Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

eBay watchers are strange. I had a very rare expensive collectible item listed below market value (in my eyes). 30 day BINOBO and 13 watchers up until the very last second. Not a single offer submitted, and this isn't an item that people could be wafting about. If they typed it into the search, they were a collector.

I relisted only a little bit cheaper and within 5 minutes I had 5 watchers again. Still no offers.

2. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I know a lot of times I'll watch rare items to try and gauge interest/prospective selling prices when there isn't much to go off of in terms of completed listings data.

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Watching of BIN/OBO auctions usually implies one of four things:

1. A desirable item is too expensive and thus placed on watch list on off chance that the price will reduce by X % further down the road.

2. Buyer likes item but not enough to make an immediate impulse offer or purchase. Buyer places on watch and uses watch list to filter out items he/she wishes to purchase. Kinda like a shopping list with essential items mixed with non essentials.

3. Buyer places item on watch with the mindset "I will purchase this one day if it does not sell and I have the money to do so".

4. Buyer brand whoring, in his mind he wants something from one of the big brands. That item you listed works for him but he will hang around until something better comes along.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

4. chiron

chiron Senior member

They are other sellers... watching what your item sells for.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

WTF is this meme, Spoo??

7. chiron

chiron Senior member

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I leave feedback once the buyer does. We seem to be at an impasse :nest: Lazy buyers not leaving me feedback annoys me, so I won't give them any either.

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

You're right about that. I didn't know exactly what it was called, but now that you mentioned it I read up on the concept in some interesting articles. I will keep track of views and if it seems to be much lower than I would have anticipated, I start checking the titles to make sure there wasn't an error. I'll also do a quick completed search and see how many views previous auctions had. If they had considerably more (in proportion to the time remaining on my auction), I'll start adding other key words to my title.

I can say that on several occasions that I have seen a big jump in a 24 hour period after I make changes. In one recent auction, I doubled the number of watchers in 12 hours.

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Oh, they're VULTURES. Ha! I get it.

(Wanna hear something sad? I didn't get it because they were flapping too fast. Vultures generally soar. That's what you get when you have a degree in field biology....)

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

Hey guys, I know we're primarily menswear, but have any of you ever had trouble selling sports memorabilia? Here's the situation: sold an Upper Deck autographed picture of Ken Griffey Jr. Framed, has all of the hologram, certification and documents that show authenticity. Buyer is claiming its a fake because he can't find it on the Upper Deck online database, which doesn't cover older memorabilia like this (back when Griffey was with the Mariners). Explained this to him, and he immediately opened a SNAD case claiming its a fake. What's the best course of action? Contact Upper Deck, get some kind of verification at least regarding their policy on older item verification, or suck it up and accept the return?

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

My 2 cents:

Be proactive and push for a return/refund. Better than him claim faking and keeping it - and having to refund the money too.

It sounds like it should be easy to resell so maybe just wait for the next buyer.

14. DanM

DanM Senior member

Why would ebay allow the buyer to keep fraudulent merchandise, shouldn't they require the seller to pay returning shipping too in the absolute worst case scenario? Seems insane that someone can claim fake, doesn't have to send it to ebay to confirm, and just keeps the merch and the money.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member