Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I would not but thats just me. We can't be talking more then a few grand if they want to put it on a card. Cars are cash and drive imo...

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+1 on cash and drive.

Those cards have to be loaded with cash, I think. Anyone who says they have a card but can't pay cash is up to something.

I listed a car on kijiji last year and I got a few of these stories.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I don't even know if I'm looking for advice on this one, but I need to share. I suppose any advice appreciated :confused:

I sold a jacket at the end of March for next to nothing. Sent it, never heard from the guy, assumed all was okay until a case was opened and he sent a message that said:

He bid on article number XXXX (NOT my item)

I then wrote him on 23 March and told him his bid was withdrawn and "diverted" it to auction number YYYY (my item)

He then received a fake jacket in the mail.

He would like me to send him a new jacket, one that is real.

He would also like me to send him the shipping slip to return the one he has to me.

Obviously we never exchanged messages before/after the transaction, I couldn't possibly "divert" a bid from one auction to another (let alone from someone else's auction), the jacket I sent is, in fact, real, and I have no other jackets for him in order to replace his.

I think this person might be crazy or at least have no idea how ebay works. I'm trying to wrap my head around the situation and find a rational way he is actually thinking about this. Maybe he bid on several things at once and is confusing them?

Anyway, I suppose I'm going to call ebay and have them read it and let them have a laugh for the day. I'll just offer to send a refund and he can keep the jacket for all I care, as long as it doesn't end in negative feedback.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

4. SombreReptile

SombreReptile Member

Apologies if the following has been covered in this thread before—I searched but couldn't find an analogous situation.

I mostly sell clothing on eBay, but the other day I sold a nice piece of pro audio gear. Buyer paid promptly, I shipped it out the next day (Priority with sig. conf.). A few hours after I dropped the package, buyer messages me to say he hopes I haven't shipped the package out yet, he accidentally had his old address on the account, and gave me a new address across the country. Meanwhile his account says he's registered in yet another (third) state.

What's the deal here? A scam? an honest mistake? too early to tell?

Thanks.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Could be either case, really.

You can do a package redirect and basically stop the shipment and redirect it to either the new address (if you trust him), or back to you. You will do it online at the USPS site and will have to go through a few different authorizations to get it done. IIRC it costs about 15 bucks.

If it were me, I would have it sent back to me, have the buyer update his accounts with the correct address and rework the transaction. This will help with the "seller protection".

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

6. SombreReptile

SombreReptile Member

Thanks, capnwes. I called USPS and the lady was very helpful and actually advised me not to do an intercept—the package was delivered today, so she said to wait until it either forwards to the buyer's new address, or is sent back to me.

I'll post an update if this turns out to be at all “interesting”…

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

What's the longest you've had a USPS not show up in the tracking system? It's been a few days since I had USPS pick up my package? Should I be worried?

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So who signed for it?

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've h

I've had stuff not be tracked until after it was delivered 5 days later.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Guy is mad at me that unpaid item assistant opened a case. Fucking pay and it wont happen...

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thanks for the response.

Ugh, so irritating.

12. Hodaddy

Hodaddy Well-Known Member

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

That article pissed me off...the fact that they are going to take that to court to proceed with the lawsuit is beyond irritating.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

They gave the seller's ebay id. Make a stand :hide:

15. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Gentlemen (I'm assuming!) I have another technical question for you. When you auction items and they don't sell, I know you can re-list once and get a credit on the listing fees, but the second time, you're out of luck. Also, each relist counts as a "listing" if you're working on your first 50 free listings. I saw earlier in the thread a debate about auction VS BIN and I'd like to know your strategies for paying the least amount in fees to get your stuff sold.

Thanks for your time!
    Tom