Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Calder

Calder Senior member

He's trying to evade paying customs duty or value-added tax (or whatever they call the equivalent in Russia).

That's actually illegal in any jurisdiction. Don't do it.

2. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

Thanks, I will definitely go for 1st class registered through USPC if I do decide to proceed.. Before I message the guy back with a shipping estimate I may try to probe around a little longer to see if I have any biters within the states, as this would obviously make things less complicated.

Yeah, I thought that was a little questionable, but the sweater is a size 46 italian, which leads me to believe (since not many grown men are this thin) that he's just a kid who is spending all of his paycheck from waiting tables on a sweater that he will buy and then probably never find the occasion to wear..

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Well you still have the problem of him being registered in London. If you only take one piece of advice from all this, do as Brian said and ONLY ship to the address listed on the paypal transaction. Just don't let $400 cloud your better judgement. Do a little more probing as you said and make a decision from there.

4. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

Quote:
    I definitely wouldn't lie to customs (I assumed it was illegal but wasn't sure, and wouldn't have done it anyway).. The guy sounds genuine through email, but after these few posts I won't go through with it.. too many sketchy variables, and the customs tax is just wrong as stated^.. Thanks for the info from everyone who put in their two cents!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

5. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 Very good advice. I have had mixed results to Russia / Eastern Europe, but I have never had an issue using USPS Express. Something to keep in mind that with USPS Express there is insurance automatically included at no additional charge. Not sure if there is a cap amount, you can check with USPS.
    +1 I keep a minimal balance in my PayPal account.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think its $100.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Lightly / gently folded in half, and half again, wrapped in white tissue paper & taped so as not so bonk about; inside a small Priority Mail box (well, for my last two Ferragamo's...if it's BB or other under $20 I just use a padded mailer).

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

This is the exact same tag that's on my made in Italy Boss Golf pants. Cluttered and can't tell size easily...

10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^^^
    I checked out HansderHund's link on the previous page. (Thanks HH).
    Informative but not really illuminating. I had trouble understanding how the same number can mean different things, depending on only the body type. Maybe I'm missing some vital cross reference number on the tag.

At any rate, I'll be consigning it because my margins are higher. Plus potential buyers will actually be able to try it on.

11. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

They don't have short/regular/long suit sizes as we know them. Rather, an EU 46 is about a US 36 R. A 46 "short" is a size 23, and a 46 "long" is size 92. All correspond to a chest measurement of 92 cm, or 36.22cm. I think that link is a little confusing on the inch-size conversions, but the conversion diverges a bit at the extremes. At least that is my vague understanding. If you were selling it online presumably you would list it as a 40-42 long and then list the actual measurements.

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

This is true. You won't find a S, R or L. Here, if you happen to be taller than the average man, you start looking at 96s, 98s, etc. It honestly is confusing as I've never needed any of these. :)

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Why do some buyers leave a note requesting that you send them a message with tracking information once you ship the package? It's automatically uploaded to ebay anyways.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Some sellers use third party shipping tools other than ebay, so the tracking would not be automatically updated in that case.

15. concealed

concealed Senior member

I have it and very much like it. 1% cash back at the end of the month on all credit card transactions.