Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I had an incident recently where tracking showed the item as delivered, but it hadn't actually been, but the item showed up on my doorstep day later. Didn't quite get what was going on, but it's possible your buyer had something similar happen. He saw the tracking show it as delivered, didn't find it, presumed that it was somehow your fault, and tried to take his money back from the evil, scheming, faceless seller, and then backs off when it actually shows up.

2. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

This happens often, actually. USPS posts DELIVERED at a time of day before the mail carrier is even at the address. So you know the time stamp is bogus. But you would think it is at the local office and thus would be delivered that day. No.
    Also, has been more than one extra day(insanity in logistics, laziness, incompetence,etc.) from the DELIVERED stamp to actual delivery. Annoying, nerve-wracking but that is USPS. Tracking, far too meaningless though it is a necessary uselessness, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I had my doubts selling to this guy after he bought the item, handn't paid yet and wrote me this. I said, dont worry pants are in good condition when I really should have said, they suck, don't pay. I debated with myself to not sell to him but knew the pants were in great condition.

Quote: They arrive and I dont get a note, but he just opens a case asap

Quote: OK, just send the damn pants back. I'll add you to my block bidder list and the styleforum black list to save all my fellow SF members the troubles. No f'ing way my inseam measurement is 1.25" off. [​IMG]

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

The joys of ebay. It really frosts my balls when a buyer lies to justify a return.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

In 7 years of selling I only had one case opened against me. In the last two weeks I had THREE! I finally figured out what was going on this week when I accidentally opened a case on another seller. You used to be able to ask a question under the "not as described" and that was it. Now if you aske under that option it automatically opens a preliminary case. So Brian, your buyer may not have intended to actually open the case in his return efforts.

Note...if you use the "returns" question, it won't open a case.

6. Brianpore

INTERESTING.... just another way to ebay to push sellers to take returns even when they dont have a return policy. Threaten them with a case and impacts the feedback rating

7. Steve Smith

If a buyer is willing to lie, then a return will be forced on you. 100% of the time. All a buyer has to say is that your measurements are inaccurate or that the color in the auction is not the same shade as the item. Whether those statements are true does not matter. So a policy of "no returns" only applies to honest people.

I have changed my policy to 14 days money back. 14 days.

8. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I acknowledged that as a possibility initially, but I don't think that was this case here. I let this issue simmer for a few days. He messaged me on a saturday and I couldn't get ahold of the Post Office. I also waited a couple of days for him to do the same. Only 3-4 days later did it escalate to his tone demanding a replacement.

Also:
    1. The buyer mentioned his discussion with the Post Office in very strange terms. At first he simply said the post office "didn't know" about the package. Then, as I firmed my stance, he mentioned that his postal carrier (the one who specifically delivers to his door, not the main center) remembered the package, including the contents of the package, which is weird in and of itself). I honestly think it was a kid (I say that because the eBayer recently purchased an AP history book) who thought they could beat the system or lean on the seller. I may be wrong, but why not pursue the case further?

2. If he received the item, why did he close the case but not say something like, "I received it... sorry for the mix-up." Instead, he closed the case saying, "I don't want to be bothered by this anymore." If I forked out $40 for something, I wouldn't close the case (when I already went through the "hassle" of opening it) just because it was an inconvenience.

Regardless, I was not going to budge from my stance because any reimbursement should come from eBay, not me when I followed the seller protection requirements. When I spoke to eBay, they told me I would win the claim for following all procedures properly. Of course, worried that the buyer may have no actually received the package and thus, shouldn't be stuck with the entire burden, I asked eBay what would happen. They said if he wanted, he could appeal, and if he won, eBay would pay out the refund.

I still have not received any positive or negative feedback from the buyer. So, I am not exactly sure where this is headed.

9. Steve Smith

Good afternoon - have you shipped this yet? If not, I would like to CANCEL. I sincerely apologize. I misread or glanced over the width. It is wider than I expected for a Thom Browne shirt. Unfortunately a 48" chest will be too large.

If you sent already, I understand. But just FYI I will most likely be sending it back. Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

And so it begins. Genius buys Black Fleece with description providing all measurements. Hours after buying, he reads the description. Already shipped it. :brick:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

10. Brianpore

Do you have a "restocking fee" for returns to cover initial cost of shipping?

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

this is what happened to me, as a buyer. when my shoes started to disintegrate on the first day, i just wanted to contact the seller to let him know. but every time I clicked on his name to ssend a message, it automatically opened a case against him.Even worse, we negotiated a return and he asked me to close the case, but when I went to do so, ebay told me that if i closed the case, I couldn't re-open it. since i hadn't received the refund (he was waiting to receive the return), i had to leave it open for several days. i'm sure he was frosted by it.

12. PattyC

PattyC Senior member

I have a seller who wants to return a shirt to me, essentially because he doesn't like it. Annoying, but no problem. However, he refuses to pay for return shipping. I've just been constantly going back and forth with him copying and the pasting eBay policy page where it states that buyers are required to pay for return shipping. Should he escalate it, is there a chance eBay will side with him and I'll lose my money and shirt (seeing as how he refuses to pay for it to be shipped back)?

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Impossible to tell if you will win before he opens the case. It really depends on what he claims is wrong with it. Not as expected/doesn't like it isn't covered, but you can't stop him from making up stories about the color or measurements. There's no chance ebay will make you pay for him to ship it back, but you will be out the original shipping cost if you lose. They will not refund him until he provides tracking showing the item was returned (although technically he could ship anything he wanted to anywhere in your zip code and get his money back). Keep in mind that you will likely receive negative feedback, though you may have already crossed that threshold so no reason to cave in now.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

That explains something on my end too. A relatively mellow guy who had good communication with me a few weeks ago about a different tie (that he ended up buying) opened a case on me. The case details stated: "I see tracking says this was delivered on April 19th, but I was out of town, and when I returned it wasn't here. Is there a way to get more information." I was baffled that he would open a case on this basis, but if Ebay is forcing cases for basically any post-purchase question, then that would explain it.

FWIW, I politely responded that the USPS tracking was the only info I had, and he should check with neighbors and his local. Now I will have to wait and see if Ebay sides with him even when he's admitted that I shipped properly and that tracking says it was delivered to him.

Edit: And not that I deserve sympathy, but I got this out, on time, even though I was having a pretty rough week personally (wife and kid in hospital).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

15. Steve Smith

I do now.