Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

hmm not looking good, but I have seen (on extremely rare occasion) packages take up to 45 days to find their way. At the moment, I actually am awaiting a package from SF user IrateCustomer. He sent it in mid February. It was last scanned on 2/19/13 when it left my local post office, 2 blocks away. Was never scanned as delivered, haven't seen it since. It happens once in a blue moon, thankfully not too often....but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it happens to you.

2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

He didn't request a refund through pp, sent me an email complaining about the 3 button and I explained listing was clear and NO.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

3. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Thanks, Wes. I tried logging out and fiddling with the parameters again but same problem it seems. Perhaps a call to ebay to satisfy my curiosity tomorrow.

4. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Thanks, Wes, that's what I thought. A woman called me "unconscionable" for having such a policy.

5. Edward Melvin

Edward Melvin Member

Hey guys,

I just bought a Zegna suit from eBay. The label said Courtoue San Francisco. I know that the store used to carry Zegna clothes but I'm not sure if it's actually designed and made by Zegna.
    Does anybody have any idea about this suit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance guys.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Most folks pay it, but as they start with the resistance, I let them win. Not worth the fight.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I am putting most of my ebay stuff out there with a BIN, but it seems that having 10 to 20 auctions starting at $1 drives buyers to the BIN items. Without a doubt auctions are bringing less. Now is definitely not the time to auction odd sizes (39, 41, 43 jackets).

8. chiron

chiron Senior member

From CT to IL...

I contacted USPS last week and they gave me a case number. Do I just wait or keep calling?

Mine is only a couple of miles away. [​IMG]

9. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

On the 'Inspector' menu you can click on the 'Advanced' tab and check the 'eBay Store'. If you create store categories, then you can use the drop-down menu to pick the appropriate category. That's all I did. Not sure anything more is required.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That might explain (in part) why I'm sending fewer things to some countries, but Austria has been a bright spot in the whole recession. We've had the lowest unemployment rates for over a year, beating most of the world (hovering at 4.5%). Manufacturing has increased within the country and export rates have gone up as well. The German economy has also been one of the strongest in the EU and, considering its size, should be a considerable market. About 90% of orders go either within Austria or to Germany. No, the biggest difference is that there are fewer ebay users in Europe. While it's not a primitive ebay system here, I believe there is a different mentality when it comes to buying used clothing in general, or even new clothing on ebay. Bidding wars have never been a huge part of the German-speaking world's ebay, at least when it comes to menswear. That's not to say I haven't had some surprising outcomes, but I can reliably predict the end price of an auction fairly well. That hasn't changed a bit. Sending everything I want to sell to the US would be impractical and crazy. Shipping costs are high and the exchange rate reduces anything that I make. I'm happy to consign certain items that won't sell here, but it would be impossible to make money sending everything overseas. Furthermore, it wouldn't make sense to sell new items through someone else. Finally, your state seems to be in a pretty big fiscal mess as well. Are you shipping everything out of Illinois to consign it? Not sure if you were serious in your post, just thought I'd address some of the flawed logic.
    Thanks for that! I had found that option, I just wanted sure if anything extra was needed to get the lower rates associated with an ebay store.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

12. suited

suited Senior member

I swear to god...

[​IMG]

From the listing:

Other than that, the rest of the piece is in mint condition, disassembled and ready to be transported. LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. You will need a large truck to transport this. The headboard is very large and will not fit inside an SUV.

My response to her question was "really?"

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

^^^Don't you love it?

I got this one the other morning. Note the title, description and photo which all answer the question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

The store pricing is automatic and GS I think uses the boiler plate eBay costs . Even when there are eBay promotions, GS will report standard eBay costs.

15. suited

suited Senior member

:happy: luckily with the bed I was able to respond in a way I couldn't respond to someone that was actually going to buy something and leave me feedback. I've had a handful of people ask me to ship the bed to them - some said they would pay, etc. It's almost like they've never been exposed to the process of mail or shipping before, and they think it's going to be $40 for me to ship them a massive king size canopy bed.