Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Shoes without a box are easy ... https://ecom-prod.usps.com/store/br...uctId=P_0_SHOEBOX&categoryId=subcatMSS_B_Free

Shoes with a box can be a litter harder. Small shoes you can actually fit the shoe box into that USPS box. Otherwise, I usually just use a separate brown box and ship them Priority Mail. I find flat rate boxes dont work with shoes very well.

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Why couldn't you just wrap the shoe box with sturdy kraft (brown) paper?

3. Brianpore

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

...to wrap up my Ukranian buyer saga, he ended up paying the sale price plus the $10 I had listed for "first class international"...after he asked for tracking and whatnot, and I told him it would be an add'l $11.75 or whatever it is for Registered. ...and he added the note to his payment "I sure hope it arrives." Which of course now forces me to pay the cost of sending it registered. It's a done deal so I can say I only paid $3 for the vest (Ralph Lauren Rugby at GW) and he bought it for $51 plus $10 shipping = $61...so minus what I have to pay, still an OK margin - but let it be a lesson learned for me who has eschewed international shipping for years, as well as anyone else who is considering it - charge for registered shipping and to quote previous posters "only ship to the Paypal address". Done and done.

5. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

I was mostly interested in shipping with shoes new in box, but thanks very much. I haven't tried the Large Flat Rate Priority box yet, but the others definitely didn't work.

That's genius. Although, as Brian said, it is probably safer to just use another box. I might try that sometime soon with several layers of brown paper.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I always double box shoes that are new in box. The shoe box is part of the product, and therefore I protect it in the same manner that I do the shoes themselves.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I always use these for all of my shoe shipments, boxed or not. I keep them in stock, sturdier than the free priority boxes. Might be a bit overkill, but at least I feel confident with my package security. They fit most shoe boxes very nicely.
    50 Corrugated Cardboard Shipping Boxes 13 x 9 x 6
    Seller offers tons of box sizes. He has even found sizes for me that were not listed. I asked for a 13x10x4 to ship suits, and the next day there was a listing for those too. If he doesn't have the exact size, he will make a few suggestions of others close to it. Always ships ontime too.

A few other tips I have learned over time. Some by my mistake, some by the mistakes of others who sent me shoes.

1. Always either remove the laces, or untie them and place them deep inside the shoe. The aglets can scratch and dent the vamps, especially on smooth calf and shell cordovan shoes.
    2. Always place the shoes in plastic grocery bags, to avoid water damage in the event of heavy rain while it sits on the buyers front step. I generally place each shoe in its own separate bag.
    3. It's up to you, but I always use bubble wrap to provide extra cushioning for the shoes. Most I receive in the mail are not bubble wrapped, and it always makes me nervous when I open the box, wodering what I will find rattling around in there. I polish the shoes before I send them, so I intend for them to goright on the buyers feet and be instantly loved. I can't stand it when I get a pair of shoes in a bubble mailer or worse yet, a poly/plastic shipping bag.
    4. I also replace laces that need to be replaced, or at least throw in a new set in the box.

+1

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

8. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Is it ok to bring Etsy into the thread? It will be limited to only items 20+ years old, but the fees and commissions are cheaper. How do people feel about it as an alternative to BIN/BO?

9. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Great idea. I just shipped some (only my second pair of shoes sold). I will need to do this next time.

I do the brown paper with everything I ship. I ship form Canada with tracking and the difference between a bubble mailer and a box is negligible so I'm now tending towards boxes. And I figure a layer of wrapping just makes it look more professional and more of an event to open.

But I agree about preserving the shoe box, especially for high end shoes: you don't want that to get dinged up.

10. Brianpore

11. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Looking to open a Etsy account very soon. As soon as I get the time to work it.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If I were to explore an alternative venue, or perhaps list items concurrently on two sites, my choice would be bonanza.com...although it still has a pretty limited reach as not many folks know about it, but ditto - fees are lower, has a robust interface, and you can easily import your listings into Bonanza from ebay and etsy. I've sold a couple things thru Bonanza but never got too deep into using it. I have no experience selling thru Etsy - thinking of checking it out as well, for older items or things that don't "fit" well with my ebay listings.

13. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Hey...so I sell alot of vintage stuff that gets alot of international views/bidders. I know Sunday is supposed to be best day to end auctions, but what about times? Has anyone been able to determine what time frame for ending seems to get best results from Asia and Europe markets?

14. chiron

chiron Senior member

I have seen an Ebay seller also sell on Amazon... LINK

Is this one of you?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

15. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Thanks. I'll check them out.