1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

While certainly no one is going to actually search for "AMAZEBALLS Harris Tweed", if you have space in your title to add it or any of the others mentioned, it is a cheaper alternative to a listing bold, border or highlight option. Basically just used as an eye catcher. Like you, I believe RARE should be rarely used. Using it once, myself, right now.

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I too have fallen into that trap occasionally (even in present auctions). However I'm usually consistent in using caps for brand names, just so they stick out in the a bit (hopefully) from other listings.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I take full credit for that. Why? I dont know. But, if it aint broke, Im not fixing it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

How do I go about dealing with a buyer that is a non payer. He purchased a NWOT suit from me Sunday 3-31, and this morning, 4-6 he messages me and says "Cancel the transaction, this was going to be a gift for my dad, but the inseam on the pants is not going to work"

From my best recollection, isn't purchasing as a gift for someone else on eBay and trying to return the item due to measurements not the sellers issue? Isn't that against eBay policy?
    How is the best way to go about it. I obviously haven't received payment, so do I open a non payment case against him and leave negative feedback?

5. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Well you can't leave negative feedback, so just open a case, which the buyer will lose, and then block them if you wish.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

So if I cant leave the feedback, then I shouldn't worry about him being able to as well?
    I just want to make sure what he is doing is in fact against eBay policy, and what I am doing is the best way to go about it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I read somewhere in this thread that changes were going to (or have taken) place in regards to feedback from cancelled transactions. Previous to these changes, I believe the buyer could leave feedback until the case was closed. Now, I'm not too sure what the status is and hopefully someone will jump in with more info.

I believe you have two choices in your situation. The first is to file a non-paying bidder case and wait for it to close. There will then be a strike against the buyer.

The alternative would be to cancel the transaction and then wait for the buyer to confirm it.

Either direction you take, you'll get your fees returned.

Someone can correct my info if I am mistaken!

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Since we all like to read about good transactions as much as we like to read about the bad, I thought I'd add a couple of positive experiences to the mix.

I had a guy buy a few ties for me and received this message after he received them:
    Received them this week and wore the ties out Friday and Saturday night to innumerable compliments! Really cannot thank you enough, I love the ties, the fabric is very high quality and they have exceeded my expectations for every element.

I also just sold a jacket to someone in Germany and received this message yesterday:

I wanted to personally thank you for the wonderful jacket. It was as described and I left you positive feedback!

His feedback was very nice and not the normal generic comments that people often leave.

Both of these guys were ideal customers: Fast payment, great communication and even followed up that they received the items and liked them. That's just how I like ebay to work!

It also reminds me that I should let sellers (both on ebay and in brick and mortar shops) know when they're doing something right. It really makes you feel good about it and gives you feedback on your methods.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

10. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Cool. Maybe I shouldn't write it off after all.

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

The thing I fear with this buyer is if I open a non payer case, and he happens to pay for it out if spite, he can then turn around and claim he never recieved the correct contents just to screw me over. Then eBay will make me refund the money and I'm out the suit...it's over 100$.

My other option is to let him get away with his unlawful tactics and continue on without punishment. That would involve canceling the transaction...

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You left out my favorite: STUNNING

I agree that it is insincere, even dishonest in the case of RARE. I never have enough space for that bullshit anyway. That is the curse of knowing something about what you are selling.

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I will usually cancel a transaction if a buyer requests, and then in most cases I put them on my blocked bidder list. If they don't pay and don't respond to the second invoice I open a non payer case. I feel like I owe a non payer a non payment strike.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Open the case.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

17. chiron

chiron Senior member

Hey I had google how to spell that.

18. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Guilty, your honor. :embar:

Edit: OTOH, (and not trying to :stirpot: ) but if we think it DOESN'T have any effect, why not run some auctions with "CRAPPY," "DUMPY", "OLD" and "WORN OUT." Human psychology may be stupid and irrational, but if it didn't exist, Madison Avenue would have no function. Adding a little panache and sexyness sells, IMHO. Of course, none of that can overcome the fundamentals, like crappy pictures, ugly colors or Dior Monsiuer.

MOAR EDIT: I think I did something dumb, and want some advice. I'm going on vaca next week, leaving Friday night or Saturday the 12th/13th. Not thinking, weeks ago, I schedule auctions to start last Thursday and end Sunday the 14th. Not Spoo/Cap'n volume, but several -- most of which actually have bids now. (And then, of course, there are the fixed price auctions) I'd rather not end any of the auctions. We are driving, and I've resigned myself that I'll be taking with me at least the auction items. Plus all my shipping swag. But other than not being a moron and scheduling auctions to end at the beginning of your vacation, is there a way to relieve yourself of the obligation to ship within 24 hours?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Remind me to tell you the time I listed a Chanel bag so rare I called it "UNICORN Chanel bag....yada yada" and I got a message from someone asking if it was real because they didnt know unicorn skin existed. :lol:

20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Block another eBay'er mr.tiemonster

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Purchased Suit for Father (against policy)
    Decided not to pay (against policy)
    Not worth his attitude and personal lack of professionalism
    [/FONT]