Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah I don't get too many questions on it either.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I've started taking Spoo's advice and not put the size in the title. Then in the drop down I use the measured size. Then in the description, I put the tagged size (if tagged), but will note "measures slim (see measurements)" or "could fit 44 or 43 (see measurements)" or something like that.

5. Brianpore

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Use the filter. Another thing to note is that anyone who has saved searches that email them, they're already filtered by size most likely, and the emails will cut off anything after about 30 characters, so put you're important stuff first. Have you ever honestly searched for "button up shirt xs" or do you just search 'shirt" and filter for button up in size xs?

7. Brianpore

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

A zillion people don't provide the information that makes the filter work right, so when doing broad searches, I rarely use it. That means as a buyer, I'm much less likely to find or look at your item if you don't include the size in the title. I also tend to assume that if somebody isn't putting the size in the title, they're too incompetent to get the size right on any sort of additional details section. Maybe I miss out on occasion, but it usually seems to be a pretty safe bet. Size is one of the most important things you can possibly include in your listing. Why not make it visible?

I just can't see omitting the size from the title as anything other than a money losing proposition. Why not include as much information as you can to get your item noticed by as many people in as many different ways as you can?

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

What's with everybody putting an adjective or interjection in all caps at the beginning of auction titles? I'm curious to know the thinking behind it; it seems kind of silly to me. Stuff like:

• "HOT Hickey Freeman Gray Suit Coat 40 R"
    • "WOW Valentino Boxer Shorts Lightly Used"
    • "RARE Brooks Brothers Red Tie"

I see those three quite often in different forum members' auction titles, along with GORGEOUS, SEXY, AMAZEBALLS, LIFE-CHANGING, etc.

Part of the reason I find it goofy is that it seems overdone and feels insincere: if you look at some sellers' listings, almost every item has a "WOW" or a "RARE." Meanwhile, the "RARE" stuff rarely is rare. I could see using the technique sparingly when truly merited, but I wonder if overuse is watering down the effect.

For the record, I have done it a few times myself, parroting other auctions I've seen, though I now avoid it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

While certainly no one is going to actually search for "AMAZEBALLS Harris Tweed", if you have space in your title to add it or any of the others mentioned, it is a cheaper alternative to a listing bold, border or highlight option. Basically just used as an eye catcher. Like you, I believe RARE should be rarely used. Using it once, myself, right now.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I too have fallen into that trap occasionally (even in present auctions). However I'm usually consistent in using caps for brand names, just so they stick out in the a bit (hopefully) from other listings.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I take full credit for that. Why? I dont know. But, if it aint broke, Im not fixing it.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

How do I go about dealing with a buyer that is a non payer. He purchased a NWOT suit from me Sunday 3-31, and this morning, 4-6 he messages me and says "Cancel the transaction, this was going to be a gift for my dad, but the inseam on the pants is not going to work"

From my best recollection, isn't purchasing as a gift for someone else on eBay and trying to return the item due to measurements not the sellers issue? Isn't that against eBay policy?
    How is the best way to go about it. I obviously haven't received payment, so do I open a non payment case against him and leave negative feedback?

14. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Well you can't leave negative feedback, so just open a case, which the buyer will lose, and then block them if you wish.

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

So if I cant leave the feedback, then I shouldn't worry about him being able to as well?
    I just want to make sure what he is doing is in fact against eBay policy, and what I am doing is the best way to go about it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013