1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. aglose

aglose Senior member

It's getting up there for shell. I wish I could find some good shell boots for not an arm and a leg. I'd be Ok with just an arm and some toes or something.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

They have a lot of feedback, but "only" 98.9% positive for that many sales / feedbacks tells me they're slinging what they can and probably will never responding to any inquiries. 16 negatives in the last 6 months, and 34 negatives + 24 neutrals in the last year. That's sort of a lot, even if they are a high-volume seller. Two of the negatives are re: Wolverine boots... I say, if you bid, you're taking a bit of a gamble with this seller. Not a huge gamble, but more than usual.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. aglose

aglose Senior member

Good point, I will inquire as to the mismatch.

5. TheNeedMachine

When did eBay start displaying the # of watchers on other people's listings? In the past I could only see the # of watchers on my own listings, not someone else's...not sure if I like that change...

[​IMG]

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

They started this with the last BIG refresh of the site about 6??? months ago. It has come and gone. If you are a big seller with popular items I think it is good to make people have a desire to bid and or make an offer.....not that I'm saying I like it, but I see why they added it.

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

It's bad for items that have few watchers, might make people more likely to lowball, etc.

8. TheNeedMachine

Huh - first time I've ever seen it, and I have bid/bought recently. I have seen the little pop-up window that tells how many views/watchers in the past 24 hours or whatnot.
    If I was watching an auction item and it had a bunch of other watchers, I'd be less inclined to bid and get into a war later...but for buy-it-now, agreed - might make me want to jump on an item before anyone else.

Agree on that as well.

9. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

if you look at the sole it seems barely worn.
    its probably a pair of factory seconds, so slight imperfections would be normal.
    you are buying used.
    but given the state of the sole I dont think its seen much use
    worth the savings over the 700? 800? retail on new

1 person likes this.
  10. TheNeedMachine

Not sure if I should leave negative / neutral feedback or not... I bought a vintage stereo accessory item on eBay. Was delivered, slowly. Only halfway worked - it has two modes - one "ideal" and the other considered a "get-around" if you can't use it in the more ideal mode based on your receiver...the "ideal" mode didn't work, but the "get-around" does. The item was described as used but in fully working order (which it was not). I messaged the seller saying I'd like to return it either for a refund or repair. No reply after a few days, so I initiate a return. Get a notification that an e-check refund is in process. Few days later, get another message that the e-check refund did not clear the seller's bank account = no refund. In the interim, I decided to keep the thing and just sell it along with the speakers that it goes with, so I canceled the refund case. I opted not to use eBay buyer protection to get my refund after the e-check failed, and keep it instead, knowing it can be fixed.

The seller has a bunch of older and one current negative feedbacks (which I did not see until after I'd already bid and won), and when I Google him, he appears to be a total nut-job - made his own Wikipedia page.

His website is equally odd, with the manifesto "The Ultimate in on-line rare purchasing and selling. There is nothing worse in life then shopping next to cheap idiots lacking taste, experience, and hygiene -- while checking out at the counter of some bitter-condescending-asexual-erudite giving you the once over. At Literaturopolis you are treated on a first come first serve basis. There is no line, no rush, no time limit, and best of all... No herd of garage-sale-lemmings lending you their take on popular culture, live action role playing (LARP), and what it means to be the last bearded hipster in Echo Park without a tattoo, skinny jeans, and girlfriend named Bitchiffer with more metal in her face than the front row at OZ fest."

What a tool.

ANYWAY, do I leave a negative...neutral...or let it slide, seeing as how I am actually keeping the half-working gizmo...bearing in mind their refund check e-bounced and they sold me a malfunctioning item described as fully working? I have never left a negative in my life as things have always been worked out in the end.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  11. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I'd go negative...if you don't know what you are selling and can't test it, don't list it as in working order...and just the fact that he wouldn't respond to correct the situation would make me leave negative.

12. TheNeedMachine

I'm leaning that way as well - don't think the seller would really mind, seeing the negatives they already have with no follow-up. Matter of fact, gonna do it right now!

13. aglose

aglose Senior member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I will see how high they go once the end comes near...

14. chiron

chiron Senior member

How do you price your items?

( I tend to look at the top 25 sold and base it on the avg. )

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Ideally on binobo items, yes. But when short on time, and particularly on auctions, I simply start at my cost (purchase plus tax plus gas plus ship plus fees) plus some reasonable additional amount, which hopefully adds up to a reasonable starting price for an item like mine. Or if I'm considering keeping, I price at whatever price I simply couldn't refuse.

16. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Unless I'm selling something really unique, I'll start the opening bid at 2x my cost--which I figure is a standard retail mark-up. I don't charge for shipping, so I build in a reasonable amount for that. Unless you're doing this for a living there's no need to squeeze every penny out of a sale. Get the volume going, build up feedback, and then you'll have the visibility to try for higher prices.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

BIN OBO - Try to find the narrowest pool of data representing what I have and usually aim for the the top 10% of cost of items that have sold at realistic prices. I narrow it down when possible to size, style, color and length.

Side note, the Global Shipping Program guy paid...I'm surprised, shall see how well this works.

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Is anyone doing 10 day auctions with low starting prices now? I was doing this in the winter but when spring came around the ending prices got too low. I am still tempted to do a few if only to drive traffic to my BIN listings.

19. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I was stung by the GSP once before saying never again. I will not even look at ads with GSP charges, and I wonder if sellers realize how much buyers are being ripped off. The one time was a Truzzi shirt with a 16" neck--which never come up for sale anywhere. The GSP rate was $80 for a $140 shirt. For months a forum-member was selling a Borrelli suit that had $450 of GSP charges (to Canada) on a $700-ish suit. From New York state to Toronto!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Are u sure about those prices? 450$ for shipping? I don't beleive that statement, because it sounds so flawed.