Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

According to Wikipedia the Marketplace Fairness Act will apply to those with annual gross receipts (of remote sales) over $1,000,000.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

2. suited

suited Senior member

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Some cameras, including the one in the iPhone, use the EXIF data - specifically the Orientation tag - to set how a photo is oriented. And to make things more complicated, some programs and browsers read that EXIF tag and use it for how to display the picture...and some don't. Ebay probably changed how they handle the EXIF data recently.

I found a program called EXIF Editor that helps, since I take all my photos with my iPhone. I upload them all to the computer, use EXIF Editor to set the Orientation tags to 0 (you can do it en masse), and then use an image editor to rotate them however I want them when I'm doing my other edits.

For WAYWRN pics and other shots that I want to post from my phone, I edit the pics in the PS Express app, and when it saves the files it saves them without any EXIF data. That's too clumsy to do for a lot of pictures at once, though.

Sounds like I just need to create an action in Photoshop to rotate the pics to vertical and batch process all of the vertical shots through Bridge. Hopefully that works, as that's the quickest way I know to do all of this. Unless I can set up a batch process to strip the EXIF data out of the files?

4. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Wow. It has been a strange week for me on eBay. I have two stories to tell, but only one for now.

I sold a new laptop case and shipped within an hour of payment. USPS showed it as delivered three days later. Everything was great right? Wrong. Buyer opens a case without messaging me, saying they never received it. Hmm, tracking sure seems clear. I give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and investigate it further. Post Office looks up tracking and tells me it's delivered. Buyer sends very strange responses almost dodging my questions with him.

I double check seller protection, thinking, who is dumb enough to try to file this claim when it was delivered. Guy has good feedback so I am thinking maybe he didn't get it.

Seller protection is clear. If you ship with tracking and it shows as delivered, you are covered. I called eBay anyway and they confirmed that I would win the case he opened, and if he appealed, eBay would refund him if he won, but they would not take any money from me. I then told him I would not issue a refund, and he complained but then randomly decided to close the case.

Was he just trying to pressure me into a refund but then caved when I wouldn't? I hope I don't get negative feedback for this, but I am baffled he would close the case if he truly didn't receive it. Below are our conversations, just in case this may help someone else in the future on here.

Our conversations

Him Quote: Me Quote: Him Quote: Me Quote: him Quote: Me Quote: Quote: me Quote: him Quote:
    Him Quote: Me Quote: WHERE IT GETS WEIRD
    Him Quote: Does that not spew BS? He now claims he spoke to the carrier who remembers a package WITH a bag, but doesn't remember anything else? Hmm...

Me Quote:
    Him Quote: Him Quote: Him Quote:

Anyways, happy ending, for now...but really weird.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, but the $1,000,000 will just be the foot in the door. I'm sure they will slowly lower that number until it affects most of us. Not to mention, if big sellers begin to drop off, that will mean less revenue for eBay. Less revenue for eBay will inevitably mean higher fees for those of us who stick around.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

6. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Not sure if this was answered before. If a customer requests you to shp the item to a different address other thang he Paypal verified address, is that ok? After making the payment customer requested this through the eBay messaging system.

Thanks.

7. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I think you lose seller protection if you don't use a paypal verified address.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Deliver to PayPal address.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

There is a way around it. You will need to refund his payment and have him pay again. When he goes through checkout, there is an option to add a new 'ship to' address for the transaction. Once he adds it there, you will be covered under the seller protection.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I thought we were talking about the current proposal, not what may happen in the future.

11. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I went with Wes's suggestion and the customer agreed.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Thanks both - couldn't check back here in time and the guy showed up, paid via PayPal, I immediately transferred to my bank, and that was a week ago - no problems in the interim. It was a true credit card (PayPal charged me 2.9% - if it were debit / bank account / PayPal balance I would not have been charged to receive the funds, I'm fairly certain). Anyway, I guess some folks don't have cash, but do have credit cards and don't mind paying it off at 10%+ interest or whatever.

13. TheNeedMachine

Ditto that - I was in the dark on all J. Crew and took a chance on 2 sport coats - both Ludlow - one was of Loro Piana fabric - both did way better than anticipated.

14. TheNeedMachine

15. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Thanks, before your response, I hit up the store and got a few j. Crew, sure enough I get home, read the post about the ones with the 2 dots being from the outlet, check the tags...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bam! I'm 1 for 4 [​IMG] oh well, I know better now, and I think these things are nice anyways. Hope they will sell.
    On another note regarding the 200,000 listings, I'm doing about 20 auctions on 1 day auto re-up, no big sell offs there. But about 20 more items I put on 3 day and sold about half. These were items that were languishing on 30 day BIN, almost all have sold with one bid, but my stuff usually goes that way anyways, and I put the starting bid at the BIN price - no not true I lowered a few. If I was more organized I would've had a list prepared and what sold at what blah, blah blah. TLDR - if you got the free 200,000 listings take your stuff off BIN now and 3 day auction it at your BIN price.