1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

When you list any item, under the "Exclude shipping locations" you can choose what countries you won't ship to. From my understanding, this should block them from bidding on your items. I have not yet had any bidders from that list bid on any of my items. I think that's how it works. Check it out and let us know.

Edited: Opps, I forgot to include under "Buyer Requirements" you can select to block buyers who
    • Don't have a PayPal account
    • Have received 2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s)
    • Have a primary shipping address in countries that I don't ship to
    • Have 4 Policy violation report(s) within 1 month(s)

This is the setting I have on my auctions.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I've stopped putting pictures in the body of my listings since the free 12 pictures and it saves me a substantial amount of time (only upload them to one place). Do you guys think this is okay or do pictures in the description still add value? It's the exact same images anyways.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's the first review I've heard of it. I'm going to look into it out of convenience. I like to keep eBay/PayPal money separate and I'm really not doing a lot of transactions (more just a hobby/extra money). The current system I have is pretty simple: transfer the money into a bank account and then withdraw cash. It allows me to keep it so that I'm only spending clothing money on clothes. :D

I could be wrong but I don't think the problem is in the countries restricted. I am registered with eBay.de, but if I search eBay.com, I can bid/buy it now on listings. The problem comes to payment. If the seller has restricted the listing to US only, then I can't check out or complete the listing. If I find something I want that says US shipping only, I'll message the seller, explain that I have history on eBay and that I'd be willing to pay the shipping costs. If they agree to sell it to me, I'll bid/buy it now. I then have to wait until the seller adds shipping to Austria to complete the transaction.

In short, it seems that foreign buyers are just finding your things on ebay.com like anyone else. Your eBay username can be logged into any international ebay site, so they can bid through ebay.com.

If you don't want to complete the Egyptian GMMcl, I'd request a cancellation. If the buyer doesn't complete it, then it should close on it's own and you'll get your fees back.

I only upload photos into eBay. If I have something I plan on selling at a higher price, I may add more in the description. However, with lower cost items I feel that the initial 12 are enough. Just my experience, though.

4. barrelntrigger

I have my auction settings to block buyers whose primary shipping address is in the countries that are in my exclusion option. I think if a person who resides in Russia wants to bid on my item, well, sorry, mate, no can't do since I have Russia checked off on my list. But then again, he can by pass my block by registering a proxy address in a country I do ship to and have someone forward the items to his Russian address.

My thoughts are some Ebayers don't have the patience to sit there and click on every single one of my pictures. I include all photos in the auction descriptions, that way they can scroll down and eye ball the pictures. It is time consuming but I think it's worth it and should pay off in the end.

5. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I've done the same thing. It just takes way too long to upload the pictures to a host then do the html coding for each listing. And no, I don't think this is too big of a deal, especially because eBay now has higher quality images. It seems like tons of sellers are making that move, and I'm guessing buyers will get more used to it in the future.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I only use pics in the description if it is something of great detail or high value that will require more than 12 pics. For example I sold a Polaroid 180 ($900) last year which had tons of accessories and features. I used all 12 free pics and then also a slide show of the rest. I use the ebay app, 123 Show for that.

7. chiron

chiron Senior member

Cancel the transaction ...

On another note I got my first request for a return... after 12 years on eBay. Any tips or hints in handling the return would be helpful...

8. barrelntrigger

Wow! 1st return in 12 years! That is some amazing track! You got lady luck in your pocket! Care to share her?

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1 that's insane. I get 1 or 2 a month. Usually someone didn't read the measurements or doesn't like the color.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I always put large pictures in the description. I personally find it annoying when people don't put the in the HTML and I have to scroll though the 12 and click each one and then use the zoom. Got a method down for listing so dont feel it really takes more then 30 second, PLUS when I post stuff to SF at the same exact time (usually) I already have them in HTML format and just click "thumbnail" vs "large" then can post them to the SF html side of the listing.

Need to provide some more info on the situation, toss up the ebay listing, problem, thoughts, etc etc. Can't really give general advice with nothing to go on. Imagine I asked you if I should I buy a candy bar... very over the top general question, no? No one knows what kind, how much, do i want the candy bar, was it a good deal, how mean is the sales person, etc etc etc

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Mind sharing your method? I was currently passing the image URLs through a script that spit out the html code so that part was easy, but I was using imgur for hosting and their image uploaded is painfully slow (not to mention there site goes down frequently in the middle of the night when I usually am making listings).

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Argh, this is why I almost never offer international shipping. After the listing ends (naturally), the buyer in Ukraine asks if I can send the item (a vest) Priority International with a tracking #...instead of via what I had in the listing, which was First Class International for $10.
    Yes, I can send Priority International, but what about the tracking #? I know there is insured, certificate of mailing, and registered, all of which have some sort of number, and cost varying amounts...but which one will track it for him (at least, until it leaves the USA)? He buys a lot of stuff from the US and has a fair amount of feedback, all positive, so I assume he knows what he's talking about in requesting Priority International with a tracking #.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

International Shipping you have TWO options and IMO only two options. Both are expensive! These are the only two that will protect you on ebay that I know of. If you dont want to have issues, look into the prices of these to options and charge accordingly. You are at risk if you dont use one of these. ONLY SHIP TO THE PAYPAL ADDRESS

1) Express Mail
    2) Registered 1st Class Mail.

I have a photobucket pro account. $15 a year is worth if for the 1000's of images I have. It's free if you dont sell a lot and has all the same features. Nice and easy, pretty fast upload, easy to set up folders and once all the pictures are in, you can highlight them all, click one button then another to copy all the HTML in large mode of thumbnail mode.

[​IMG]

14. TheNeedMachine

I personally already have a domain where I upload crap I want access to from anywhere, or to share with someone else (photos, mp3s, whatever). I pay for it, but it's already part of what I do outside of eBay, so I just create directories for the date I expect to list my next batch, upload the photos there, and edit a template I have that has the HTML and image inserts. Taking & editing etc the photos takes me the most time; once ready it's an extra 30 seconds to drag & drop to the server and 30 seconds to edit the template for the photo names / online locations. At that point, I've got my free 12 in eBay and however many I want in the item description.
    I have to renew the domain yearly, and pay for server space / bandwidth quarterly (both more or less unlimited - I'd never hit the max on either), but again it's something I've had forever and use for myriad other purposes.
    If you want free image hosting that doesn't take forever, nor put watermarks etc on your images, lots of folks already have online "cloud" backup / storage and don't even know it...I have a few GB's from Comcast for free as part of having them for internet, also get another 2 GB free from Norton as part of my anti-virus suite...and one other I don't remember. I don't use any of them - just more passwords to remember.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Sorry, no time to multiquote:

Re: my Egypt issue, I did restrict the countries shipped to. And I have those same restrictions re: no bad feedback, etc. Didn't solve the problem. Canceling transaction. Just hope he doesn't hit me with bad feedback before transaction cancels.....

Re: pics: I also put them in the body of my listing. I have word doc templates (in HTML code) that highlight all the spots I need to modify, and that have a spot for pics. I have an Excel spreadsheet that tracks size and item description, and when I post the pics to PB, I also put the HTML code for the pics for that item right in the cell next to the item description. Copy and paste that, and whammo! Listing is done. BUT: the highlight all and click button thing is new and a GAME CHANGER! Thanks, Brian! (Now, if only Ebay would let me use HTML links for the standard 12 pictures.... Hunting my hard drive for those pics is a huge pain in the a$$)

16. TheNeedMachine

Thank you for the info. I offered both options to the buyer, haven't heard back yet. This is the same guy who asked if I would make an exception and ship to Ukraine - I told him I modified the listing to allow him to bid but that the shipping would be more than domestic, and for him to check the auction for the cost & method ($10, 1st class international). If it ends up being a hassle I'll offer him the opportunity to bow out gracefully and give 2nd highest bidder a crack at it. In hindsight, I should have set up shipping that way to begin with - additional options for registered and express. Eh - that's why I don't bother with international. With 300 million Americans I figure that's a broad enough audience for most things I offer on eBay.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

18. n-domino

n-domino Senior member

Hey guys,

As an eBay seller I have a question regarding the status of payments. I recently changed my primary e-mail address with both eBay and Paypal. Afterwards, I happened to sell a couple of items. All were paid for through Paypal. However, that '$' icon - instead of being blue and denoting the transaction has been completed - is in the form of an hourglass and says the payment is being processed through Paypal.

Does this have to do with the fact that I changed my e-mail address? Approximately how long will it take for me to receive the payment in my Paypal account?

Paypal's customer service is virtually nonexistant, so I posted this here. Any answers will be much appreciated!

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Check the Paypal transaction to see if it was paid by "echeck". This means the funds came from a bank account, instead of credit card or Paypal balance, and will tke a few days to post. It shouldn't be affected by your change of email address. Paypal is fairly easy to get by phone.

20. n-domino

n-domino Senior member

Hmmmm. To the right of all those icons is a link that says "View Paypal Transaction." When I click on it it directs me to paypal where it says, "The transaction id in your link is invalid."

I cannot find where to see if it was paid by echeck.

Edit: Nevermind, I was able to fix the issue.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012