Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Quick buyer Q-

Bought a shirt last night from a seller with few but all positive feedbacks. Auction ended in the middle of the night and I woke up to an auction won notice, an invoice email, and a shipping update email. No Paypal receipt email or anything (since I was asleep and all). However, when I try to pay the invoice, eBay keeps telling me that it has been paid via Paypal and the item has apparently already been shipped to my default shipping address. Yet, there is no activity in my PayPal account.

Did the item get marked as paid because the seller decided to print a shipping label before getting paid? Or, should I be changing all of my passwords?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

When you look in your my eBay purchase history, does that item have the "$" sign bolded? Or does it say "payment was made for this item on 3/30/13"?

3. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Thanks Spoo! Q answered.

4. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

If you are relisting, I would directly relist from eBay because you get eBay relist credits when you relist the same item for the second time. . Relisting from GS, eBay will charge you for the relist. This really doesn't matter if you are only using the monthly 50 free listings.

5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I list so few items I never get charged.

But does this happen to anyone else? When I try to relist a garagesale listing in ebay I only get the feature picture. All my other pictures aren't there. I'm not sure why this happens.

6. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Anyone ever ship to Chile? I got a question asking if I would, and considering that they aren't covered by the GSP, I figured it's probably smarter to pass.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have, many times. No probs (just send it insured)

8. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Sounds suspicious.

9. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I know we have a ton of terrible horror stories in here, thought I would post about the positive experience I recently had.

Had an incredibly lucky experience from an international eBay buyer.

I sold a tie to someone in the UK. Buyer wanted to haggle on the shipping cost after buying so I offered to ship first class. I didn't know how to send it registered, so I just crossed my fingers and shipped it off (I should have known better).

Buyer messages me a good bit later asking where it is and if I can track it. Of course, all I can tell is when it left the U.S. So, I am in a bind. I ask him if he could wait a week or two and see if it shows up. He messages me again saying no dice. FUDGE! I notice he buys lots of ties and resells on the UK ebay. I start investigating looking to see if he really got it and just resold it or something, but nothing out of the ordinary there. I send him a refund and apologize completely, thinking I just got dominated.

He thanks me for being so nice in refunding the money since he blames the post office and not me. A week later he messages me and tells me he heard the post office is holding the tie for him in "quarantine." A week after that he tells me he picked it up, and he promptly RESENT me the payment through PayPal.

I was totally screwed by not sending it the way we always discuss. I had accepted the loss once I sent the refund. What an awesome eBayer and a great international experience!

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Great info on the templates, Spoo.

Now all I need is to (ignore my seething hatred for Macs, sell out, buy one, then) get GS.

(I feel like I'm converting religions or turning into a Sox fan. I will justify it by saying the wife, who IS a Sox fan, wants an iPad. No selling out here. Move along, citizen.)

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Is there nothing available for a PC? I can honestly say that GS has cut my listing time down quite a bit. As I've said before, I'm always streamlining it a bit and changes things here and there, so it will take awhile before I'm satisfied with my setup, but the actual listing part of it used to be something I'd dread. Now, I do it as I go and find that I can list certain things in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Take ties, for example. I have the template ready, shipping options saved, descriptions saved. All I have to do is drag my pictures into it, change the measurements, write the title and add any extra info (such as new, flaws, etc.) and post it. After I've taken the photos, a tie takes about 5 minutes to list.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I find it easy on a PC. I just find a like item, use "sell similar" update title (which you are doing), update measurements (which you are doing), update info (which you are doing), add pictures via HTML (which you sorta do) and then have to add the small thumbnail pictures and arrange them (this takes an extra minute or two but I dont have to do this). All in all, once I am happy with the pictures, and have the measurements, to actually create a listing, even for a suit) takes about 5 minutes. It's the getting pics and measurements part that takes a long time IMO.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Not that I know. I've asked a couple of times but I usually get Spoo-abuse for being a PC guy.

I usually do a word search of my preevious listings to find something reasonably similar (same brand preferred) then "sell similar". Then its just tweaking measurements, narrative etc as needed. Still takes a solid 5-10 mins per, incl loading pics (which can be purty slow depending where in my house I'm loading. Office is great. Living room is too far from wifi).

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It's odd that there isn't something similar floating around for a PC. I don't mean to be a total Mac fanboy (though privately there is some of that :happy:), but I just find it easier from what I was doing, which is listing within ebay. Granted, I rarely used ebay's offer of saving templates, but I would click on "list a similar item" and go that route. I find that I'm willing to work on listings all week rather than sit down and schedule a bunch at one time. Maybe that's the main reason I find it more convenient, I'm not sure.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief