Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Got no response in the thrift thread; Are these the nicest hand sewn button-holes I've ever seen or are the just not hand sewn??? I can usually tell quick but these look almost too nice from the back side.

Click to enlarge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Looks hand stitched to me too, don't see how a machine could do that

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Ah. Sorry. Missed that. Still good news.

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I just had a case opened against me from a French guy that bought something. I sent it with a tracking number and the last entry says that they attempted to deliver it and he wasn't home. He has the tracking number and can see this as well.

In the dialogue within PayPal, he writes in French (he wrote English to me before he bought it) that they attempted to deliver the package and he wasn't home and that they didn't leave him a slip.

Since he didn't message me first to ask about its status and instead opened a case, any suggestions on what my next step should be? I mean, the carrier likely has it and he needs to pick it up. I don't know exactly where, but I'll call tomorrow to find out about it. Anything else I should do/know?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If its a signature required delivery that you sent, and he filed a not received claim, its totally covered. All you have to do is reply very simply : "tracking number is XXXX. Attempted delivery and is now at PO waiting collection or redelivery. Please contact your local post office to claim your package". Nothing further than that. Once its scanned as delivered, (keep an eye on it, they dont check automatically), then reply again to the case saying "tracking number XXX is now delivered, thank you again for your purchase" or something like that. Then, call paypal, tell them the tracking shows as delivered, and to close the case.

If he declines the package or it gets sent back to you, then youve still got your item and your money, so you are not out anything.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What about original cost of shipping?

7. HansderHund

Thank you for that info! I sent it via Hermes Paket Service, and they require a signature. I assume it's at one of their stations, but tracking isn't showing which one exactly. I'm going to call them to find out the exact location and then post that to PayPal. Certainly the buyer could have done this, as I would if it were my package, but I won't argue with that one.

Good question. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but this was a low value item and the shipping costs were half of the price, so I'd rather not hold the bag on it.

8. HansderHund

(Quoting myself for future readers)

Follow-up on this: I called Hermes Paket Service that confirmed that they had used DPD to do the delivery. They gave me the DPD tracking info and the exact station it was. I uploaded that information to PayPal and within two hours the buyer had confirmed that he needs to pick it up, closed the case, picked it up, and left positive feedback.

Thanks Spoo!

9. diniro

diniro Senior member

I sold a jacket and seller wanted to return it because he claimed item didn't match description. I missed the email where he sent me his own pictures of the jacket and he subsequently opened a case. What does it mean when ebay settles a case with this message:

They held the refund funds in my paypal account and released it back once case was settled. Does it mean ebay has personally reimbursed him or they're leaving it up to me to reimburse him or not?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sold a shirt after extensive conversation about lowering the price. I lowered it and sent him the shirt. The tracking info still sells "out for delivery". He's opened a case stating the shirt does not match description. AS IF I could miss the measurement by 2 inches! Things like this make me wonder how Ebay can justify not being able to leave negative feedback for buyers. WTF?

He sent me pictures a few minutes later that don't really look like the same shirt I sent him.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Paying return shipping... lol. Time to teach him eBay policy.

12. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

That blows. I think ebay is changing the policy that if you win a dispute, the buyer cant give you any feedback. When i can, i put pictures of a measuring tape up against the clothes and include them in the pictures.

The best solution is to accept returns. Charge an extra $.50 for shipping on every item to cut your shipping cost if you have to pay to return an item. :nodding:

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

How much less do you get on those Robt Graham shirts that have the initials RG on them? Before someone says, "do a completed listings search". I tried and it you can't separate the Robert grahams from the RGs. Thanks.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Do a completed listing search and use the below in the search

Robert Graham "RG"

That will only pull up items that have "RG" in the title [​IMG]

But to answer our question it depends. Make sure it is not the RG London as that is a totally different brand

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

-london ;)