1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Bring to the post office pre-packed and addressed. If you ship Priority or Standard, delivery tracking will be free. When you get back home, mark each item as "shipped" and add the tracking # (make sure you add the correct tracking # to the correct item - you might need to look at the original order on eBay to find the destination zip code and match it to your receipt to know what is what). Your PayPal payment (if by this you mean transferring from PayPal to your bank account) will not be affected at all - you already have the $ in PayPal if the buyers paid immediately. Signature Confirmation is not required unless it's something quite valuable, or the buyer requested it (if the latter, you would/should charge the buyer extra, since the USPS will charge you extra for signature confirmation).
    You can either use the Automated Postal Center (APC) or a real human - makes no difference, except many APC's are available after post office lobby windows are closed - just make sure the large bin where you place your packages is not locked, or so full you cannot safely put your package in, before buying postage via the APC.

If you plan to start selling bigger-time, consider investing in a printer and small digital scale. The printer allows you to print postage/paid mailing labels at home, and when purchased through eBay or just online in general, you get a discount. The scale is used to weigh your packages, if applicable (i.e.: if you ship using USPS Priority flat-rate boxes & packaging, then there's no need to weigh anything; however, flat-rate in many cases is more expensive than standard USPS Priority but you have to buy your own shipping boxes / mailers etc). Since your package will be ready to ship, you can schedule USPS to come to your home or work and pick it up for free via usps.com - no driving to/from the post office, which is my favorite thing. When postage is purchased through eBay, it automatically adds the tracking # to the sold item, for the buyer to be able to track.
    Downside is the printer needs ink - I just replaced mine today which cost $52. Printer paper, tape, etc also add up.

2. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. But it was weird to have it happen twice at once when I can't remember it happening before.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Update......[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Did he return them or just update his feedback?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I suppose they will be in the mail?

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

7. chiron

chiron Senior member

Thank You Cap!!!

Thank You Sir!!!
    Yes, that was my clue.

Thank You Orgetorix!!!

Now i have to polish and list them. [​IMG]

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I would care, changing his mind that quick means he is probably Bi-Polar. could get his NSA friends to track you down [​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Or he could just use the address I sent him to find me.

I think he just missed my last email and didn't realize I had authorized the return.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Hmmm... maybe you should just ship it to him first so he can inspect it before paying. Probably help speed things along.

12. TheNeedMachine

Giddy like a schoolgirl to finally upgrade from my 2005 Razr to a proper smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 Active) - now I can hit up eBay completed / Google when I have a [shirt/coat/jeans/etc] in my hand at the thrift store and am wondering to myself "Is this a something, or a nothing?" Probably save me $30 - $40 per month in regrettable purchases and pay for itself over time.

Do folks here do a lot of web searches when in the field, or just go with what you know and leave the questionable stuff behind?

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Re: all this talk. Let's give these guys some possible benefit of the doubt. When I list more than usual, I start making stupid mistakes. Recall that I'm a normal person so I don't not cool enough to own a Mac, so my method is taking a previous listing for a similar item and then modfiying it. I have on occasion genuinely forgotten to change "NWOT" or "NWT" to "Pre-owned." Mostly this was before there was the text box for describing condition, but still. It happens to me ALL the time with sizing. I skip right to uploading pictures, get distracted, then go to the description and totally forget to fill out all that info in between. I've even forgotten to change the title. So it's possible the seller is a DB, but it's also possible it was an honest mistake. But if you got your money back, who cares?

I too have a new phone. Don't love all of it, but the Ebay app is MUCH more robust than blackberry. (And no, I don't have a freaking iPhone).

Two items from me today:
    1. Still desperately seeking your ruinable, piss-stained gray trousers. Keep saving them up, boys. This is what makes SCIENCE so exciting!

2. Has anyone noticed the bottom fall out of the skeet blanket market? Four skeets, listed at $49.99, no bids, have had to relist. Beginning to sweat because I bought these at consignment.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  14. TheNeedMachine

Quote: Skeet blanket - is that like Robert Graham / Etro etc shirts? If so, some drop in interest - sold one 4XL Robert Graham at BIN after listing it a few times and dropping it a bit each time; Etro I have had to relist, and so far zero interest in a NWT Robert Graham I listed...

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This!

16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I'm posting this link here to an article about a documentary I'm watching about a photographer whose body of work was discovered after her death.

Anyone in Chicago heard of Vivian Maier? I'd never heard of her but I'm sure it was in all the papers.

Negatives and photos were bought at a storage locker auction and then flipped on ebay.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...1-secrets-from-the-workhouse-itv-8673641.html

17. TheNeedMachine

I'd heard about her after I'd already moved away from Chicago - was a few years ago when the story came to light - correct? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different everyday woman who, once she got her hands on a camera, it never left her...and she had thousands of images, undeveloped, in a storage locker. Has to be the same gal. In any case, a very Henry Darger-esque quality to it that I just love.

18. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Always, always always search in the field I wish my phone was fast enough to use Terapeak, but eBay app for Android saves (more often makes) me so much in the field. Found many odd brands that were big $ that I would've passed on.
    Yeah, I've been getting sloppy lately, I've had 2 people message me with mistakes in my listings. They've all been pleasant so far, and I've thanked them and offered free shipping for helping me out.

I'll tell you what is a constant scare, sending the wrong item to the wrong person. Sold 42 items this Sunday and just had a heart attack when someone paid and I looked at the listing and thought for sure I had mailed it to someone else this morning. I pre-bagged a bunch of stuff with the last 4 of the auction number on them for the ones I knew were going out, but a ton of stuff got sniped so I was pulling off the shelf and flipping through my box of bags. Hasn't happened yet, but it's going to, and not for a couple of $9.99 items I'm sure, it's bound to be a RLPL that had a bidding war. I'd bag everything with the listing # when I list it, but I am no Spoo and have a ton of stuff go unsold each week. So the relisted item will have a different #, that would be harder to keep up with. Anyone have a foolproof system, besides selling every single listing each week?

19. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Correct! Impressive photos. Much of them undeveloped negatives and those few that were were simply small ones done at the local drugstore.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  20. stevent

stevent Senior member

How many of you guys have issues with people not reading basic info in the listing, have gotten a few bid retractions and had to cancel sales as well since buyers couldn't be bothered to read a few lines?

1 person likes this.