1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

That's a nice jacket. If it helps, I can give you the contact info for the regional manager for Burberry Canada. He might be able to check if they can get a hood/liner.

2. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Senior member

Everything that is not missing is in excellent condition :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Sure, it can't hurt to reach out to him. I looked for like an hour and can't find an exact match for the jacket online so to be honest I don't even know what it should look like. There's a few that are close. A Twitter rep helped me get a replacement button for my other jacket once so the company stands by their products which is nice but was told by the CS rep for non iconic pieces it's a crapshoot on what they can source.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone even if you don't agree with me. I'd love to hear if I'm being unreasonable here but IMO it is the sellers responsibility to list all defects and missing lining and hood is a major defect IMO especially when they describe it: Jacket looks new - no defects or stains

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Sorry, but just found out he now works for Breitling. That said, popping into their flagship might get you some answers.

5. Fallow

Fallow Member

how would you compare you ebay experience, as a seller, to that of Amazon?

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

7. ialwayslose

ialwayslose Well-Known Member

I recently started selling items on eBay, and have already run into an issue with a buyer, within my first 2 sales.

I sold a NWT luxury item for approximately $500. The buyer stated that there was a stretched seam, but the photo provided (terrible cell phone photo) seemed 100% normal. I called eBay and they agreed and said I was not obligated to provide a refund, full or partial. The seller requested tailoring fees beyond what was appropriate for this minor repair. I asked him for more photos demonstrating the defect, and he did not produce any, meanwhile threatening to contact eBay.

I ended up providing him with the partial refund he wanted, more than the partia refund I initially offered and felt was reasonable, but this cut my profits by more than 50%, not to mention the time I wasted on a person who seems to be quite petty with regard to their behavior.

I am wondering:

1) how often does this kind of crap happen? It is incredibly discouraging.

2) if I had listened to eBay, and had refused to provide any refund, would I be immune to any negative feedback?

3) if this individual leaves negative feedback, despite having his petulant demands met, can I have it removed?

Thanks for your help all of you more experienced than myself

8. Spruce Moose

I asked Brian to post this. Does any one else feel that way? I wouldn't want to screw anyone which is why I came for feedback.

I'll post pictures later but it's clear as day it's missing parts IMO and if not explicitly stated, I feel it is the sellers responsibility to declare that. i mean if that's the case, as a buyer what protection do you have? It should have been declared as the shell of a jacket and not a jacket imo or listed that it was missing parts especially since it says no defects. If I sold you an iPhone that had no internal components and said well it wasn't in my one picture of my iPhone so you're SOL. That doesn't make sense to me.

I bought a Burberry jacket but only received part of a jacket is how i see it.

9. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Sold a tie to a buyer in Dubai. I usually have USPS Express as default, but this service wasn't available on ebay, so I printed a Priority Mail International label and refunded the difference to the buyer. It's been 3 weeks and the item isn't there yet. Called USPS and they tell me that any label that starts with an L is First Class, so they can't open a tracer for it, and there's no insurance associated with it. I told them that I paid for a Priority Mail label on ebay, to which they said that ebay provided you with First Class service but charged you for Priority Mail. Please take it up with them. lol.

My label starts with LK.

The tie was $23 + $30 shipping so it wouldn't be the end of the world. But jeez, this is beyond corporate greed. It's unethical.

10. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

This happened to me as a buyer in the past, so maybe I'm biased. A guy sold me a used s5 missing the water protection gasket. Looking at the phone, it would be indeterminable to know if the part was missing unless you knew it should be there. I, of course, was an informed buyer and knew the part was missing; the seller vehemently claimed the phone was whole and in the same condition as when he purchased it. After a couple heated emails, I filed an eBay SNAD claim and won.
    Regarding Brian's example, I feel that a distinction should be made between items that CAN be sold without a hood and jacket's that ARENT sold without a hood (I'm presuming your jacket falls into the latter category.) In your case, you're an informed buyer. You know what's supposed to be there, even if the seller doesn't. You said he claimed it was "like new," right? I'd hang my hat on that phrase and send an item description for a new jacket from the retailer's website if possible, to show that it's not, in fact, like new because of missing accessories. I DO totally understand the opposite view, that the seller was describing the article as best he could (giving him the benefit of the doubt), and he didn't mention the missing parts but I would expect a reasonable seller to be knowledgable about their goods. Caveat venditor, bishes!

11. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

eBay/PayPal unethical? Naaawwwww..

That sucks, though. Hopefully it'll still show up soon, and you'll only lose the amount that eBay screwed you. :-/

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Thanks. Don't agree with you on the 'screwed you' part, though. That a buyer in dubai even found a tie that I was selling is worth the fees. Ebay isn't a charity.

13. Dirt

Dirt Senior member

Spruce, it's possible the dude didn't know the stuff was missing. There are Burberry outlets all over and it's possible he's telling the truth about buying it from the store. They may have sold a coat as-is from an outlet missing these parts and a person who didn't know they were supposed to be there could have purchased it thinking they got a killer deal on a complete item. That's just one possible scenario. You guys are getting into some deep semantics with the phrasing of his listing (I know that's mostly what this thread is about but still..) Honestly, that jacket wouldn't look as good with a hood and I know it's cold in Canada but do you really want to cover up that nova check lining with some solid color insulating lining? I'd forget the hood, grab a baller cashmere sweater and stunt on everyone with your new Burberry nova check lined coat.

1 person likes this.
  14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I've had similar experiences to Brian with regards to people thinking zippers for linings automatically means the liner comes with the item.

I strongly feel that forcing a SNAD case against a seller is unethical in a case where've done their level best to accurately list an item. Could you force a return? Sure.

I think holding resellers to the same standard as an authorized dealer of new merchandise is a slippery slope that leads to no one being able to sell on EBay unless they're an authorized seller of the brands they sell.

If an item on EBay isn't represented as having something included, that doesn't mean it's not as described, it means that it's not as you expected.

I would suggest reaching out to the seller and explain why you think the hood and liner should have been included and see if he's willing to work with you. This isn't a case where a seller missed a gaping hole in a pair of suit pants, it's a case where a seller didn't know what an item should included to be considered like new. And even something missing parts could be accurately represented as like new. You would need to prove that a part was missing to prove a SNAD case like this.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Agree with most. You can buy a new Propper foul weather parka for $400. If you want a liner, they are sold separately for $100. Even though the jacket obviously accepts a liner, it's not included with the jacket by default.

Some Barbour waxed jackets accept hoods and liners, but are sometimes sold separately. i.e. the classic Beaufort - the hood and liner are optional at additional cost.

16. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

I was referring to ebay charging you priority price while giving you first class service. I agree that its cool that a dubai buyer bought a tie from you.

1 person likes this.
  17. double00

double00 Senior member

i was at TJ Maxx earlier and they had a sensational With Tags PRL hand knit serape cardigan for $89 (original tag $995). it was a belted cardigan (with loops) and there was no belt. the item wasn't marked 'damaged' or used or anything. i think 'what-you-see-is-what-you-get' is a pretty good rule of thumb with things and if what you get is in the condition seen and described then i have a hard time seeing any misrepresentation.

i'm actually wondering Spruce if you knew that there was supposed to be a hood/liner when you made the purchase? or was it that you saw the snap and zipper in hand and then wondered where the rest of it went. it would've been easier to ask about that stuff up front if it was an issue, otherwise myself if i were offering on that i would assume that was all of it.

disclaimer: i once sold (as NWT) since it was unused and had tags a wimmenz jacket that had a hood but was missing the snap-in coyote trim. i didn't 'disclose' the missing piece i simply showed what i was selling. buyer made a solid offer, i countered and she accepted. then she asked me about the liner and i said nope and she said fine. got great FB.

2 people like this.
  18. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Ah ok. Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, that was ebay definitely screwing me over. Called them, they said give it more time, ask the buyer to contact his own post office. If nothing else changes in 7-10 days, give us a call back. I doubt they'll be refunding me, but I'll give it a shot.

19. Spruce Moose

Come home to find my ethrift in excellent condition.

[​IMG]

Lmao what can you do besides laugh. You guys CANNOT defend this one.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252766589340?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And here's pictures of the jacket. If these were included in the ad then I would agree I would have no basis to be upset but I'm not a psychic. I think it is purposefully dishonest to describe something as new if it is missing parts and then not to picture it. It's not like I can pick it up and examine it like a store. I have to make a decision based off pictures and description. Anyways, if the consensus here is that this is my fault for not getting more information then I guess I'll cancel the SNAD but it just stinks to me that at the end of it I get screwed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

LOL ten pocket blazer!