Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Any thoughts, advise on this?

Thanks.

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Very interesting...I would have thought the opposite for folks trying to sell something. For instance, non-professional sellers (i.e., seller on Pawn Stars) think their item is worth so much more because of sentimental reasons, age of item, etc. Perhaps that's where the cheap-ass bottom feeding ebay buyer comes into play.

Brianpore always a wealth of info on this thread [​IMG]

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

This is generally true. Think about real estate transactions. Each side feels like the other is in the power position. Those selling their house think that the first person making an offer is the only person who will be interested in their house, so feel compelled to accept the offer lest they not receive another, whereas buyers who like a house will think every other buyer will love the same house so feel compelled to move quickly and with strong offers.
    Clearly as a generality it does not always hold in specific cases, but is well worth remembering during the process.

6. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Excellent advice. Once I learned to let the buyer name his price, I was surprised how often I'd get an offer that was closer to my listed price than I'd expected.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

"Seriously? It's .25 inches wider."

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ Perhaps I'm giving the questioner to much credit, but he may have been asking about the length. Could be that he assumed the tie length would grow in proportion with the width.

9. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

What are you guys doing about Easter Sunday?

10. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

x2

But then again, I come here for the community, rather than a business type of thing.

I'm not saying the seller had to accept the item back, but I would have in his position. I would definitely never buy from him again, and if I was asked I would advise others of what happened to me and let them decide on whether it's worth taking a chance on this guy :)

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

This kind of bums me out. I have had nothing but good experiences here on style forum, both buying and selling. I have returned two items when they arrived with damage not mentioned in the original thread, and the seller was extremely apologetic and helpful with the return. While I understand having a "no returns" policy, the seller in question has a policy for random strangers on ebay, but doesn't honor it for someone who has the same interests as himself and is part of the SF community? Maybe I'm too sentimental, but I think better of SF members usually...

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

China is a no for shipping new Alden's to right? Just listed and get a bunch of messages from chinese buyers

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Taking my daughter on an egg hunt, then enjoying a giant fucking ham. How bout you?

If you dont ship Aldens to Asia, you are losing out on hundreds of bucks in bids.

14. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

An Ebay buyer bought a shirt by "Vince" from me back in January and contacted me today (50 days later) to tell me that it is counterfeit because the material is "paper-thin". I highly doubt anyone takes the time to counterfeit Vince shirts and the shirt had MOP buttons, which seems like an odd expenditure for a counterfeiter.

This is all over a $15 shirt - is it even worth trying to argue about this with him? Or do I just suck it up and give him his money back? Thoughts?

15. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

Giant fucking hams will be involved. Probably madras shirts and shorts too (it's like 100 degrees here in Phoenix.). I am guessing most people will be doing the same. You still gonna end your auctions on Sunday?