Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

This is great idea - I only thought of it after I started using the tool. I'd even go so far as to say create a 99 cent listing and post it and then view it from your computer and/or your mobile. Even try to revise it, just to get the hang of it when there's no pressure.

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Just MHO, but shots like this, with the item surrounded by white, look ungrounded to me, like the first paintings and sketches I did when I was first learning. We were always taught to put the items onto some solid object, for balance, perspective and grounding. My pictures may not be awesome, but I like to use a plain old, matte finish Valentino suit bag as my background. I don't love the wrinkles in it, but I do think the object looks more grounded. (Random picture chosen from my Photobucket album) [​IMG] Edit: And one more... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

3. Luvwine

Luvwine Well-Known Member

Okay, I have one item for sale on EBay, it is a JM Weston pair of shoes model 423. The link is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JM-Weston-M...8290636?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f224b28cc

There is currently one bid on the shoes but the buyer is in South Korea! My ad says shipping to: United States. The buyer has positive feedback but none for the past twelve months. Think it is a scam? Should I tell the guy to fly a kite? Tell him okay, but payment in advance? Not sure how to handle and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks much.

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's a great idea! I would guess that in the next year, my listings will be entirely different in their appearance simply because I tweak something every time I view my own listings. It gives you a better overview, especially when you view it on an iPad or mobile.
    I had never considered that aspect, but it rings true. I don't like a complicated background, but something to give it balance. Mine are taken on a tabletop (sort of) platform, but I used to use a black tabletop 3+ years go. I do like your table/set up.
    Well, for starters, payments are always made in advance :) Next, decide if you'd like to ship abroad. If you don't want to, prepare to cancel the bid. If you're open to it, research shipping costs to South Korea and be prepared to revise the invoice to allow him to pay (with his address) and the correct amount. I've often asked sellers if they'll ship to me even though their listing says US only. The vast majority of the time, they agree but often forget that I can't pay them until it lets me enter my foreign address. Finally, he may be using a commercial proxy service. That means he'll pay using a US based address who will then forward his purchase to him and you would have never known he was in Korea unless you checked. I don't know of the risks, or whether there actually are any, associated with this.

5. suited

suited Senior member

There is definitely some truth to that. I think the white can work better for some objects, not so great for others. One thing I like is the conformity it gives the listings when scrolling through a seller's item list. While the grounded photos that you describe are nice when you're actually looking at them in full fize, I think the white background displays the item better when the photo is the size of an avatar, or slightly larger - which is how the listing would appear in search results.

6. HansderHund

Would the answer then be to have one with the white background for search results and the rest with some sort of backdrop? I know most people likely go by keywords in a title, a quick glance at the thumbnail and a check on the price before they click the auction. Once they're on the auction, the goal is to get them to stay with tons of photos.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Getting really tired of ebay :confused: Don't understand why people feel the need to be so hostile from first contact.

8. tben

tben Senior member

[​IMG]

9. HansderHund

Please share.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I bought some hard drives ~6-7 months ago with intent to resell but got lazy and they've been sitting around in my room. Finally got them listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111014565374

I thought the buyer may have been referring to the box because there was a giant sticker on it from the store that had all of my personal information, which I of course had to remove.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ If it makes you feel better, you can just imagine the amount of unusual questions that I get.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Personally, I get almost internally irate when people ask me questions which are clearly answered in the title, description and photos.

Number one question used to be "Do I measure from the bottom of the collar or the top? I added that to the details and it has stopped 90% of them.

New top question is "Are the pants pleated or flat front?" Really? It is clearly written in the description and there is a closeup of the pleats. Most of the titles even state it!

Number two top question "Do the shoes have rubber or leather soles?"

Why does no one read anything? Why do I bother even writing a description? Of course I answer all if them as politely as possible, all the time imagining myself reaching through their computer screen and smacking them across the face.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

13. tben

tben Senior member

How many millimeters is the prince of wales pattern? [​IMG]

14. Napaduck

Napaduck Well-Known Member

Any help on this? Sent him a message and got no response.. Starting to sell more and this brought my feedback from 100 to 93.3... Have since made my listings more professional and with more noob friendly sizing explanations.

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I believe there is a way for him to request to revise his feedback, but if he is unresponsive then you probably have very little recourse. It's extraordinarily unfortunate, especially since he did not contact you first, but I don't think there will be a lot you can do :(