1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

LMAO bonus 11th pocket.

Ugh. It's actually on the elbow. I wonder how elbow patches would look but at the same time I just feel upset

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Not showing damage like that is clearly next-level douchebaggery...

Edit to add (now that I'm on my laptop and can actually type!):

Things with any sort of damage; whether holes, scuffing, stains, missing parts, or whatever should never be listed as like new, and even listing as "excellent condition" could be pushing your luck and asking for a SNAD case.

I recently listed an item that I know is missing at least one item that would come with the package. The TRX suspension traniner I posted about last week was complete except for the storage bag and DVD instructional video that would come with it new (and of course the box). The listings specifically states that only what is pictured is included. Of course, the first question I get is "Does this come with the DVD?".

:brick:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. double00

double00 Senior member

honestly if it's a matter of mojo then get yours. guns a-blazin.

fwiw i have no problem with your attitude in all of this and if it bothers you that much imo you don't need to find consensus here (you certainly don't need my approval anyway). the zegna is a POS, as for the burb at best it's seller laziness. i'm not sure that i would've bought without more disclosure but i can also understand the disappointment after the fact. $.02.

4. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Senior member

I think if you buy an item off a zero feedback seller with one photo you're getting what you get.

1 person likes this.
  6. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Quote:Well apparently feedback doesn't matter. That Zegna jacket comes from a seller with 3000+ and perfect rating lol.

As for the Burberry, the seller replied and said that's how he bought it from Burberry. I've already decided I'll keep the jacket but I've asked the seller which store so I can ask if that's how it was sold and maybe look into purchasing a liner / hood. Anyways I'll let you know how it goes

Also wanted to say big thanks to everyone for the help today. Love the community here
    Here's a picture of me in the coat. Not bad and certainly not worth losing sleep over. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Today I bought some apparently NOS, made in USA Jack Purcell shoes, with tags, as well as some signs of aging. I think they're reissues, def not vintage because there's a URL on the tag. They seem to sell for crazy money, but I'm slightly concerned that the UPC on the "Authentic Converse Product" label doesn't show up in any database.
    Does anyone know about UPCs? Could this mean that the code is fake, or just that it's no longer in use?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Senior member

That's not a standard UPC code, it would be formatted like this :
    [​IMG]

Appears that it's a serial number or other type of verification by the manufacturer. Perhaps there's a lookup on the converse site?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

x-post over from the LuxeSwap thread, any of you guys experienced this before? its weird.

10. jamesmkeart

If I go through someone with a real big inventory like linda, I find stuff by just going through every item that doesn't show up in a filter, even though it seems to have the characteristics I filtered for. It's annoying but I'll usually just sift through every listing.

11. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

I never search by size for the very reason that I don't trust the eBay filter. Filtering by category or brand name is about as far down as I whittle it.

12. double00

double00 Senior member

those had those UPCs in the 90s. sniff around google you'll see what i mean (search 'bar code', not UPC)

are the soles 'pringled"? that rubber shrinks over time. that's vintage.

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Well Linda is a special case, I go through her stuff because she leaves a lot out. For instance I now own a pair of barely used suede chukkas from AE which were listed as 10.5 but when I looked at the pictures were actually my size of 10.5EEE. The fact that she accepted $35 w/ free shipping was just a bonus.

14. jamesmkeart

Yeah I know she screws up but I find listings that were labeled correctly enough to show up in my search don't some times.

15. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

Weird, weird, weird.

Had a vintage mountain bike listed for months, weekly open auction, start price $699. Tons of watchers. Never a bid. Re-listed BIN/BO at $850 and got a $750 BO within hours. WTF?

Shout out to @GMMcL, who, in a prior PM, was likely right on the money when he suggested that the psychology of buying places emphasis on buyer choice/control, so high-start-price auction listings involve an "enforced minimum" that buyers resent, while both low-start-price listings and BIN/BO make the decision about price-setting lie with the buyer, not the seller.

After 19 years on the 'Bay, a new lesson learned today . . .

4 people like this.
  16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  17. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I don't use ebay filters for that exact same reason. Even better clothing websites I'll notice some things slip through the filters. With ebay, it's a matter of not using their pull-down menu when listing they're just not going to get your stuff in a filter. You would think they would have numerical sizing for coats and jackets though, it's not that uncommon. Interestingly, I searched "dress pants" and the filter included both alpha and numerical sizing.
    [​IMG]
    In the men's clothing > coats & jackets, you're SOL

[​IMG]

18. Tyrone MacStiophain

Thank you! I did find one pair of kid's converse from the 90s with the same barcode. Were they putting their website on their hang tags in the 90s?
    Not sure what pringled means. Here are a couple more pics of the soles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Tyrone MacStiophain

Also, researching vintage shoes on Japanese sites becomes tragical with google translate.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Hi Guys, I've got a question about a 2Pc Brioni Cash Suit with a number of tiny holes. Any thoughts on what I should start BIN at for this guy? Or do you think just send it to auction and let the market decide? I generally like to avoid that for suits as the sizing can often hard to match to multiple buyers looking at one time..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]