Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Sadly for this young man, the fish he must currently fry are of a larger variety.

2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Brian, TAL makes BB's non-iron shirts and probably all their made-in-Thailand SCs, too. That's about all I know. I'd guess that one probably came from the BB clearance center in NC, where you can find all kinds of odds and ends like stuff BB makes for other brands, etc. Can't give any advice on listing, it though.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You are probably correct about it coming from the Clearance Center. I have seen that label on samples.

Brian: Ultra Rare One-Off Brooks Brothers Prototype!

4. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

eBay is a joke! Won't remove negative feedback from a buyer that couldn't read, message clearly shows he retaliated for me not refunding money due to being illiterate. They really need a better system that levels the playing field, right now buyers have all the power..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

My first ebay story, as a buyer.

I was trying to sent my paypal contact info, through ebay messages, to a seller. Ebay kept flagging any email i wrote to seller . Citing error or telling me they did not want email info shared for my protection. They really make it difficult to work outside ebay... :embar:

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Think outside the box. Something like the below usually works.

xxx at a o l dot com
    xxx at g m a i l . c o m

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I feel like a spook communicating through ebay with the seller, thanks for the advice
    :fistbump:

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

How do you guys handle offers on auctions? Obviously it's on a case-by-case scenario, but about 90% of my listings are auction style. I get offers during and after they end, but I prefer to reduce the price and re-list, but I don't want to turn potential buyers off from bidding at the new price. Do you offer discounts in shipping? Knock down the price? Sometimes I'm even insulted that they want to offer 50-60% of what I had it listed AND free shipping. I'm just curious how you guys handle these things.

9. chiron

chiron Senior member

So the saga continues...ebay LINK

The response from the usps about my lost shoes.

Please note the spelling errors from the USPS!!!!!

Quote: My PM to the seller :

Quote: His response to me :

Quote: Should I wait for the seller or open a case with eBay?

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

^^^^

From ebay: http://pages.ebay.com/buyerprotection/sellerFAQ/index.html

Is there a time limit for a buyer to open a case?
    Generally, buyers have 45 days from payment to open a case—the same as with the current PayPal dispute resolution system. Exceptions may be made to buyers based on factors such as member account information, listing information, item location, and shipping method. You'll be asked to work things out with the buyer, but if you're unable to come to an agreement, we won't require reimbursement from you for cases filed after 45 days from payment.

What if the item is still in transit when the buyer opens an item not received case?
    If tracking shows that the item was sent within the seller's handling time, but hasn't arrived yet, we may ask the buyer to wait. We may also extend the amount of time buyers should wait depending on circumstances like the use of a slower shipping service, or sending an item internationally.

That said, I would give him a few days to contact the post office and look into it. It would personally annoy (not that I can do anything about it) if he asks a question and then files a case right after. Give him till Tuesday or so to get back with you. If you arnt happy at that time then open a case. Just make sure you do it within 45 days of paying!!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

11. chiron

chiron Senior member

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

One thing I have learned is to let them name the number if they want to negotiate. Then I either accept it or reject it. I will not "give them my best price" because that usually leads to the prospective buyer giving a lower counteroffer. I don't have the time or patience to enter into long negotiations with cheapskates.

13. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

got my first neutral feedback from the guy who thought the blazer i sent him was black. I offered him a full refund, but I guess he wants to keep it despite the color? Can you leave responses to neutral feedback, or only to negative?

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

how did you respond?