Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. suited

suited Senior member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's so badass that it doesn't need to shout it out loud... [​IMG]

3. suited

suited Senior member

I didn't even type that in there, the listing just auto-filled it after I uploaded the first image, and wouldn't let me delete it from the title.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

5. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Some cameras, including the one in the iPhone, use the EXIF data - specifically the Orientation tag - to set how a photo is oriented. And to make things more complicated, some programs and browsers read that EXIF tag and use it for how to display the picture...and some don't. Ebay probably changed how they handle the EXIF data recently.

I found a program called EXIF Editor that helps, since I take all my photos with my iPhone. I upload them all to the computer, use EXIF Editor to set the Orientation tags to 0 (you can do it en masse), and then use an image editor to rotate them however I want them when I'm doing my other edits.

For WAYWRN pics and other shots that I want to post from my phone, I edit the pics in the PS Express app, and when it saves the files it saves them without any EXIF data. That's too clumsy to do for a lot of pictures at once, though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

^bravo!

8. ruben

ruben Senior member

Dumb question.

A while back I thrifted a handful of shirts custom made for a local man, who's a kinda famous geeky, ex-richest man in the world.

I thought it was a cool thing to show off to friends etc etc, but as you'd expect the novelty soon wore off, and now I kinda want to get rid of them.

Is in in poor taste for me to list them on ebay using the guy's name? anyone have any sort of experience selling this sort of thing? or is it skeevey of me to even consider this?

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Me too. Worst possible week for me. Will not be taking advantage. :sadface:

Hah oddly enough I suppose you could IF you had the time and patience...its a hassle in my book to realist even though its so easy really.  But in all honesty, I have best luck with my 7 day auctions ending every sunday night.  I have thought about upping it to the 10 days like many sellers on here do, but I just don't have the time to start auctions twice a week (thursday / sunday rotation).  Plus I find that I can use my 50 free monthly listings with 7 day auctions free of listing charge...saves i think close to .50 per listing if I just do it that way versus the 10 day.
    Just Looked at my eBay seller dashboard, I seem to meet all requirements except the 3k and 100 transactions.  I think Ill get there in about another 6 weeks or so.  I need about 50 more transactions, and only 800$.  Curious to see what that does for me!
    You don't need an ebay store for this. Just set the automation rules from your seller manager page.

I once sold Roger Goodell's Zegna suit. Didn't list it as such in the title, but did say that it was from a famous sports personality and pictured the name.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Had a pleasant surprise with a recent listing. This item has had more traffic than anything I've ever sold. I had to check PTO site to see if I was magically publicized. To my humble surprise I was not. In fact I knew that this particular item would never be on PTO. But I sure don't mind picking them up in the future at thrift stores.
    [​IMG]

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I see an ass load of j crew in the thrift stores, is there a guide to separating the wheat from the chaff? Peeps here talk like it's a great brand. It's like trying to keep up with the Ralph Lauren crap. I have a post right now in the PRL Q&A trying to figure out if I scored or not. I'd love to know.
    Thanks.

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

Not sure what is valued but if the label has two dots it's j. Crew factory. Made the mistake of listing it as normal j. Crew but luckily never got negative feedback nor complaints

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Anyone receive an email from eBay asking for participation in helping to not pass a law against small businesses online taxes proposition by congress? Just received it this morning and granted I don't do enough business for me to probably see a change for me personally, I'd like to know what others take on it is.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's going to totally suck for all of is if we have to charge and report sales tax for all states.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013