1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

I have lot of viewers and watchers but the actual sales are down significantly in the last two weeks. Is anyone seeing this?

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Welcome to Summer Vacation season. This month is consistently my worst sales month every year.

3. suited

suited Senior member

Glad I'm not the only one. Last month was my best month so far, but June has been really slow.

4. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

Wow never even crossed my mind about the summers being the cause of the slow down. I guess its time to grab some auctions that are falling through the cracks.

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'll echo what most said on here, but thought I'd add a couple of things. If you're listing nice/popular things with accurate descriptions and good, clear photos, your feedback probably won't factor into many people's decision. Ebay has enough buyer protection these days that unless something is being sent directly from China from a seller with 0 feedback, a lot of buyer confidence exists. Your format will depend on what you'll list. Niche items/brands/sizes are better off with a buy-it-now format or having an opening price of what you are fine with receiving (assuming there will only be one bid). If you want quick sales, auction format is likely the way to go. If you want a guaranteed minimum, go with a buy it now or at least open with a minimum price ($50 rather than $0.99, for example). It can be a good amount of work to do a lot of listings well, so everyone here would be able to offer you several recommendations for consigners (several within the thread) that are trustworthy and work to get you the best price. Of course it will cost you in commission fees (a percentage), but it takes the work out of it from your end and you'll often see speedy results.

6. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Too true... Sold a recent 2 button HF in staple charcoal grey suit, LP fabric super 150s for $71... to wowniceshirt!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. DanM

DanM Senior member

Same here, got that last week.

He bought a Paul Smith suit off me last week for $70.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Relisted for $1700.

9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Did you make a profit off of it?

10. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Ha sadly this is probably going to be more truth than fiction. I really thought it would go much higher based on the recent label, color and cloth... so disappointed.

I did make a small one but had I known it would go for that I would have just proxied it to an SF member. But that always reminds me why that's why I never mind him bidding. It's more the idea that hurts but in the end he pays me more than the next highest bidder, pays fast and leaves positive feedback so it's a good thing.

11. concealed

concealed Senior member

buyers on eBay don't think about negative/neutral feedback the same way as we do as sellers. many buyers think giving you 4/5 stars on the detailed seller ratings should be the standard and 5's are reserved for people who go above and beyond. any top rated seller knows how important it is to get negatives/low DSR's. It's a bit of an information asymmetry problem.

I have said it before, but I think eBay should limit the negative impact of buyers who trend towards giving negative/neutral feedback and low DSRs, as it unfairly brings down the average.

1 person likes this.
  12. suited

suited Senior member

Yeah, and I would think that eBay would make exceptions when the seller immediately agrees to issue a refund. Why should they be allowed to leave neutral feedback when they got their money back? She didn't even contact me prior to leaving it (other than requesting the return) - apparently she was upset that she had to pay return shipping, despite the fact that she never mentioned that to me. I'm glad I don't sell large quantities of women's stuff...

1 person likes this.
  13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'm on track to having June be my strongest month this year...granted I don't have the selling history as you (xxyears+), so I suppose my sales tracks are rendered moot as of this point in time.

14. DanM

DanM Senior member

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I just had my most favorite exchange ever with a buyer, which I felt like I have to share. The item: A John Varvatos USA Slim fit shirt that sold for $10.49. Delivery confirmations shows received at his address 2 days ago. Here are the messages, in their entirety:

Dear Androfan,

Whatever address you shipped this to, it was wrong. I never received it. The shipping status says delivered.

I expect a full refund back in my pay pal account by Monday. If not, I will take action.

Do everyone a favor and don't ever sell anything on eBay ever again. You're worthless.

- jra9314

Dear jra9314,

Tracking number XXXXXXXXXXXXXX via USPS. Item confirmed delivered June 12, 2013.

Please see the tracking information.

Thanks.

- Androfan

Dear Androfan,

Yeah I did check it. Says delivered and its not here. Go fuck yourself

- jra9314

You've got to love a guy who can get to "go fuck yourself" within two messages. I expect a case to be opened shortly.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

...aannnddd blocked. Sorry man, thats no fun.

1 person likes this.
  17. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

What a dick! Add him to the black list page.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  18. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Andro that sucks. Thanks for the info tho, blocked him

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

But... is this lake woebegone? Are we all above average? This is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Grade inflation hurts everyone: the above and beyond crowd get lumped in with the average and get no returns on their investment, the average get a false sense of worth and never get true feedback on how to become exceptional (and a rude awakening when they fail) and the buyers get average service when they expect better.

Andro: that blows. I had a dude return an obviously unworn pair of shoes because they had some color transfer on the toe box that would easily have buffed out, and had "45" written on the sole. I even gave him a free tie - yet another example of where giving the free gift has backfired (seriously, a disproportionate percentage of my "free tie" items end up being returns or nasty exchanges). I just hope they sell for more second time around. I may even send him the link if they do.

20. suited

suited Senior member

I have some auctions ending between 9-9:30pm tonight. I didn't think about Father's Day. Hopefully I didn't screw myself.