1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I own the 35mm lens also and like it, just not for ebay shooting. I like the ease of the zoom when you need to shoot labels or buttons or fabric textures.

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1, I agree on all points. The 35mm is excellent, but not for eBay.
    The ease of the zoom is a necessity to me.

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

What lens do you guys use? I have a Canon Rebel with the standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens, as well as EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS. I know absolutely nothing about photography, are these enough to take decent pictures?

4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera w/18-55mm VR Lens, Refurbished by Nikon #25472B
    Me too!
    Odd timing with all this photography talk. I just dropped about 500 on lighting (bulbs, light boxes, reflectors), trying to dial it all in now. Bought one of those wifi SD cards too, pretty neat, I'm having it send to my ipad, so it comes up on the ipad screen about 10 seconds after the shot. Hoping to dramatically improve my photography game. I improved my lighting so much I had to take my backdrop down and wash it, because now you can see how dirty it is. It's in the dryer right now, gee can't wait to iron about 100sqft of sheet.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I have the REbel T3, which is a slightly older model. Got a good deal on it and used some holiday money. I love it, and it changed a lot about the selling process for me. I was damn near ready to give up because my Sony point and shoot took simply awful pictures. This allowed me to do almost a 180. Caveat that I use the standard lens and basically either the flash-less automatic or the full automatic setting 100% of the time. As long as there is adequate natural light, the pictures meet my needs. Not Ansel Adams, but they don't really need to be, do they.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Please enlighten us on your lighting system!
    Wife and I just purchased a new house, escrow closes end of July.

So on that note, I have a dedicated eBay room and am hoping to have enough room to set up a fantastic lighting / picture area!

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I'm on Canon too. I actually have quite a lot of $$ invested in lenses, but if you're just starting out and want to move away from the kit lens, the 50mm 1.8 is a great little lens for $110 that will allow you to isolate your subject and blur the background by opening up the aperture. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU

Most of the time when you are shooting a still subject (like for eBay) you want to shoot in Aperture mode, which allows you to control the depth of field. Decide how much you'd like to isolate the subject from the background and change the aperture and your distance to the subject accordingly. The Peterson "Understanding Exposure" book is one of the best around for covering the basics and getting away from shooting in auto: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390

Shoot in RAW if you can and then import into a program like Lightroom. LR 5 just came out so you don't have to worry about it becoming obsolete anytime soon. You can keyword tag your pics and it has a very powerful but fairly easy to learn Develop module for editing. It's really a fantastic piece of software and a few simple edits (crop, white balance, exposure, contrast, etc) will make a huge difference in your pics. Here's a link, get the standalone version, don't commit to Creative Cloud unless you're really sure that's what you want. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm also looking to upgrade at some point in the near future... I currently am using Canon Speedlite EX430 II on a Rebel T4i with an older 28-70 Canon zoom (I think I bought it with my Elan 7 system back in the day). This works fairly well, but I want a bit more consistency in my lighting... I shoot entirely in manual mode for product photography.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

For eBay, I second Canon. DSLR. I have 4 Canon's for digital, different uses - for eBay I use my EOS Rebel XTI. These are only 5,000 different Canon models; I wouldn't go with a point-and-shoot for eBay, I'd go DSLR.

10. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Concealed, the G15 is a great camera for someone looking for a point and shoot. I've seen some great photos from it and is a great value for what it offers. It can be used fine for eBay but to get the best pictures you will definitely need to get the right settings.

The consensus of using a DSLR may be the right way, but the G15 has a great lens which helps it to stand out. Mentioned above are guys praising the 35mm f1.8 lens, and when it comes down to it the zoom lens on the G15 is f1.8-2.8 (if i remember right) so its ability to get some great depth of field even while zoomed in shouldn't be an issue.

I used to use a DSLR but now just use a P&S. But with all cameras, it a bit subjective. Just my 2cents.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  11. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

^^ I'm probably the only one, but I've really enjoyed several of the Pentax DSLRs. I had a series of the "legendary" M42 mounted lenses from the 70s (85mm/1.8, etc...) and each new DSLR model allowed me to use them a little easier. Shoot, I even modified a Minolta Rokkor 58mm/1.2 to a Pentax mount. Not good for ebay, but a wonderful lens.

The DSLRs are pretty cheap compared to the big boys and certainly take nice enough photos for ebay.

12. txwoodworker

Here's a couple pics, still working on it. First time I took my camera out of point and shoot mode and actually changed some settings. My goal for lights is twofold. One, I do a lot of shirts and I want to minimize the ironing I do. My previous lighting showed EVERY wrinkle, this new one is going a long way to evening things out so I'm not having to make the product perfect just for photos before folding it into a tiny square and putting it into a bag. Second, is no post processing, no white balance, no crop, nothing. Just shoot and upload. This hobby of mine is getting too out of hand as it is, trying to make it take as little time as possible. As a bonus, I am using continuous lighting, so I don't have to wait between shots for the flash to charge. Having trouble with the wifi SD card. Great in theory but there seems to be some bugs that have to be worked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    using one big 4 fixture octagonal light box and one $2 clamp fixture with a nice reflector.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Awesome!

I too want to use continuos lighting. No need for flash IMO since we are not shooting live models [​IMG]

I have seen kits floating around online that include almost everything needed, but have yet to run into anyone with real hand experience.

Mind sharing how you went about deciding on the lighting you chose?

Just browsing online, it gives me a headache from all the options available options.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Some additional thoughts on the DSLR vs. P&S. I've been a happy DSLR user for 10+ yrs. Obviously one can get great ebay images with a DSLR but it's not essential to shoot with one to get excellent results.

Generally speaking, the significant benefits of DSLR include no shutter lag, fast AF, interchangeable/fast lenses, improved low light & natural light performance and more control over your image (i.e., RAW). Many of the DSLR benefits don't apply as much when you are shooting product photos (ebay). Typically your subject is static and you can control your light. Therefore, fast AF and low light performance aren't as important when you can control your subject and environment.

I think if you are interested in photography as a hobby or are shooting kids, sports, etc., you will appreciate the advantages of the DSLR. If you only need a camera to shoot product-type images for ebay, today's generation of P&S cameras will probably suffice. And the canon G-Series are always very highly regarded and well reviewed. I had a G3 as one of my early digicams.

15. Fred G. Unn

But you're comparing apples to oranges here, the sensor sizes aren't even close to the same size so you're not going to get anywhere near the depth of field. Canon Rebels (and 60D, 7D) use APS-C sized sensors, 5D is full frame, and the G15 uses a 1/1.7 sensor.

[​IMG]

Going from full frame to APS-C is a full stop of difference in terms of depth of field so a f/4 on a full frame will have the same depth of field as a f/2.8 on APS-C. I don't know what the conversion is for the G-series sensor but I would think it's at least another full stop difference so that f/1.8-2.8 is really equivalent to something like a F/4-8 and possibly not even that. Don't fool yourself thinking that since it has f/1.8 in the specs that you can get the shallow depth of field that you would from a 1.8 on a crop sensor or full frame. The G series is a great little camera though. I had a G7 years ago and used the Canon Loyalty Program to get a G11 when it died. It's a nice camera to have when I don't feel like bringing my 60D.

16. Fred G. Unn

BTW, the Canon Loyalty Program I mentioned above is a great way to upgrade your camera. It depends what they have available, but generally the deal is you give them the serial # of your existing Canon, they will sell you a refurbished Canon at 20% off the refurbished price, and when you receive it you send your old camera back. It doesn't have to be a comparable camera, you can get 20% off a DSLR by sending in an old $10 Canon you found at a flea market. Just give them a call at 866.443.8002. Here's a link to the refurbished store: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_29252

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

How many miles have you guys accumulated so far this year?

I'm curious to see where I stand with others.

18. txwoodworker

That was bizarre, somehow my response to your post about lighting Snoogz wound up ABOVE yours. Hope you saw it.

19. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Yes I did read it (atleast the one u just quoted). Where did u get ur equipment from?

20. txwoodworker

Just listened to the salesman at a hugemongous camera place. From what I can tell, the light bulbs are key, I have 4 85W fluorescents (not 85W equivalent) that are at 5000K color temp. there's 3 of them in the octagonal light box, and the one bare bulb which isn't as harsh as I thought it might be, right next to the reflector, but that light box is providing the best diffuse light. He said if you try to buy non-photographic bulbs they don't maintain, or even start out at a consistent color.

eBay talk - this RLPL is blowing up! I'm having a good week...
    RLPL

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013