Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

If you sell one item of clothing at a time Parcel Post is never the answer. But when you live in North Carolina and sell two suits, a pair of shoes, and three pairs of pants to somebody in California, Parcel Post can make sense. You will save about $15 in that example.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I finally bought GarageSale this afternoon and have been messing around with it. I have to say that I like it a lot so far and that it's fairly intuitive. I certainly don't know all of the ins and outs of it yet, so I'll likely be posting questions here as I encounter them.

I wasn't aware that there were two versions of it until I went to search for it on the App store. I went with the full version as it offered a number of options that I thought I'd use. Has anyone ever gone for the cheaper option?

I can say that it worked with no problems on Austrian/German ebay and all of the same categories came up on the list. I also found out that it was made by Germans. Anyway, I will update the thread as I use it, though there are certainly a number of people here that already use it and I'm probably slow to take advantage of it.

3. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

What's your guys feelings on the following situation...you list an item with 1 day shipping & handling processing time, buyer takes 10 days to finally pay. Do you feel you are still obligated to ship the next day? I had an item sell on the 13th, guy finally paid on the 24th and I said screw it, it can go out on Monday with the other items I have.

You think any problems will arise?

Just a note about this specific situation--same guy bought a shirt from me 2-3 months ago...got the sob story about his CC stolen and waiting on a new one to pay me, same story again on this shirt so I really feel like this one won't be an issue but would like to know your thoughts for the future.

4. silentfox74

silentfox74 Active Member

You don't get anxiety for the wait? I would be...imo...drop him next time.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

As long as you ship in a day or two it dosnt matter except that it effects your ebay seller rating if you want to be a top rated seller.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Just print the label byt change the ship date to whenever you want within next three days, ship it when you feel like it, won't be counted against you.

7. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Noob question: Up until this point, when an auction completed, the funds would not be available until the package was recieved via the tracking infromation. Just last week and I am noticing again this week, it has not being doing this, Is this something that is removed when a seller reaches a certain milestone? I'm not complaining, it actually takes away much of the headache of selling, I am just confused because I received no indication of the switch from eBay.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It was never like that when I started selling, but yes, it is part of the seller limitations until you develop a good reputation. Just the same as listing limits in certain categories.

Basically it keeps a scammer from coming in with a new ebay id, selling 500 invisible ipads and running off with the money.

9. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Make sense. Glad it's finally gone though, took a lot of patience selling, having to ship before even recieve the funds, etc. Thanks!

10. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Hey guys,

If a tie is listed as pre-owned but in the description it says "Condition is perfect" and I receive it and there is a decent sized pull on the rear and a full length run on the front is it reasonable to expect the seller to cover return shipping?

11. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Yeah I think so. If somebody returns something because it doesn't fit I usually expect them to cover return shipping but if the return is my fault (in this case misrepresented the item) I'd pay return shipping.

12. Brianpore

Reasonable....yes, but not necessarily going to happen. If you want to return something on ebay, be prepared to pair for return shipping WITH TRACKING

13. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Skeet successfully sold! So it's been a while since I've attempted to sell anything. Does he not get an invoice until I send one? Sounds obvious but I just don't, when I win something I usually pay immediately after the auction ends. Also on the send invoice page, my shipping changed from $10 and change to $15.80. Is that a preset of some sort or is it taking into account where the buyer is and adjusting the priority rate?

As always, thank you guys, I'm a seasoned ebay buyer but just getting back to the selling aspects.

14. Brianpore

So this kind of annoys me.....and you sometimes wondering why sellers get a bad reputation...

I see this in my saved searches this morning...NWT VINTAGE RUGBY RALPH LAUREN CLASSIC FIT JEANS RRL SELVEDGE - $37 BIN with shipping....seems pretty good.

Click on the link and see they arnt RRL...hmmm, maybe they are selvedge which would still be a good deal. Send a nice email asking and but nope they arnt. He says he puts "RRL" and "SELVEDGE" in the title to get more views, but its ok, because he dosnt say they are RRL or SELVEDGE in the actual item description. [​IMG] I really want to report this little bastard. For all us honest hard working sellers you have jerks who try and game the system and it annoys me.

I really hope someone buys them expecting RRL Selvedge jeans and leaves him a negative feedback.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I'm going to start putting "RRL Selvedge Indie Rockabilly" in the title of all my listings.