Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I thought buyers had 45 days to complain?

2. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

According to the customer service rep I spoke with they have 45 days to file a claim, but 60 days to leave negative feedback. The rep essentially said I should try to stall him for 10 days.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It just snowed 4" in 2 hours here. No madras for me.

Auctions end Sunday as scheduled yes. A brief, remote island shitty wifi snafu delayed the auctions that end on Easter until about 9:30pm, but still ending as always. Ended on Sundays when they fell on 12/25, 1/1, etc. No matter to me - YMMV, from me, people expect consistency.

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

you have a shitty realtor

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

5. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

The first thing you need to learn about working with realtors is that they do not work for you, they work for themselves. Getting a quick sale is the most important thing to them, the difference of, say $10k in price equates to only $300 to them, so they don't care much about getting you the best price, just any reasonable offer. In fact, the buyers realtor has more incentive to get higher offers from their clients because while they still only get 3%, they know that there will be a purchase (the sellers realtor can't be so sure), so they want the commission to be as big as possible, and aren't having to spend any money on marketing.

But I digress.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

+1

I have them open to china hence messages, wanted to make sure. What method do you use?

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

LOL.

SF needs to allow us to customize our signature by thread, so Spoo can add "Express mail for all international shipments" to his Ebay thread sig.

Sorry, StevenT, it's just we've answered that question like 10 times lately.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

Fair point, that's what he's always said but I dunno, only experience I've had was all the Chinese students shipping iPads back from the US, and half of those get stolen in customs

Should follow this thread more but been traveling lately and just got back and need to get some tax funds in

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

But that's why you do express. It's insured and tracked beyond the border. Registered first class has a cap on the insurance amount.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

Not an eBay issue, but I thought I'd share anyway...

I die a little inside every time a Put This On roundup comes out and there are very similar items to what I have listed, but none of my stuff. Hopefully once I improve my lighting setup a bit...

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Is there a ceiling for first class/parcel/slowboat-to-china weight limit for a box? I want to quote a potential buyer in the UK a shipping amount and all I'm getting is International priority and express something or other. $50 to $70. This is for a 6 lb box. I thought you could do a parcel box for a lot cheaper to the UK? Did they do away with that?

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I've only been on the roundup once, and it didn't even net me a sale so don't die too too much inside.

14. suited

suited Senior member

They [PTO] seem to enjoy unique photo setups in combination with the overall niceness of the item itself. I often see items with cool/out-of-the-box backdrops or surroundings listed on their roundup. I'm sure the item itself is the driving factor, but perhaps the creativity of the photo plays a role when there are lots of similar items listed. They had a blog post that addressed their selection process a few days ago.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

15. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Word of warning: Block eBay user stacerose646

In related news, eBay finally came through for me on a dispute with a buyer!

He said the suit had a stain on the lapel (which it did not) and before I could reply to his message he opened a case against me.

I agreed to the return- I figured if I sold it once I could sell it again, no real loss on my part. Cost of business I suppose...

Anyways, he took quite a while to return the suit, which seemed odd since he couldn't even wait a day for me to reply to his initial email. So, two weeks later the suit arrives and the vest is COVERED in small red stains that were not there when I sold him the suit. I look closer and see a couple of larger stains on the pants.

I don't know if he wore the suit or if it was out on the dining room table etc. Either way, big bummer for me. Now I'm out the suit AND the money.

I called eBay immediately and spoke with an extremely friendly and helpful woman named Tara. She closed the initial case in his favor and opened an appeal based on the return of damaged goods.

Within 12 hours the money had been placed back in my account.

I've since dropped the suit off at the cleaners to see what magic they can work. I'm not very hopeful but I also don't really care at this point. The way I see it, eBay made me whole and that's all that counts!