Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'm using the desktop version purchased through the app store. I'm simply taking photos from iPhoto and dropping them into the listing template. I've recently encountered the problem where they no longer drag and drop. Instead, I have to go through the option of adding an iPhoto image through the menu. Not sure what happened with that.

I'm sure the template is the problem. I would imagine the dimensions are set to be too wide and then my photos on the right don't appear unless you scroll over to them. I'll have a look at what is up with the setup and maybe figure it out from there.

That's a good idea to have some sort of chart in the listing. I know most people do that, but I've never gone about doing it. I am listing more and more each month, so some of my previous methods are proving to be tedious when dealing with a larger number of listings. I'm certainly not doing hundreds of listings a month or anything, but I'm doing about twice as many as last autumn.

I also sometimes like when listings have a diagram of how they take their measurements. It makes it a bit clear to see how they come up with their numbers. I doubt I'll do that as I usually try to explain what I mean by "shoulders" or "arm length."

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

Brian, are you sure? I have sold a couple items through it. I get paid domestic shipping and just send it to a location in Kentucky. At that point my commitment is complete, and eBay bears the responsibility and collects the import/shipping charge from the customer.

Hans,

I am having the same "drag and drop" issue since upgrading to mountain lion, i use the media tab next to the inspector thing near the top. works a lot faster, but still preferred drag and drop.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have recently had 3 different Canadian buyers tell me they will only shop from sellers who do NOT use the Global system, and have thanked me for not using it. Not really sure why, but I suppose things are getting messed up somewhere along the line. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if ebay/paypal are making some sort of extra profit on it. I am going to opt out as long as I can.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

well, i only offered express international in the past (and still do) but if buyers would like to use the global shipping program then thats fine with me.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You dont have to actually "drag", FYI. Hit Media, then if you just doubleclick on your thumbnails that pop up in the window, they are sorted in that order.

7. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 - When I looked at the eBay global shipping program there were some strange shipping amounts that seemed not to help the seller. It may have changed from when I looked at it. I will review it again.

BTW, I recently opened a DHL account and the rates seem pretty reasonable to Europe and to South America.

8. concealed

concealed Senior member

oh yeah, i used to drag from the various folders where the pictures were sorted. using the media tab is no big deal, just a change.

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Narrowly avoided a noob mistake last night.

I put together my first big (-ish; 25) batch of Ebay auctions and set them to go live at 8pm last night. Logged on at 9:30 to verify they were up and...they weren't. I'd gotten the 3-hour time difference, between my house (EST) and Ebay's PST, backwards, and they were all going to start at 2AM EST this morning! :embar:

Thank God for the iPhone app. It was actually easier to reschedule them for a 10 PM EST start time via the app than it would have been on my computer at home.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I found rescheduling to be really easy. Click the box at the top of the column and push them off a week in batch. Speaking of which, I have to push off a few hatchlings that aren't quite ready for primetime.

Anywho, this garagesale discussion almost has me wanting to go buy a mac.

Almost.

(Or just rant at hipster programmers who are too good for customers who don't like Apple. :hide: )

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

+1!!

12. tben

tben Senior member

^^Thanks to all who answered above, specifically Hans. Very informative.

13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

For me the main selling points of the GarageSale app are not having to spend a lot of time on the eBay website (I've always preferred the iPhone app for buying, and now I have a preferred app for selling) and the iPhoto integration. The free auction scheduling and offline auction building are great too—though I wish you didn't have to keep the app open for scheduled auctions to start.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

So I did calculated shipping, even bumped the weight into the next bracket so it would cover the fees. Shipping ended up costing more than their calculated amount. What the fuck ebay?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Was it a large package?