Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I believe that. I had trouble with brands I was previously listing with few restrictions. If the restrictions were in place, I almost feel like they moved it when I started listing more. I hit on Burberry, Hermés, Chanel, Bally, PRL and a number of others.

Thanks for that helpful info! The second person I spoke with made it sound like it was going to be no problem, so I was surprised to get an email that said I was denied a raise in limits. The third person (when I called back right after the email) wasn't helpful at all. She just kept saying that there are restrictions in place. I would ask "Okay, which brands are limited?" and she'd say "I wouldn't know that, you'd have to ask the original customer service agent." I'd then ask "What can I do to raise these limits?" and she'd quote straight from the web site " Well, we limit certain brands for certain users in order to fight counterfeiting." It just went on and on.

I'm fine if they want to monitor my account, so hopefully I have a pretty good track record by the time they review it again.

I do understand why they have certain restrictions, but when someone calls to have their specific case examined, that should immediately lift the ban, in my opinion. They can see what I'm trying to list, they can see my location and they have my name, address and bank details. Once it's clear that I'm not selling 500 pairs of Ray-Bans at €20 each from China, it should be fairly obvious that I'm not trying to abuse the system.

/rant

Thanks to all for the helpful info, I'll let you all know if I get a new limit!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

2. HansderHund

3. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Okay guys, so I rarely sell on eBay, but recently I had an amazing find in a pair of NOS Florsheim Imperial PTBs. Brand freaking new. Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171008006414?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Okay, so the buyer wants to return them for a full refund, due to a defect in the right shoe's toe. I will simply post the interactions to save time:

Dear xxx,

I just wanted to make sure you got the Florsheims. I see that they are flagged as delivered, but I just wanted to confirm you got them.

I hope you enjoy the shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Response from the buyer
    Yes, they have arrived.

Unfortunately, you failed to mention that the right shoe had manufacturing defects ( indented lines on the toe and vamp for lack of a better description ).

If I'd purchased these shoes at any retail store and noticed the defect on the toe and vamp of the right shoe like these had, they'd be going right back for an exchange. Something tells me that it's as least likely as not that was the history of these shoes to begin with which is why they were never worn.

In any case, my offer was for a NOS pair in immaculate condition, NOT a NOS pair with a manufacturing defect. I don't understand why you chose not to disclose this defect with words as the pictures certainly did not give a clear indication that there was a problem, nor did your written description.

That being said, I would like to return these shoes for a full refund including shipping. I would settle for a 50% partial refund and to keep the shoes, but I'd just as soon just send them back and start over.

Let me know what you would like to do.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxx,

Please send pictures of the defects to which you are referring.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Response from the buyer
    Well, I'm assuming that if your two dimensional photos did not clearly reflect the defect (indented lines), then neither would any two-dimensional photos I could take. I'm not a skilled photographer.

I find it highly unlikely, however, that you are not already aware of exactly what I am talking about as you, I'm assuming, looked at the shoes with your naked eye in three-dimension.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Okay, so I went back and looked at all of the pictures and there's nothing wrong with these shoes. My only guess is that there is some other reason they want to return them. Fit, buyer's remorse, getting grief from an SO, or whatever...it could be anything. I had no return policy on the listing, and my item was definitely as described. He also stated that he can't show the "defect" to me. My thought is to just say that my sales are final...in a nice way, but any and all input would be appreciated. At this point I don't think he really has a shot at a claim against me either due to what he's sent over in his messages. Here's a link to a close-up of the shoe in question, which was posted with the listing:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-VTG-Flor...a8/$T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjK+7BRQ8,8pllQ~~60_57.JPG

Thanks in advance guys.

4. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

If it was me, I'd open a case and let Ebay decide...you took pictures, he can't even take a picture to describe what he's talking about...worse case you lose and have to take them back.

5. IrateCustomer

Interesting. So by opening a case with eBay myself, it preempts the buyer from doing it. This creates leverage for me?

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Just take them back. You will lose. it possibly happened in shipping. If you expect negative feedback already, feel free to stiff the buyer on return shipping since that isn't technically your responsibility.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hate to play devils advocate....but this is likely what he is referring to....which is still complete bullshit. Just a natural leather "wrinkle". How embarassing to wear them in that condition. Everyone will be pointing and laughing.

BTW the side wall numbering clearly says "FD" which of course means Factory Defect....so there could be a loophole based on your pics alone. I wish you had PMed me that pic when we were talking about them. I would have warned you on that one. The defects are typically somewhat hard to spot, because the standards were so high in the "Age of US Footwear Quality"

[​IMG]

I wouldn't do 50%, take them back and sell them for more....you thought you undersold them anyway IIRC.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I'd have responded "They are pebble-grained leather. There are SUPPOSED to be indented lines all over the shoe."

:devil:

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

with the sidewall pictured, clearly showing the FD, and the guy so knowledgeable about factory defects (I would have missed it and just worn the shoe...) doesn't he have an argument that the buyer got exactly what was sold? But I agree with Cap: save yourself trouble, take them back and sell for more.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Recently upgraded my eBay store to the Premium Subscription. Is anyone using the Selling Manager Pro Inventory feature? Trying to figure out how to make it useful for me.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

11. IrateCustomer

I've already done it. In good conscience I had to after hearing Yoda's...errr...Wes' clarification.

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

Selling question - do you guys stop listing tweed over the summer? I would think the prime selling time would be early fall through (maybe) early spring.

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

This one's for HansDerHund and the others who use Garagesale. I think Hans was asking what to do with those auction templates that pile up. Here's what I did.

I did some listings today and spent some time organizing. Under My Templates I have a bunch of folders, one for each category I sell. One for Shoes, one for Suits, one for Sweaters, etc. I have a single template in each one. Just a representative listing.

Then I have two more folders. One for Current Auctions and One for Relisting.

So today I worked on current listings. I made a duplicate of a representative template - say one for Shoes. I dragged it into Current Auctions and customized for what I was listing. If I listed a second pair I just made a copy of the copy and used that. I suppose if you always listed Hermes ties (Spoo?) you could get more focused and have a Hermes tie template - less to change in that case.

I'll list these Sunday. Once the auctions close or resolve I'll delete Sold items and move relists into the Relist folder. That way I can keep the Current Auctions folder free for items I'm geting ready to list for the first time.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have templates for each category - tie, mens shoes, womens shoes, etc. which I just duplicate and modify as needed. I use the "delete auctions after 90 days" setting in GS to not tie up space on the hard drive.

example :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

15. HansderHund

Thank you both, this is really information that I've needed. I'm still trying to best utilize GS in order to cut down on wasted time.

I have general categories for items: jackets, shirts, pants, ties, etc. However, I'm never sure when I can delete ended auctions or used templates. I would like to delete things as soon as it's over, but I'm not sure that's prudent. For example, I will duplicate my tie template to create a listing. That listing then appears in the auction. When the auction ends, can I safely delete both or should I keep it around for a little while?

I've also gotten a bit lazy when it comes to one-off items, such as womenswear. I will simply duplicate a template and change the category and be done with it. I suppose if there is a long-term need for something, it will eventually find its place, but I should really just take the time to create a template for all foreseeable items.

I did figure out why my listing was scrolling from side to side....it was simply an error on the number of characters I had in one line. Before I had a business account, EU law suggests that you have a legal bit in your auctions stating that it's a private purchases from one individual to another and that there is no right to a return. Once you're a business account and operating as such, you're required to take certain returns so it's no longer applicable.

Thanks again and I really do like hearing more about how to best utilize the software!