Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

So, what do you all do when someone bids an item up, wins the auction, pays for it; and then an hour later requests to cancel the transaction?

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No harm no foul, I send the cancellation request in. Once they accept it, I send the refund. I'm only out the small initial ($1 or so) listing fee. It sucks, but I just relist it and hope for a higher price next time around. If the final price is up there, I will send a second chance offer to the second bidder.

The way I look at it, it's better to find out right away than have to deal with the whole return process, where they might end up making bogus SNAD accusations or something + I'd be out shipping costs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

3. Napaduck

Napaduck Well-Known Member

I have to go to the gym after reading in this one.

"I was very disappointed to learn that you had made an error in the size of the suite you sold me. Your auction description labeled the suite as 43-44 R when in fact this suite was a 44 Long. The tag on the inside pocket of the jacket clearly indicated that this is a 44 Long, not a 43 or 44 Reg as indicated in your add. I would request that you promptly refund my purchase price including shipping of the suite both ways."

I listed it as a long under Item specifics, and in my item description/details. And I included all measurements... 25 1/4" sleeves, and 33" jacket length... Clearly it's a long. It said 43-44R in my title... Guess I'm screwed once again! Any way to put a requirement to have only bidders that can correctly spell and read.....

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

^ confused, but if you put 43R in your title you are kinda screwed.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

You put 43-44R in the title...why? If it was a mistake ok, fess up and send the guy his money back. Not sure why your upset if you messed up the title of the auction. That said, if you want to give the guy a hard time (expect a negative feedback if you do this), make him open a case, he will win, send the item back and he will get the cost of goods + initial shipping back, but not the return shipping which he asked for.

I think you really should be saying "anyway to put a requirement that sellers double check and dont screw up an auction title" [​IMG]

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You're not mad at yourself for basically messing up the most important part of the listing? You're mad at the guy who searched for a 43-44R and found your mislabled item instead?

Interesting ...

7. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

I'm thrown for a loop today: Of the 6 or so sport coats I've had up since Thursday, only a few are showing up when searched for by size. For example, searching for "vintage tweed" brings up the listing, but qualifying it "44 regular" with the search modifiers at the side makes it vanish. Double checked my listings, and they're all correctly marked, so what gives? Depending on how a buyer shops, my merch is invisible.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have noticed that I am unable to see my own listings when I search with too many criteria checked. Not sure why that happens. I just assumed it was smart enough to know I didn't really need to see my own stuff. Maybe try logging out and searching again.

9. chiron

chiron Senior member

I'm testing out the opposite of the "loss leader" strategy currently. My thinking is that I'm attracting the non-bargain hunting crowd. Higher price points are not "BAD" they are just another way to get 'eye balls.' Plus when I do accept an offer (BIN/BO) its at 20-30% off my price rather then 20-50% off a bargain price. But, this is all dependent on your items condition , season and the brands real world value.

10. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

11. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Thanks, Cap. Possibly a stupid question - is that 10% of the listing price or the final sale price?

12. chiron

chiron Senior member

Don't take this the wrong way but the EU is in an economic mess. Your better off sending your items to Spoo or Brian for consignment in the US.

13. chiron

chiron Senior member

What are the chances of me getting this package?

Processed through USPS ELK GROVE VILLAGE IL 60007 02/24/13 8:19am Sort Facility

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Where from and where to? Going to take a few calls but I would say 50/50

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That is a nice looking coat. sucks the sale didn't hold up. Be careful on that size though. A 21" pit to pit would indicate a 40 to me not a 42.
    Final price. I drop it down a bit if it is a higher ending auction. can't really justify $30 for restocking a sport coat, when the shipping was only $6. The main thing is having the policy clearly in place.