1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+1. We all start at zero (or 1) on ebay.

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

And buyer feedback is meaningless anyway. A buyer can't have anything less than 100% positive feedback.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I was happy to find out this morning that I am a power seller, something really unexpected. I've never really looked into it as I thought you needed higher volume than I do.

I quickly looked at the benefits of it...discount on fees, a direct contact in customer service, etc. What I had hoped for was discounted shipping and finally saw that it's offered on some services. I use Hermes Paket Service for all packages within the EU and it said that there are special offers for Hermes, so I clicked on it....

only to find out it's for Germans only. This makes me incredibly frustrated with ebay. If I want to contact customer service, I have to call Germany at 20 cents/minute (or something like that). If I want to print shipping labels directly through ebay, I have to be a registered German. There are few services for Austrian (and I assume Swiss) buyers/sellers in our own country, even though we have ebay.at.

A further gripe is that my search results show results that won't ship to Austria...from Germany. I find something I like, but I have to contact the German seller in order to find out whether they'll ship to me or not. Most do, but the process seems a bit silly. /rant

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+1
    I too just found out this morning that I just became a power seller. Not sure what it means for me here in Canada.

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Congrats! I was actually thinking about you guys in Canada and whether you have your own system, call centers, etc. or whether you're forced to deal out of country for everything.

6. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Well, we have ebay.ca but I list on ebay.com. It's a bigger market.
    When I call the call centre for shipping concerns I have spoken to someone in the US. but when I have called about other issues I've actually spoken to some women in the Philippines.

7. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I also just hit power seller status. Did they lower the standards? Weird so many of us getting it around the same time.

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I didn't hit power status, but I was included in a 200,000 free listings promotion. The only catch is I only have from 4/20 to 4/29 to use it. Did anyone else get that note?

9. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Do me a favor please! Rotate your photo's at least! I betcha that will get you more views too. :cheers:

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Power seller as well... Somewhere between 153 and 155 feedback? Seems low...

11. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

I think eBay reviews all their accounts on the 20th, that's why everyone is getting status upgrades at the same time.

12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I only have 95. Must have something o on with volume of sales too. My impression is that only about half my buyers leave feedback so the number of feedback underrepresents the numbers of sales.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I did as well...not that I'll get anywhere near that mark but its nice perk to use haha.

14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I think it's 100 sales, and $3000 dollars in the past 12 months, reviewed once a month...everything else is pretty basic, as long as you don't screw buyers, its nothing hard.

15. txwoodworker

It just did occur to me, I could relist all my auctions as 1 day and just reup them all every night. That way I have auctions ending every day which is when you get the most traffic. Oddly though, if hundreds or thousands of sellers got this 200,000 listing thing, they would be doing the same. Anarchy on eBay.

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Hah oddly enough I suppose you could IF you had the time and patience...its a hassle in my book to realist even though its so easy really. But in all honesty, I have best luck with my 7 day auctions ending every sunday night. I have thought about upping it to the 10 days like many sellers on here do, but I just don't have the time to start auctions twice a week (thursday / sunday rotation). Plus I find that I can use my 50 free monthly listings with 7 day auctions free of listing charge...saves i think close to .50 per listing if I just do it that way versus the 10 day.

Just Looked at my eBay seller dashboard, I seem to meet all requirements except the 3k and 100 transactions. I think Ill get there in about another 6 weeks or so. I need about 50 more transactions, and only 800$. Curious to see what that does for me!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  17. stevent

stevent Senior member

Tips to deal with eBay in terms of search browse manipulation? I listed product name by the actual product name, eBay keeps telling me I don't need to list or include anywhere in listing my product name. Calls seem to just go to we will email you decision

18. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I got this, and I've probably sold a total of ten items in the past year.

19. txwoodworker

If you have an ebay store, there are automation rules that will automatically relist your items once or infinitely. Do it from your store manager page > assign automa > choose your rule.

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member