up must be more than a few years old. Can anybody else confirm this?

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I sold a few, but it's been a couple years. The cats have changed since then, but I think Entertainment Memorabilia should be your primary category for sure. I think Spoo, was doing some recently. At least I remember him looking for some anyway.

Disclaimer...The way my mind works, recently means like a year ago. I am cursed with remembering everything.

6. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Awesome, thanks! Will try it out and post the results.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

$300 worth of lights [​IMG] but I can finally shoot pictures in a pitch black room at night. All I need now is a new stand for my mannequin.....on second thought, I have an extra light stand!!! hmmmm

1) Lowel Rifa 55 Light (from the left side)
    1) Lowel Tota Light (from the right side)

Debating actually selling the tota and the omni light that came with this and just getting another Rifa light. They are SOOO nice. Open to suggestions.

[​IMG]

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Speaking another language to me Brian, but I do like the turnout of them.
    How hot do those lights get, bearable?

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Id do clothing shoes and accessories, not memorabilia.

What shirts you got?

10. TheNeedMachine

Very nice results & upgrade! I do like the lack of "neck stump" in your pics - interesting variation.

I bit the bullet and dropped a couple hundos on lights and a frame for my muslin fabric backdrop yesterday...yet to be shipped. I also decided to be incredibly lazy and bought a pre-tied bow tie and zip necktie so I can photo/display things a bit better (again, inspired by Wes). Need a nice white shirt to use just for eBay pics and I think I'll be set. Got my jersey form mannequins delivered from Stamps Store Supplies in ATL - coming together. Really need to step up my photos - realized I'll never have the items that Spoo offers but Mister Wes consistently gets top dollar for some of the same stuff I have gotten peanuts for, and it's gotta be all in the presentation. Spend the $, spend the time, and be patient.

As far as suggestions as to trade / sell / upgrade lights, sorry - no idea - other than definitely upgrade that cardboard thing you're using as a stand! [​IMG]

11. TheNeedMachine

Was a bummer when eBay stopped showing the actual OBO price that was accepted on a BIN/OBO item and you had to sort of guess based on the items above & below it...but discovered today that the mobile app still shows the actual sold for / accepted price when sold OBO. When you click thru to see the original listing, it'll show the original desired BIN price. Good info to know if you're figuring out how much to list something for; probably be done away with eventually tho.

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

There's a shadow on your left (right in the picture) lapel, are you only lighting from one side?<- sorry reread your post, you are lighting from both sides, but that shadow seems avoidable? Maybe much more light from the left? I'm sure this doesn't have the post processing that your bay pics have, but you've added a lot of light and flattened out the tone of your pictures. I did the same thing when I first played with my new lights, working on now bringing back in some of the depth of color my old (lack) of lighting brought to the table. I'd add back in an overhead light, or at least a reflector, could be my laptop, but the shoulders look dark. I want to add an overhead light to my setup.
    BTW, I may be stating something everyone else knows here, but I've eliminated one variable bringing me closer to no post processing, my camera has an auto color correction feature in the white balance, and it's amazing how accurate my color is now. It has you take a picture of your white background, and that's it. It automatically adjusts whatever inside the camera and I take a shot, look at the viewfinder and voila it's the exact color. Finally figured it out after a brown jacket I was photographing kept coming out green.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I think you also picked the wrong time of year to auction. Traffic on mine has been super slow and many have ended disappointingly low. So I feel your frustration, but it's not always like this.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

15. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Figures that on one of my better sales I'd have my first return. Buyer just messaged me saying he bought it for his dad and it won't fit. I do have returns enabled but stated just for mistakes in the listing. I've recently added language to the body of my listings making it even clearer, "NO returns for fit issues", as I wanted to vigilantly ward off this kind of stuff as best I can, but this one was just with the older wording in the return info section. Someone bid a buck below him, so second chance offer could work, but THAT guy is in UK, and would be my first foray into international shipping. [​IMG] Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Ralph-...s-s-s-Hawaiian-Shirt-Size-Small-/221248805124

Language in the return section was:

Returns accepted if I've made a serious mistake in the item description. Please know your measurements before bidding. Returns must be made within 14 days,
    shipping paid by the buyer with a tracking number provided.

So, should I take the return in this case or fight it?

16. othertravel

Need advice guys.

Did my first sale on ebay last week but have been a long-time buyer. Because it's my first sale, ebay is putting a hold on the payment until the 2nd week of August. Would ebay be amendable to lifting the hold if I call them?

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

You are obligated to accept the return if you have those settings turned on. And from my understanding, if you have return settings on, you have to accept returns for all matters.
    If you dont have return settings on, you can then justify returns for an error on your end.

If I recall correctly, if you do not advertise returns, and someone wants to return something based on fit issues not for the original buyer(his father), that is against policy. But again, I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  18. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

No i dont think so - you need to sell 25 things I think to get this restriction.

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The funds will be released once the buyer leaves positive feedback. That's the only way to speed the process.

20. othertravel