• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not sure about the Garage Sale app (I assume you're referring to a smartphone app?), but I use the desktop version. I have my image size set to the maximum and I use their hosting services which you can purchase through the Garage Sale program. The problem you're describing with your images might be a template issue, it's hard to say. You could try rearranging the positioning of the photos and see if that fixes it. You'll probably want to modify their templates so it includes a neat place to list measurements and other add-ons you might like.

I'm using the desktop version purchased through the app store. I'm simply taking photos from iPhoto and dropping them into the listing template. I've recently encountered the problem where they no longer drag and drop. Instead, I have to go through the option of adding an iPhoto image through the menu. Not sure what happened with that.

I'm sure the template is the problem. I would imagine the dimensions are set to be too wide and then my photos on the right don't appear unless you scroll over to them. I'll have a look at what is up with the setup and maybe figure it out from there.

That's a good idea to have some sort of chart in the listing. I know most people do that, but I've never gone about doing it. I am listing more and more each month, so some of my previous methods are proving to be tedious when dealing with a larger number of listings. I'm certainly not doing hundreds of listings a month or anything, but I'm doing about twice as many as last autumn.

I also sometimes like when listings have a diagram of how they take their measurements. It makes it a bit clear to see how they come up with their numbers. I doubt I'll do that as I usually try to explain what I mean by "shoulders" or "arm length."

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
idk why shipping international is that big a deal, it really isnt. If you do it right there is less risk then shipping domestic IMO. That said, I looked into the global shipping program and it sucks. The cost to ship items is going to be sooo high that it's never going to be worth it.

Brian, are you sure? I have sold a couple items through it. I get paid domestic shipping and just send it to a location in Kentucky. At that point my commitment is complete, and eBay bears the responsibility and collects the import/shipping charge from the customer.

Hans,

I am having the same "drag and drop" issue since upgrading to mountain lion, i use the media tab next to the inspector thing near the top. works a lot faster, but still preferred drag and drop.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brian, are you sure? I have sold a couple items through it. I get paid domestic shipping and just send it to a location in Kentucky. At that point my commitment is complete, and eBay bears the responsibility and collects the import/shipping charge from the customer.
I have recently had 3 different Canadian buyers tell me they will only shop from sellers who do NOT use the Global system, and have thanked me for not using it. Not really sure why, but I suppose things are getting messed up somewhere along the line. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if ebay/paypal are making some sort of extra profit on it. I am going to opt out as long as I can.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: I looked into it when I got the email a few months ago and the cost of shipping quoted by ebay was 2-3x higher then what I would normally charge someone to ship international. I guess there is no downside if you don't currently ship international as maybe someone who really wants the item will buy it irregardless of the shipping cost.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked into it when I got the email a few months ago and the cost of shipping quoted by ebay was 2-3x higher then what I would normally charge someone to ship international. I guess there is no downside if you don't currently ship international as maybe someone who really wants the item will buy it irregardless of the shipping cost.

well, i only offered express international in the past (and still do) but if buyers would like to use the global shipping program then thats fine with me.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am having the same "drag and drop" issue since upgrading to mountain lion, i use the media tab next to the inspector thing near the top.  works a lot faster, but still preferred drag and drop.

You dont have to actually "drag", FYI. Hit Media, then if you just doubleclick on your thumbnails that pop up in the window, they are sorted in that order.

mjt73106

Reaction score
I looked into it when I got the email a few months ago and the cost of shipping quoted by ebay was 2-3x higher then what I would normally charge someone to ship international. I guess there is no downside if you don't currently ship international as maybe someone who really wants the item will buy it irregardless of the shipping cost.
+1 - When I looked at the eBay global shipping program there were some strange shipping amounts that seemed not to help the seller. It may have changed from when I looked at it. I will review it again.

BTW, I recently opened a DHL account and the rates seem pretty reasonable to Europe and to South America.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You dont have to actually "drag", FYI. Hit Media, then if you just doubleclick on your thumbnails that pop up in the window, they are sorted in that order.

oh yeah, i used to drag from the various folders where the pictures were sorted. using the media tab is no big deal, just a change.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Narrowly avoided a noob mistake last night.

I put together my first big (-ish; 25) batch of Ebay auctions and set them to go live at 8pm last night. Logged on at 9:30 to verify they were up and...they weren't. I'd gotten the 3-hour time difference, between my house (EST) and Ebay's PST, backwards, and they were all going to start at 2AM EST this morning! :embar:

Thank God for the iPhone app. It was actually easier to reschedule them for a 10 PM EST start time via the app than it would have been on my computer at home.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Narrowly avoided a noob mistake last night.

I put together my first big (-ish; 25) batch of Ebay auctions and set them to go live at 8pm last night. Logged on at 9:30 to verify they were up and...they weren't. I'd gotten the 3-hour time difference, between my house (EST) and Ebay's PST, backwards, and they were all going to start at 2AM EST this morning! :embar:

Thank God for the iPhone app. It was actually easier to reschedule them for a 10 PM EST start time via the app than it would have been on my computer at home.

I found rescheduling to be really easy. Click the box at the top of the column and push them off a week in batch. Speaking of which, I have to push off a few hatchlings that aren't quite ready for primetime.

Anywho, this garagesale discussion almost has me wanting to go buy a mac.

Almost.

(Or just rant at hipster programmers who are too good for customers who don't like Apple. :hide: )

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the main selling points of the GarageSale app are not having to spend a lot of time on the eBay website (I've always preferred the iPhone app for buying, and now I have a preferred app for selling) and the iPhoto integration. The free auction scheduling and offline auction building are great too—though I wish you didn't have to keep the app open for scheduled auctions to start.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I did calculated shipping, even bumped the weight into the next bracket so it would cover the fees. Shipping ended up costing more than their calculated amount. What the **** ebay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads