Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the news of a new fee structure coming (not horrible news actually). Not going to change how I sell, BUT was reading an article and they said this:

Quote: I'll believe it when I see it, not sure how this is going to work with BIN OBO if you accept an offer, but either way it's a positive that you don't have to wait a week or more for an unpaid item case on a BIN item!

2. suited

suited Senior member

IMO I've yet to consider ebay resolving an issue like this until they prevent the person from leaving you negative feedback. Ebay ruled in my favor on a case and refused to do anything about the feedback, even though the basis for their ruling was that the guy was full of shit.

3. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

According to the spring seller update buyers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral feedback if a case is decided against them.

I don't know how that works with the appeal process though.

4. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

Should I put a mark through bar codes to prevent returns on NWT items to Brooks Brothers?

5. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Why?

6. Brianpore

+1 Why?

Better question, if you feel returning it is a better deal then selling it on ebay why dont you just go return it yourself and get the store credit?

I personally sell things NWOT sometimes when I buy them at discount stores and remove the discount store tag but that is different and I take the tags off before taking pictures or listings the item.

7. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

I was just wondering what other people did with NWT items that could be easily returned for store credit or cash. Do people typically return these to stores?

I do not feel it is right to return an item I did not purchase at Brooks Brothers for store credit.

I feel marking through the tag (since they were not bought at a discount store) is better than removing the tags and selling them as NWOT.

8. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Or you could just sell it as is.

If the stores want to mark the items to prevent returns, that's their business.

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1. Don't burden urself with other peoples possibility of deception.

10. Brianpore

Not saying I do, but you not feeling right is on you. What the person buying it does is on them. If you DO mark the tags, make sure to note that in the auction and show a picture. Even if my plan is not to return it, if you called it NWT and made no mention of the tags being marked and then I got the item with marked tags, I would be pissed. Just my opinion.

11. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

[​IMG]

So many views, no bites.

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

I would be all over those, but I'm in a bit of a cash crunch at the moment. About a dozen of those views are from me :)

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah selections seem really random, just put saved searches to email and it's much more efficient

4 pound limit, also size limit

For 6 days? Doesn't seem too much though glws

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Probably another dumb question but how do you know if ebay sent you a 1099 or not? Haven't gotten one in mail but just wanted to see if you can confirm online. Laptop dead since charger isn't working and AppleCare is failing so can't search too well at the moment. And if its personal items mostly the you sell do you even need to report?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Really? :puzzled: Doesn't seem like a mark on the tag affects the item or its value at all.

Did you make over $20,000 and have over 200 transactions last year? Or maybe that's just the paypal rule... although they're probably tightly linked.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013