Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

If you don't cooperate they may suspend your Paypall account.

2. suited

suited Senior member

I shipped my first package to Hong Kong (that recent Lanvin blazer). What a f'n hassle. Ended up costing me $60 via express with insurance and sig confirmation. I have a note in my auctions that says the buyer might be responsible for additional shipping costs blah blah, I originally charged him $35. Do you guys always ask for the additional? I just let it be this time (although I did let him know that I was essentially giving he a break on the shipping), but the true inconvenience is the time spent at the post office, thankfully my fiance did it on her day off :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

3. concealed

concealed Senior member

Printing international shipping through eBay or USPS significantly cuts down time/hassle

4. suited

suited Senior member

I got errors on both websites, called USPS customer service and they said it had to be done in person because of the location...were they wrong?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Do you remember what the error was? Was it an problem with the address?

6. suited

suited Senior member

It said something like "we are not able to print shipping labels for certain locations, please visit your local post office."

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hmm, that is strange. I've never gotten that one. Of course I don't ship a lot via Express International either...mostly Priority. Perhaps that is the catch.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

HUGE NEWS (imo)

I went to ship something to Canada this morning though ebay (a tie) 1st class mail and I usually add registered mail at the post office (all total about $22 shipping). I see a new option from ebay called E-USPS DELCON INTL. This is suppose to be a new scanned tracking service though the post office like delivery confirmation but which includes Canada. Total to ship was $7.70 and I am told is is suppose to be scanned just like it would be here in the US which is all ebay needs for proof of deliver under $250 (signature). Has anyone else used this!?! Sent the buyer a refund of $15 for the difference in shipping which he already paid as it was SO much cheaper!! Fingers crossed but for a $30 tie I figured I could try it out.

• USPS is introducing a new Delivery Confirmation[​IMG] service—Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation[​IMG] International (E-USPS DELCON INTL[​IMG])—that will be included at no charge to select locations. Upon launch, this service will be offered on the following services to Canada (with more countries to come):
      • All First-Class Package International Service[​IMG] items (replacing First-Class Mail International[​IMG]—see below)
      • Select Priority Mail International[​IMG] Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes
    E-USPS DELCON INTL[​IMG] will be available through eBay Labels for qualifying shipments as of January 27. And as with other delivery confirmation services, E-USPS DELCON INTL[​IMG] information will be automatically uploaded to My eBay and emailed to your buyer.​

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, I have been using the Delcon for quite some time now without issue. Would have made a post about it, but I figured it was already available to everyone.

10. Brianpore

NICE! I have to go edit all my auctions now to make lower shipping to canada which is awesome. I never used the ebay shipping tool as I would always go to the post office and I did today by accident and that came up which was awesome!

You have full sell protection tracking to canada no problem?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Delcon First Class Tracking numbers to Canada
    LZ345086543US
    LZ476468134US

LZ410020544US
    LZ410637084US

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I, too, am excited. I just got through responding to an angry rant by a Scotsman about how my UK shipping was too high.

But my question, Brian is: Why are you only going to change your auctions for lower shipping to Canada? The quote you provided seems to suggest DelCon is available for ALL first class international packages. Am I misreading it (it is quite late and I;m quite tired....)

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Quote from USPS website....

"New for January 2013, free electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International offers scan events for customers using select software or online tools. E-USPS DELCON INTL is optionally provided for certain Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Boxes to select destinations. It will be available first only to Canada."

Only for Canada right now, but will apparently be extended to some other areas as well.

14. Brianpore