Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. PattyC

PattyC Senior member

Bit of a newbie questions here, but do you guys all list on Thursday evenings? I was always under the impression that Sunday was the best day to list for 7 day auctions.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes

Yes. Thursday nights....but for 10 days ending on Sunday night. That way you have two weekends of exposure. It is worth it. Search back a bit in this thread, I have actual data to back it up.

3. PattyC

PattyC Senior member

Ah makes sense, will look into it. Thanks.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Seller did nothing wrong, I was just venting frustration at myself. After waiting over a month watching the perfect pair of jeans that I was after and being upset that they sold, I found a similar pair (first mistake I guess). I wasn't sure about the wash, but I thought it looked good and figured I was safe because there was an unconditional return policy. Decided to buy, but thought the seller may be one of the resellers from the RRL thread, so I messaged him asking if he'd like to transact outside of ebay. Asked for a 5% discount, basically a split of the FVF, but didn't bother bartering because they were priced at fair market value and I was willing to pay that for what I wanted. Anyways jeans arrived, and I don't really like the color in person (gray is hard to capture as it is) and they fit much looser than my other jeans of the same brand/cut. Asked if he would be willing to take a return and I would pay his original shipping (free in the auction), plus restocking fee, plus my shipping. He didn't have to of course because I didn't buy them on ebay... and he didn't. So I'm stuck with them. Again, seller did nothing technically wrong; I'm just frustrated that I tried to do something nice by avoiding ebay and will now be out more money. It's totally my fault, wasn't worth the $5 saved, and I won't buy from him again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

what a dick. username on sf? i think you should be able to resell them on ebay, you will probably lose $20 out of the affair, but its better than keeping clothes you don't fancy.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I'm not the seller (just to make that clear), but WHAT? The seller did nothing wrong. As VLSI said numerous times, the seller did nothing wrong.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Jeans are already listed, and yes, it will be about a $20 mistake. At least he said I could use his pictures :crackup:

Unfortunately, yes :( Like I said, lesson learned. However, I typically would have asked for a larger discount if I was going the SF hook-up route, so given that I actually allowed him to net more money off of me this way, it's a little annoying. Just mad at myself really.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I have to depart from you, Brother Pore.

Seller got every penny of what he would have expected on Ebay, plus some. Why is it unreasonable, from a strict fairness perspective, to expect him to honor the same warranty, especially among a community like this? VLSI's return offer was so fair, that the seller would have been strongly protected (though, dude, if you did the math, I suspect you're going to do better NOW by selling on Ebay than via the return). If I were all lawyering it up from a negotiation perspective I would say he created a course of dealing by offering those terms on Ebay, and then by receiving essentially the same price here, he created the expectancy that the same terms applied via the course of dealing. If I were litigating it, I might not like my chances, but at least from a negotiation/contract formation standpoint, it seems like bad faith.

Just MHO.

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

For transactions through SF I'm thought it was generally accepted that once you get the item it's your problem; if you don't like the fit or the color or whatever just resell it (like VLSI is doing). If I sold things through SF I don't think I'd accept returns.

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

+1.

Just about everywhere else in the world, there's no returns on used items bought secondhand. The only reason sellers allow them on Ebay is that Ebay holds a gun to their heads and forces them to do it. If you do a deal outside Ebay, the default assumption should be no returns allowed.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

None taken! I just wanted to address a couple of points.

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

i didn't say he did anything explicitly wrong, but i still think his actions are that of a dick, he netted more money through the sale than he would have on eBay and VLSI offered to pay a restocking fee and to pay return shipping.

i am also operating under the assumption they are NWT jeans (you mentioned below regarding second hand)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yes, but to me that seems driven, in large part, because -- at least in the olden days and still through the thrift thread -- people are getting a MUCH better price than ebay. In consideration of that savings, the buyer is accepting more risk.

Here, VLSI paid MORE than what the dude would have gotten on Ebay by splitting the fee. Indeed, VLSI's offers all around were incredibly fair. Seller gets more money, faster sale, reliable buyer, no threat of negative feedback. He sells through Ebay, he gets none of those things AND has to honor returns. Yes, Org, at a gun to his head, but even so, help me understand why fairness dictates that the seller should get a windfall in EVERY category? Hell, VLSI's offer even guaranteed him his profit post return. He just seemed like he was stiff arming VLSI's generosity and saying "Your problem now, fool." That's really all I was reacting to. I guess I might feel differently if the proverbial shoe were on my foot, but I'd like to think that's not how I'd operate under the circumstances.

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Tell that to Spoo. The only reason he has a return policy (w/ restocking) is because he gets discounted FVF, and he has determined that taking the occasional return will net him more money due to the discount.

Yup.

This is how I feel :( Part of my purchase decision was based on the safety net of a return policy -- I'd of course never buy something with intent to return, but it helps ease your mind when buying clothes via the internet. When I realized he was an SF member, I figured dealing outside ebay would be mutually beneficial, though decidedly in his favor which I didn't mind because I thought the price was fair -- and why I didn't request any tangible discount on his end. Having already made the purchase decision, I totally dissociated the fact that the return policy would no longer apply. So yes, I'm the fool and lesson learned. In the future, I will either buy through ebay or negotiate a price that properly accounts for the increased risk I incur as a buyer dealing outside of ebay.