Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on how to store the Wool Suits and Sport Coats. Googled and read some posts - most of them recommend using freezers or cedar. What's the right thing to do?

2. TheOnlyNap

TheOnlyNap Member

Hey guys, I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but I'm 18 years old and on a very tight budget as far as nice clothing is concerned. I was looking around on Ebay and saw a used Brooks Brothers pinstripe jacket on there for $10, and bought it for the heck of it to see what I'd get. It came with a few holes in one shoulder and the inside of one arm torn. I'm considering getting it reweaved, but I've never done anything of the sort. Is it worth it? Also does anyone know any good sellers on Ebay for those of us that aren't so financially inclined? Thanks for the help in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

If those holes weren't disclosed, I'd consider asking for a return.

Reweaving will run you $40-50 per hole. Check out http://www.fabricreweaversusa.com/ There's also Alex's in LA, but I've heard they're more expensive. Be patient, the process takes time.

You can send your item to both FRU and Alex's and they will fix and send back all for one price.

Ebay's just a waiting game. Know what you want, know your budget then pounce when you find something you like within your budget.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Huh? I dont accept returns, and I never said that... :confused:

Did anyone else have trouble uploading from Garagesale last night? I had 70 auctions get stuck because of a server error message... :cloud:

5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I uploaded a dozen last night and it was the easiest time I've ever had. Not sure what's up with those server errors.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So annoying...

[​IMG]

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

The lining issue could be an honest mistake, but the moth holes...throw it away or return it. Contact the seller if the holes were not disclosed, although if you have to pay shipping then you won't gain anything on the return of a $10 item which may cost $10 to ship. A BB orphan is not worth reweaving.

If you search diligently you may be able to find sellers on SF who will help you out with reasonably priced stuff. Maybe even Brooks Brothers if you are lucky.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Not ebay, but I got an ebayesque question from an SF member: is Brooks 3 inch tie much larger from Brooks 2.75 inch tie? :brick:

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

That was my point. "He" referred to the other seller, sorry for the ambiguous pronoun.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

For a question that simple, I'd reply by asking him how much larger he considered 3 inches than 2.75 inches.

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Ask him for his girlfriend's thoughts on the matter :hide:

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Im surprised no one has called him out/advised him about buying a pinstriped orphan too.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

OK gents....any info would be great..... this just came in on consignment along with 5 other Brooks Brothers suits and I am told it was bought in a Brooks Brothers store.....did some research and TAL is a HUGE HUGE HUGE clothing manufacturer, but how do I go about listing this thing on ebay?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]