• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calder

Reaction score
The other thing that struck me as odd is that the buyer said that on the actual shipment day I might need to declare the item's price to be much lower than it actually is ($10-$20 he said) as Russian customs are notorious for halting everything they consider to be too expensive.
He's trying to evade paying customs duty or value-added tax (or whatever they call the equivalent in Russia).

That's actually illegal in any jurisdiction. Don't do it.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
If it is sold though ebay, then ONLY ship the shipping address which is supplied when the buyer pays for the item with paypal. For international you can ship (IMO) 1st class registered mail though the post office (for a sweater this is going to be under 4 lbs, so no problem for 1st class mail + $12 for registered mail), OR use Express Mail. Both of which track the package and require the buyer to sign for the package (which is what you need for ebay/paypal proof of delivery) for items over $250. I would add insurance, and DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT lower the price on the customs form. Besides being illegal (pretty sure, you would need to double check), if your item is lost and "stolen" then you only have insured a $10 or $20 item and not a $400 item which is what he paid.

Sure other will throw their hat in the ring, but this is my opinion and have never had an issue shipping international to any country.

Thanks, I will definitely go for 1st class registered through USPC if I do decide to proceed.. Before I message the guy back with a shipping estimate I may try to probe around a little longer to see if I have any biters within the states, as this would obviously make things less complicated.

He doesn't have a job but he's buying a $400 sweater?
Just don't do it. You will not get to keep your money long.

Yeah, I thought that was a little questionable, but the sweater is a size 46 italian, which leads me to believe (since not many grown men are this thin) that he's just a kid who is spending all of his paycheck from waiting tables on a sweater that he will buy and then probably never find the occasion to wear..

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks, I will definitely go for 1st class registered through USPC if I do decide to proceed.. Before I message the guy back with a shipping estimate I may try to probe around a little longer to see if I have any biters within the states, as this would obviously make things less complicated. 

Well you still have the problem of him being registered in London. If you only take one piece of advice from all this, do as Brian said and ONLY ship to the address listed on the paypal transaction. Just don't let $400 cloud your better judgement. Do a little more probing as you said and make a decision from there.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
He's trying to evade paying customs duty or value-added tax (or whatever they call the equivalent in Russia).

That's actually illegal in any jurisdiction. Don't do it.

Quote:

I definitely wouldn't lie to customs (I assumed it was illegal but wasn't sure, and wouldn't have done it anyway).. The guy sounds genuine through email, but after these few posts I won't go through with it.. too many sketchy variables, and the customs tax is just wrong as stated^.. Thanks for the info from everyone who put in their two cents!

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
If it is sold though ebay, then ONLY ship the shipping address which is supplied when the buyer pays for the item with paypal. For international you can ship (IMO) 1st class registered mail though the post office (for a sweater this is going to be under 4 lbs, so no problem for 1st class mail + $12 for registered mail), OR use Express Mail. Both of which track the package and require the buyer to sign for the package (which is what you need for ebay/paypal proof of delivery) for items over $250. I would add insurance, and DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT lower the price on the customs form. Besides being illegal (pretty sure, you would need to double check), if your item is lost and "stolen" then you only have insured a $10 or $20 item and not a $400 item which is what he paid.

Sure other will throw their hat in the ring, but this is my opinion and have never had an issue shipping international to any country.
+1 Very good advice. I have had mixed results to Russia / Eastern Europe, but I have never had an issue using USPS Express. Something to keep in mind that with USPS Express there is insurance automatically included at no additional charge. Not sure if there is a cap amount, you can check with USPS.
That's really great advice. Does anyone have a PayPal bank card and if so, could they share their experience?
I read an article several years ago that said the biggest problem with something like that is that PayPal is not an insured financial institute. Hence, should they go under tomorrow, your money is gone. That also makes sense.
+1 I keep a minimal balance in my PayPal account.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you ship ties? Folded or rolled up, and in a bubble mailer or box?

Lightly / gently folded in half, and half again, wrapped in white tissue paper & taped so as not so bonk about; inside a small Priority Mail box (well, for my last two Ferragamo's...if it's BB or other under $20 I just use a padded mailer).

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a little off topic but since it's going on ebay I thought I'd start here.
This is from a Boss suit I picked up. I'll included measurements of course but what the hell size is this tagged?
What is "102"? Being Canadian I'm inclined to think that this is 102 cm which equals 40.25 inches.
Thoughts?
file-27.jpg

This is the exact same tag that's on my made in Italy Boss Golf pants. Cluttered and can't tell size easily...

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
I checked out HansderHund's link on the previous page. (Thanks HH).
Informative but not really illuminating. I had trouble understanding how the same number can mean different things, depending on only the body type. Maybe I'm missing some vital cross reference number on the tag.

At any rate, I'll be consigning it because my margins are higher. Plus potential buyers will actually be able to try it on.

Wrenkin

Reaction score

^^^
Informative but not really illuminating. I had trouble understanding how the same number can mean different things, depending on only the body type. Maybe I'm missing some vital cross reference number on the tag.
At any rate, I'll be consigning it because my margins are higher. Plus potential buyers will actually be able to try it on.

They don't have short/regular/long suit sizes as we know them. Rather, an EU 46 is about a US 36 R. A 46 "short" is a size 23, and a 46 "long" is size 92. All correspond to a chest measurement of 92 cm, or 36.22cm. I think that link is a little confusing on the inch-size conversions, but the conversion diverges a bit at the extremes. At least that is my vague understanding. If you were selling it online presumably you would list it as a 40-42 long and then list the actual measurements.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

^^^

They don't have short/regular/long suit sizes as we know them. Rather, an EU 46 is about a US 36 R. A 46 "short" is a size 23, and a 46 "long" is size 92. All correspond to a chest measurement of 92 cm, or 36.22cm. I think that link is a little confusing on the inch-size conversions, but the conversion diverges a bit at the extremes. At least that is my vague understanding. If you were selling it online presumably you would list it as a 40-42 long and then list the actual measurements.

This is true. You won't find a S, R or L. Here, if you happen to be taller than the average man, you start looking at 96s, 98s, etc. It honestly is confusing as I've never needed any of these. :)

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do some buyers leave a note requesting that you send them a message with tracking information once you ship the package? It's automatically uploaded to ebay anyways.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do some buyers leave a note requesting that you send them a message with tracking information once you ship the package? It's automatically uploaded to ebay anyways.
Some sellers use third party shipping tools other than ebay, so the tracking would not be automatically updated in that case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads