1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Kind of bummed out. Sold my first item on ebay, and the winning bidder isn't responding. Blah!

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Congrats! and welcome to the joys of selling!

3. DanM

DanM Senior member

I've got 5 of those at the moment. Only had two ever before this batch. :(

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have roughly 2 a week. No biggie. Remind, Strike, Block, and Relist.

1 person likes this.
  5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Do you guys add people to the blacklist for non-payment? Is that too small of an infraction to warrant being listed?

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

I've never added anyone to the blacklist, where is it?

In regards to size of an infraction, I would blacklist someone for nonpayment under certain conditions. For instance, I had someone BIN on a Polo Corneliani wool/cashmere suit and then no payment, no response for two weeks. Finally, he wrote back and said he had forgotten he purchased and that the event he was buying it for was the night before and he didnt want it anymore.

Totally blacklist worthy.

8. HansderHund

I've never actually added one either, but mainly because, based on feedback, most of my buyers shop exclusively on ebay.de. You need to contact Brian for the blacklist, it's a google doc. To be honest, I've never actually looked in to how I edit it. Brian, care to weigh in or is his better suited to the dedicated blacklist thread?

Anyway, I'm curious now as I have a couple of buyers (one US based, another Russian-based) that would qualify as they both buy on ebay com (as opposed to .de or .at). One, however, is a longstanding member of ebay, I suspect he has an SF account, and he's definitely bought from people here before.

He bid and won an item of mine, asked to lower the shipping after the fact (normal for international buyers) and now I haven't heard from him for awhile. He has about 3 hours before I open a case against him. Not sure if I should/would add him to the blacklist.

9. HansderHund

^ Sorry for all of the typos, I'm on my phone and it doesn't correct English well.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

???

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Not sure how I missed that one until now.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ditto - I add all non-paying bidders as well as anyone who returns something without a real reason (my returns are only for "not as described" - if they can't tell me how the item was not as described, it's a BS return). I add them to the SF blacklist as well as my own eBay blocked bidder list, and also add other SF member contributions from the SF blacklist to my eBay block list. I'm not sure if doing all this has actually saved me any grief in the end, but it's better than doing nothing I suppose, and only takes a couple of minutes.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Cross posting from the thrift thread, since I thought it might be more useful here. I picked up a NIB Conair Steamer today if anyone is interested in picking it up relatively cheap. If not I suppose I could just upgrade.

14. TheNeedMachine

Finally broke down and got some decent mannequin forms on stands - jersey covered - not pinnable - but a huge step up from my dinky crappy hollow-back hanging male form. Grabbed a male & female, since I do have some chick stuff that looks terrible on a male form. Got them from Stamps in ATL - competitive prices and if you're in the area and don't want to make the drive, their shipping was totally reasonable ($18 to ship both via UPS, vs. me taking 3+ hours off on a weekday to go there & back).

Aside to Wes: got two hundos for those Ben Silver's I PM'd you about - nice!

15. TheNeedMachine

That's the brand I have and can say it works very well - heats up quickly, and the telescoping pole serves dual purpose as a place to hang a mannequin form if you're doing things on the cheap. Compact & lightweight; takes up less floor space than a standard upright vacuum cleaner. Someone should snag this.

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice!

17. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Can I select regional rate when printing a shipping label through a paypal transaction? Don't see it as an option.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No....and that is dumb.

I typically go to an ebay transaction from the same day, that I have already shipped and print another label, editing the address to match the one on the paypal shipping page.

1 person likes this.
  19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

That sends a new notice to the buyer though right? I haven't sold anything in a few months and don't want to mess up my dad.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, it will only really work if you just shipped something the same day. Otherwise it can mess with your top seller ratings and discount (learned that the hard way). I usually send the original ebay buyer a note telling them that they may have received a couple notices of shipment and that the first one was theirs.

2 people like this.