1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

You cold blooded, bro.

1 person likes this.
  2. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Picture from the inside of a pair of Crockett & Jones cap-toe bals. Is this US sized? or UK? (I really should know this.)

[​IMG]

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

4. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

Found a Magnum PI "Paradise Found" parrot shirt this morning. Looks like they get good money...especially in larger sizes.

Only thing is, I can't find the size tag anywhere in it. I think it may have been removed. It has the Paradise Found brand tag on it - but no size tag.

It looks to be a XXL.

What is the best practice again for listing something with no size tag? Obviously, I'll list exact measurements, but should I include XXL in the title or not? I feel, without some kind of XXL or size indicator in the title, nobody will look at it.

I know I wouldn't.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I normally put "Fits XXL" in the title and put untagged in the item specifics.

1 person likes this.
  6. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Look in the middle of the footbed. Usually C&J have sizing info there with the width represented as a fraction x/5. If it's US sized, D is regular width (5/5), if UK sized, it'll be narrow width (4/5).

Edit: it won't be a fraction, but just a number (5 being regular width). See pic below of a UK sized 12 D C&J. Bought this in B&S. Seller wasn't sure if the shoes were US or UK sized, but I took a gamble (and lost).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    4 people like this.
  7. Principle

Principle Senior member

But that's an empirical measurement, how faded jeans are is difficult to communicate especially if you're not the original owner.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

9. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

For items without size tags, I've taken to putting that info right at the top of the "condition" info, because that seems to actually be prominently visible on the preview and listing. "BESPOKE GARMENT WITH NO SIZE TAG--LISTED SIZE IS APPROXIMATE", or something like that.

10. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

Received the returned item today.

I re-measured the pants waist. And it is exactly as I described. I uploaded the picture, and then called ebay again. eBay ruled in my favor right away. I got refund for my return shipping, and was able to keep my original shipping & 10% restocking fee. :) The best part is they removed my neg feedback. Breston (sp ?) from ebay customer M2M dept is great! :slayer:

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's been a fun week. I've now listed 200 items, yet still have another hundred or so waiting. I've even got 20 items with me heading for the Post Office. The best part is that my credit card is fully paid off, so it all at least feels like profit now.

2 people like this.
  12. drlivingston

That's awesome! Good reps make the difference. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Congrats. I really didnt think you would be able to do that.

14. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

Thanks guys!

When this douche sent me the 1st message saying my measurements were off, I was pretty positive that he was lying. I am a small timer seller. I only sell a couple dozen items at a time. So I always do my measurements very carefully (always double or triple check my measurements). And I knew a brand new 54 (eu) Borrelli suit typically couldn't have pants waist of 36" (as he claimed).

I looked his feedback left for other buyers...It looks like he has a tendency to abuse the system:

[​IMG]

My guess is that he has done the same thing quite a few times in the past...and that helps to get my neg removed.

15. drlivingston

Pro Tip: NEVER stop doing that. Whether you are a "small time" seller or a $1M+ per year seller, always verify and re-verify measurements. They are a crucial aspect of any clothing listing.

4 people like this.
  16. yanger87

yanger87 Senior member

I shipped a tie to Australia recently and the tracking shows a return to sender due to incorrect address. I reconfirmed the address with the buyer, and he confirmed it was accurate, so I'm not sure what the issue is. He wants me to resend the tie once I get it back, but I told him he's on the hook for shipping again and he refused. I think I'm going to just refund when I get the tie back, but I'd like to withhold the shipping cost.

Is this the best path to choose? While I do feel bad for the buyer and I've sold several things to Australia in the past with no issues, it seems like he made the mistake even if it was unknowingly. For what it's worth the shipping cost was $13.50.

17. drlivingston

Upon receiving the tie, simply refund his money minus shipping expenses and cancel the transaction. Just select the reason as being problems with the address. He can't do anything to you. You upheld your end of the transaction to the best of your ability.

1 person likes this.
  18. yanger87

yanger87 Senior member

Cool, just wanted to make sure this was proper protocol. Thanks!

19. drlivingston

When I have to go this route, I always call eBay and make them aware of the situation.

2 people like this.
  20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Yearly goal 5,000 items in stock! On my way. [​IMG]

7 people like this.