1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I had a guy open a case against me because the shoes didn't fit. They're UK sizing and I used an approximate EU size (required by ebay). The listing clearly indicated that they're UK sized, pictures were shown of the size and exact measurements of length/width of the insole were provided.

Anyway, he said they were not as described and wanted a refund. In the name of customer service, I said that's no problem, just ship them to me and I'll issue you a refund of the original cost (they had free shipping).

He just got back to me and said a few things...

1. That it was my fault that they were "not as described"
    2. Since he was required to pay before they were shipped, he won't return them until he receives the money
    3. I should be on the hook for return shipping

Well, clearly I disagree with everything he says. However, to simplify matters, I'm just going to go with it. I'll refund his money and pay for return shipping (from Germany, no less). The sticking point is that he is insistant that I return his money first even though I stated that it's ebay policy to return the shoes first. In all honesty, I trust that he'll send them, but I still want to follow protocol.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. If I insist that he send the shoes before a refund is issued, I have the strong feeling he'll leave negative feedback. I feel like I have a chance to save this thing if I go by his word.

Any advice?

I know I should insist that he ship the shoes, but I'm torn.

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Is it possible to do two partial refunds? Refund him the shipping charge, or even half the total, before he ships, and the rest after you get them back.

1 person likes this.
  4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Is a negative feedback worth more to you than the price of the shoes? When's the last time amazon or whatever other retailer refunded someone for a return before receiving the item?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Heck no! Item not returned yet = money not refunded yet...period!

6. HansderHund

Both great comments.

Orgetorix: I like that idea, maybe that would satisfy him that he's going to get his money?

VLSI: I kept repeating that to myself when I read his response that he was firm on not sending them back. I'm the seller ("retailer"), he's the buyer. That's how it works. I am fairly convinced he'll go through with sending them (simply based on his eloquence/job title), but I'm afraid something bizarre would happen. Something like they're lost in transit, then I'm reliant on him to claim the insurance and pay me.

Negative feedback shouldn't be this big of a concern, in my opinion. However, I don't have a large number of feedbacks (in ebay terms) and a negative would hurt. I got my first from someone a few months ago that simply wrote "never delivered the item." When in fact I had tracking that showed otherwise and they never responded to follow-up messages.

It's just a pain in the ass...thank you for your comments/suggestions!

EDIT: Thanks Wes! Missed your comment while I was typing!

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. HansderHund

Quick update...

I called ebay and they said that we're right and he's wrong. The woman said that it's fairly clear that he didn't read the description and that I should not, under any circumstances, return his money without receiving the shoes. She told me to write that I spoke with customer service and that they said he must return the shoes before any money can/will be returned and that if he needed clarification he can call customer service himself.

I'm writing that I'm offering original purchase price + return shipping under the condition that he return the shoes first.

I assume he won't like that, so we'll see what he has to say.

8. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

It's interesting that his argument is based on the assumption that you should trust that he'll follow through on his promise to ship but he doesn't extend the same courtesy to you about refunding him the money.

FAIL!

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  9. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

If it wasnt your fault (really) then you shoudnt even offer return shipping IMO, you should actually be charging them a restocking fee.

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

How long after I open a case to cancel a transaction do I have to wait before I can cancel the transaction without the "buyer" approving it? It's been a week since I requested an international buyer on a US-Only sale cancel the transaction. He has neither canceled it nor contacted me at all. I really want to relist the item, as it's a relatively hot item and will sell.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's either a week or ten days, I always forget. You won't be able to close it until after that exact minute has passed.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You're pretty safe to relist early to be honest since you don't ship to his country anyways and I don't think there's a scenario where ebay would force you to complete the transaction with him given that.

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

FYI, Home Depot has halogen tripod stand worklights on sale for under $20 apiece with free in-store pickup. Mount an inexpensive umbrella or bounce the light off a wall, and they should work well for taking Ebay photos indoors.

I know we had some previous discussions about halogen not being the most ideal choice, color-temperature-wise, but for amateurs like me they should do fine.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1000...D=e7c8hMRtEeK7qobrTeAH1w0_uSYZ3_0_0_0&cj=true

[​IMG]

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I have halogen work lights for other purposes (as work lights!) but have used them in a pinch for ebay. They run VERY hot though, in a small space in the summer you wouldn't be able to photograph for long.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

FYI, Home Depot has halogen tripod stand worklights on sale for under $20 apiece with free in-store pickup.
    Mount an inexpensive umbrella or bounce the light off a wall, and they should work well for taking Ebay photos indoors.

I know we had some previous discussions about halogen not being the most ideal choice, color-temperature-wise, but for amateurs like me they should do fine.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1000...D=e7c8hMRtEeK7qobrTeAH1w0_uSYZ3_0_0_0&cj=true

[​IMG][/quot
    e]

That's a fantastic deal. I bought mine at Harbor Freight Tools and paid much more.

BUT:

I will warn you I've been sorely disappointed. Even my new Canon Rebel DSLR has trouble getting the whitebalance right under those lights. They add nothing to shots taken with flash -- the flash washes everything out to the same extent with or without them -- and they are insufficient to take shots with the flash turned off. I suppose I could try messing with the i settings and stuff, but as Org said, I'm just an amateur. So I'm still shooting under natural light in a 4 hour window on sunny mornings. :fu:

SEPARATE QUESTION:
    I have a solid offer on these trou:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9&ssPageName=ADME:L:BOWO:US:1123#ht_954wt_924
    (full disclosure: Bought or traded from a guy here and rocked them until I finally realized they just don't fit me well (too tight at waist and too baggy in legs))

However, it seems like the guy hoovers up Kiton stuff, then spits it back out on the bay. Now, maybe he genuinely wants the trou. Or maybe he thinks he can double his money -- which, frankly, I don't begrudge, because I'd be doing A-OK at his offer price. But something seems funny. It's not like he leaves negative feedback or anything, but something just seems off. What do folks think the odds are that this guy is going to try to screw me and demand a partial refund or something crazy?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ I wouldnt worry but thats a great name for a flipper :lol:

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Especially given that I sell primarily MC. I was pretty proud of it when I thought of it.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Oh thats YOU? :lol: I thought it was the guy who bought it from you and was reselling it. LOL, thats a good one. Well done.

19. HansderHund

A big thanks again to all of the seasoned sellers that contribute to this thread. You guys are an invaluable resource.

I always like when people follow-up on situations, so I'll give a quick update.

We're still in the "negotiating" phase...not sure what it's really called. He opened the case but it hasn't gone to customer service yet. Anyway, I submitted a message to him saying that I'm still willing to give him a full refund + return shipping, but he must ship them to me first. I also said that came straight from ebay's customer service and he can contact them should he need further clarification. He hasn't responded to it, so we'll see.

Brian, I do feel as though I'm in the right, but I wasn't sure if I would win a case. The point of contention is the listed size. I have to use an EU size in the drop down menu in a listing even if there isn't an EU size. The shoes only had a UK size, so I compared them to two other pairs I was listing at the time that were the same listed size but also had an EU size. In the listing, I clearly stated that the sizing was UK, but as always added to check the measurements. I provided insole length and width.

I was surprised that the customer service woman told me that I was correct in this case. She read the listing and our messages and said that it's clear that the description says they're UK and that the measurements were given. She even said that it was clear that he hadn't really read the listing as he referred to US sizing in one of his messages to me.

The offer or paying for return shipping was simply out of goodwill/customer service. I thought it would end the debate, he'd see that he was at least partially wrong and that we'd move on and it would leave him with a positive impression. Doesn't seem to be the case as he's still firm that he's correct and I'm 100% wrong.

I think it's true what the ebay customer service woman said...you certainly can't please all buyers and there will, from time to time, be one that won't be happy with you no matter what. :confused:

All in all, it's not a lot of money we're talking about here and it happens. It will likely happen again. It's just frustrating, as everyone here surely knows, to take the time to try to do everything right: from measurements to pictures and descriptions to post-sale communication, and then still worry about the consequences of a single negative feedback (loss of top rating, discounts on fees, etc.).

20. HansderHund

[​IMG][/quot
    e]

I have a similar light, though it only has a single lamp/bulb. I've had the same trouble as GMMcL. I'm an amateur, so it's likely a user error, but I can't seem to get the lighting right. When I use the lamp with a flash, everything is washed out/overexposed. When I use the lamp without the flash, everything is yellow.

Daylight is my friend and my photos still leave much to be desired.